Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Last Album You Bought? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=91)

Everyneurotic 10.25.2007 11:35 AM

still needs to be spinned, was hoping to do it last night but didn't get the chance. will report back.

liner notes and photos are pretty cool, though.

pokkeherrie 10.26.2007 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iain
Blues Control s/t lp

i bought that too last week. also (all on cd)

boredoms - super roots 9 (good, but nothing compared to the real-life experience)
circle - earthworm ep (didn't think too much of this one so far)
diskaholics - live in japan vol. 1 (haven't listened to this yet)

i'll probably pick up some sunburned merch tonight, which i forgot last week's show. definitely fire escape and the blaze game, but not sure yet if i'll go for the cd or the orange vinyl (if they still have that one).

clever name 10.26.2007 06:23 PM

My recent acquisitions:

PJ Harvey, White Chalk

Common Sense, Finding Forever

The Birthday Party, S/T

Does anybody know of anything related to The Pop Group that your average obsessive listener might not know about? I would do awful things to know.

Onani Nic 10.27.2007 09:23 AM

Ash Pool- World turns on its hinge

Great crusty black metal band fronted by Prurient.

ALIEN ANAL 10.27.2007 09:57 AM

i think i bought a Helmet album to see what they were like

Everyneurotic 10.27.2007 11:48 AM

get the blaze game, totally recommended!!!!!

i bought:

prurient/kevin drumm - all are guests in the house of the lord tape

sonicl 10.27.2007 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clever name
Does anybody know of anything related to The Pop Group that your average obsessive listener might not know about? I would do awful things to know.

So as to avoid us looking like asses, what things related to The Pop Group do you know?

I assume that the Rip Rig and Panic / Pigbag / Mark Stewart and The Mafia / Tackhead Sound System bases are already covered?

SYRFox 10.27.2007 12:38 PM

And I always think about it as the ALBUM OF THE MONTH and one of the ALBUM THE YEAR. It's an incredible one

clever name 10.27.2007 01:23 PM

Yes, thank you sonicl. Panic/Maffia I have stuff by, Pigbag and this other thing, Head, I haven't dipped into yet, but is Tackhead Sound System the same as Head?

Gee, if there was a Pop Group re-union album or even just one new song like on a soundtrack or something, well I don't know what I'd to. Maybe wear underpants like a hat. It's still the most contemporary music I think I've ever heard.

waltercarson 10.27.2007 03:28 PM

nnck - live @ ken's electric lake
treetops - in the vanilla grove...

nicfit 10.27.2007 03:48 PM

thurston's "trees..." and a bunch of REALLY CHEAP sy singles (cds) on ebay.
p.s. does anybody have a "full list" of sy singles released in cd format? Right now I'm too lazy to check the release infos on CL mustang's site...

gmku 10.28.2007 04:49 PM

Moby Grape - Moby Grape (New! Sundazed LP! Mono! Includes poster! Don Stevenson is giving me the finger!)

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue (1970s reissue LP in primo shape)

Rapeman - Two Nuns and a Pack Mule (LP)

Kylerobert 10.28.2007 05:31 PM

DJ Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince..haha

m1rr0r dash 10.28.2007 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kylerobert
DJ Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince..haha

...nice.

sun city girl 10.29.2007 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SYRFox

And I always think about it as the ALBUM OF THE MONTH and one of the ALBUM THE YEAR. It's an incredible one

i bought this today, great stuff!

scott v 10.30.2007 03:59 PM

Masayuki Takayanagi - Complete LaGrima
Masayuki Takayanagi New Direction Unit - Axis: Another Revolvable Thing Vol 1 & 2

Iain 11.02.2007 10:02 AM

I got some cds recently but they were free. They were:

Simon Finn - Pass the Distance
Harmonia - Live 1974
Air Conditioning - Dead Rails

Haven't listened to the Finn one yet but the Harmonia one is nice, as you might expect, and the Air Conditioning one is fierce. I am enjoying that one greatly...why has pretty much no-one mentioned this record? (I think I recall someone mention it vaguely...maybe)

sonicl 11.02.2007 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clever name
Yes, thank you sonicl. Panic/Maffia I have stuff by, Pigbag and this other thing, Head, I haven't dipped into yet, but is Tackhead Sound System the same as Head?

Ah - ignore me. I'm getting my Bristolians mixed up. It was Gary Clail who worked with Tackhead, I was thinking Mark Stewart. He did work with them, because Tackhead and The Mafia were the same people, but Mark Stewart didn't work with them when they were being Tackhead (does that makes sense?).

Anyway, have you seen the October issue of The Wire, which had an article about the Bristol scene and its history?

Savage Clone 11.02.2007 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iain
Haven't listened to the Finn one yet but the Harmonia one is nice, as you might expect, and the Air Conditioning one is fierce. I am enjoying that one greatly...why has pretty much no-one mentioned this record? (I think I recall someone mention it vaguely...maybe)

My friend Jesse played a show with Air Conditioning last week, and had much praise for them. I was unable to attend, and now I feel my loss even more.

I bought the new Kinski LP at the show last night. Haven't been able to buy jack shit for a while.

Iain 11.02.2007 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
My friend Jesse played a show with Air Conditioning last week, and had much praise for them. I was unable to attend, and now I feel my loss even more.

I bought the new Kinski LP at the show last night. Haven't been able to buy jack shit for a while.

Oddly enough, at the time I got the Air Conditioning and Harmonia cds for free, my friend Carl got the new Kinski and that The Thing w/ The Cato Salsa Experience and Joe McPhee cd. We came a lousy 3rd in a pop quiz but got those 4 cds as a prize. I was tempted by the Kinski one...I'll get a copy of it though I reckon.