Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Girl In A Band: A Memoir (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=109959)

whorefrost 03.17.2015 04:39 AM

Yeah, it's up.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 03.17.2015 09:07 AM

It is called sonic youth gossip

whorefrost 03.17.2015 04:33 PM

/thread

!@#$%! 03.17.2015 08:46 PM

i finished the book today. it was fucking fantastic. the audio version has a boatload of chapters-- like 54 of them. !!

one of them is just kim reading the lyrics of kotton krown.

parts of it were heart-wrenching but i love the way it ended on a high note-- go kim go!

!@#$%! 03.17.2015 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schizophrenicroom
i wonder if that post she mentions in her book is still up on here

http://sonicyouth.com/gossip/showpos...1&postcount=27

eta: i think kim didn't read the post correctly-- she says they (chicka) added the quote "some men just want to watch the world burn" but that's his signature-- it wasn't specific to that post. after all someone showed her the post, she says-- yes?

Rob Instigator 03.18.2015 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dead_battery
this thread has gone too far.

that never happens around here....

whorefrost 03.18.2015 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
the audio version has a boatload of chapters-- like 54 of them. !!

one of them is just kim reading the lyrics of kotton krown.

whoa.. sounds identical to the print version

!@#$%! 03.18.2015 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whorefrost
whoa.. sounds identical to the print version

i thought it had so many chapters to help find the audio bits somewhat easier, ha ