Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Kim Gordon and Thurston Moore Announce Split (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=60443)

Genteel Death 10.30.2011 04:33 AM

Genteel Death 10.30.2011 04:34 AM

Genteel Death 10.30.2011 04:38 AM

Dude McDude 10.30.2011 10:34 AM

Right now, i'm more bummed over the fact that BJ Penn lost to Nick social skills Diaz.

Gulasch Noir 10.30.2011 10:35 AM

Some of the pictures you've posted in this thread are quite brilliant, Mr. Genteel Death.

hirsute_biped 10.30.2011 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badgercorn
So in that Lee interview:

DD: You’ve been friends for over thirty years, and even your non-Sonic Youth projects tend to feature collaborations with each other. Could you ever imagine a time when you didn’t play together?

LR: Well, we’ll have to see what the future holds right now. Steve and I are certainly working together right now on this band project of mine, and I’d be surprised if we all didn’t work on things, whether all together or in smaller groupings, at some point in the future. At this time, the fate of the band is not determined. I expect a prolonged hibernation, at very least, after the upcoming dates we have in South America next month. Plus, we have so much history, so much work together that, no matter what. there will be so many things to tie us together in the future for quite some time…historical, archival releases and other projects of that sort. My motto tends to be “change is good” and I'm hopeful that applies in this case. Anyway, I’m happy to leave it at that for the moment.

Hmmmm.

thanks, and congradulations: first relevant post (including my own) in 24 pages

EVOLghost 10.30.2011 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dude McDude
Right now, i'm more bummed over the fact that BJ Penn lost to Nick social skills Diaz.

lol UFC.

Dude McDude 10.30.2011 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EVOLghost
lol UFC.

Yes. Not that i wanted to take anything away from the split frustration.

CHOUT 10.30.2011 03:27 PM

Here's a text from a friend yesterday...
"My cousin is at a wedding and met a person who plays in Thurston's band. The band member said it's not yet official, but SY is done. She says the T&K split is ugly."
Not 100% credible, take it how you want...

o'connor 10.30.2011 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHOUT
"My cousin is at a wedding and met a person who plays in Thurston's band. The band member said it's not yet official, but SY is done. She says the T&K split is ugly."

that blows

EVOLghost 10.31.2011 01:55 AM

Quote:

please don't say such bad things.

_slavo_ 10.31.2011 01:57 AM

Quote:

that sucks

ann ashtray 10.31.2011 04:24 AM

Betrayal, maybe. Definitely not guaranteed. And by no means is getting a divorce immature, especially considering their age. They know what they are doing and the reasons behind it. They are the only people that have the right to know. People divorce everyday...even middle aged/older people. Sometimes it really is for the best.

Their marriage, as far as I can tell, lasted longer than most. Surely that stands for something.

ann ashtray 10.31.2011 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by groar
bitch, make believe I don't exist-if you wanna jack off to me, go ahead, I don't care about that,
it's your lack of engaging intellectual output, I'm really BORED of it. know when to walk away, if we were in a public place, you'd have excused yourself to the restroom to get away from the conversation, in public we wouldn't hang, stop tagging along with me here. Know your output in a general sense before I read it, now I don't have to read it, because I've blocked your content, that's how interested I am in you ann
Not everything from GA is cool, my best homies YES, REM little geeks behind pop williamson record sleeves not great

haha

Lamont Cranston 10.31.2011 07:37 AM

What are the hints people speak of?

floatingslowly 10.31.2011 01:14 PM

personally, I'm secretly hoping that this is all Yoko's fault.

Genteel Death 10.31.2011 05:31 PM

Genteel Death 10.31.2011 05:58 PM

EVOLghost 11.01.2011 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floatingslowly
personally, I'm secretly hoping that this is all Yoko's fault.

Thurston had an affair with Yoko.

Pelle 11.01.2011 08:51 AM

Quote:

I'm not quite familiar with every english expression, so what did he mean with "the T&K split is ugly" ? That it's not happening or that it's chaotic?

Count Mecha 11.01.2011 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pelle
I'm not quite familiar with every english expression, so what did he mean with "the T&K split is ugly" ? That it's not happening or that it's chaotic?

He was implying chaos. That it was not a very smooth breakup and that there will be alot of bad blood.

Pelle 11.01.2011 12:17 PM

oh, damn :(

Genteel Death 11.01.2011 06:29 PM

Sonic Youth should really call it a day. they haven't been truly great for quite some time now. You will get over it, and there are more interesting people making music right now. If you can't find them, with the wealth of information that is available to you on the internet, fuck off and die. Nobody cares. You're probably more likely to get over it and perhaps stop listening to your favourite records by PJ Harvey, who's old enough to be your grandmother. There used to be a time when us old people were told to go back and listen to our records by people who recorded them in our youth. Now, it seems, more young people listen to us old people's old records, or certainly by artists who seem unable to create something that doesn't sound like them. Get your own youth culture, dickehads.

E. Noisefield 11.01.2011 07:33 PM

Nah, they shouldn't break up. Honestly, I don't think they will. Not the band. Not yet. I think they'll make a final statement of some kind. We know they've been recording here and there (always are), and they respect their fans and eachother too much to just drop it.

Unless this was a really messy split-up and shit's been bad between Thurston and Kim. .

jennthebenn 11.01.2011 07:44 PM

I'm an old, voracious consumer. Can't help it. Would rather it not be
helped.

EVOLghost 11.01.2011 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genteel Death
Sonic Youth should really call it a day. they haven't been truly great for quite some time now. You will get over it, and there are more interesting people making music right now. If you can't find them, with the wealth of information that is available to you on the internet, fuck off and die. Nobody cares. You're probably more likely to get over it and perhaps stop listening to your favourite records by PJ Harvey, who's old enough to be your grandmother. There used to be a time when us old people were told to go back and listen to our records by people who recorded them in our youth. Now, it seems, more young people listen to us old people's old records, or certainly by artists who seem unable to create something that doesn't sound like them. Get your own youth culture, dickehads.

lol fuck off. If you don't care that's fine, but you must understand that it's not JUST about the music to some people you fuck.

jon boy 11.01.2011 09:57 PM

my guess is they will do the south american tour, see how that goes and if they wanna continue to tour based on that. my guess is they wont tour for a very long time, if at all. adios sy.

Lamont Cranston 11.02.2011 12:38 AM

They're probably sticking with the South American tour because bailing out would mean paying the promoter and others mucho money, and they're not a band thats ever had that sort of luxury.

Genteel Death 11.02.2011 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EVOLghost
lol fuck off. If you don't care that's fine, but you must understand that it's not JUST about the music to some people you fuck.

Thin_icE 11.02.2011 04:20 AM

Quote:

Sonic Youth should really call it a day. they haven't been truly great for quite some time now.

The best way to answer to this is with another quote of yourself:
Quote:

fuck off and die.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamont Cranston
They're probably sticking with the South American tour because bailing out would mean paying the promoter and others mucho money, and they're not a band thats ever had that sort of luxury.

floatingslowly 11.02.2011 08:31 AM

hold him down, Gabbers; I'm going to punch him in his stinking piehole.

scott v 11.02.2011 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foreverasskiss
I totally agree. They should break up and if they do, I wouldn't give a fuck. I mean, they have like what... 17 albums. If they go out, they go out on a high note, but what's up with this 'youth culture' shit? People like music, whether it's old or new. Kids like what they like and a lot of kids are just now getting into Sonic Youth. I'm pretty sure people here check out new music all the time. Rock music is old, Rap is over 30 years old, electronic music is even older. So.....what's really new?

Rappin about bitches and getting your dick sucked?
Power chords and screaming?
Dance beats with synths?
Captain Beefheart wantabees?
Feedback masturbation?

It's all been done. The mainstream just hasn't exploited it yet. I'm pretty sure, 30 years from now, Captain Beefheart like bands will be the new craze.

Captain beefheart like bands have been the craze and in a way its already happened, probably at least twice... definitely in the late 70's early 80's with the NYC No Wave movement, whether these bands knew it or not there is a similiarity between them and beefheart especially structurally and the atonal guitars, but they didn't have a much of an audience at all until 20 or so years later... then another derivative movement in the early 00's with early Black Dice (when they were more of a noise/hardcore band), Sightings, early-Liars, and supposedly the Yeah Yeah Yeahs (not IMO though)... this was all kinda featured in that documentary called Kill Yr Idols eventhough i think the relationship between the original No NY bands and the newer generation from the past 10 or so years is pretty loose. some of these bands are pretty well known in alternative music circles now, (i.e. The Liars, & The Yeah Yeah Yeahs), I'm not sure if it would get any more popular than it has already become.

Derek 11.02.2011 10:28 AM

Quote:

Word.

sonikdeathmonkey 11.02.2011 11:18 AM

"When taking down monuments, leave the pedestals, they always come in handy."

Stanislav Lec

Genteel Death 11.02.2011 03:40 PM

quote:

a few years ago, both thurston and lee were asked to design some special edition mustang guitars for fender.
they were released to great fanfare.
well it turns out, kim was really disappointed that no one asked to put out HER guitar.
you know how she's always moaning on about women's rights and such.
well, it turns out, she wouldn't shut up about it, and finally Fender had to recall thurston and lee's guitars.
when forced to renegotiate, thurston and lee were to tell fender that unless they put out a kim gordon guitar,
than they couldn't lend their names to the brand.
fender refused, and the line was put out of production.
thurston and both lee were resentful of this ultra PC bent that kim forced them to adopt(as per usual. . ?)
this proved to be the final dividing line however, as thurston continually confronted kim about her ruining his passive cash cow,
and that her feminist PC stance on the guitars was really just masking her insecurities about her validity as a "real musician"
thurston exploited this to the point where kim eventually moved out of their connecticut home, and this led to thurston ultimately asking for
a divorce. apparently, he has met someone. wild flag ?

the mystery continues.

i saw thurston was at their(wild flag) show the other night.

stealing all tha riot grrl's hearts.

that dog.
http://terminal-boredom.com/forums/i...topic=34143.45

EVOLghost 11.02.2011 03:49 PM

woah. Does that quote come from that site? My school has it blocked right now....

jennthebenn 11.02.2011 03:50 PM

Yeah...there's a lot wrong with that. It's...not complex.

Pelle 11.02.2011 03:55 PM

Well how bout that...:eek:

Genteel Death 11.02.2011 03:57 PM

I can't really confirm anything. Just read it today on that forum and thought I should post it on here. I wouldn't know what to believe myself. Could be only a rumour. It could be not. Who knows?

EVOLghost 11.02.2011 04:02 PM

kk...finally seen it. I would love to know where that person "read" it from.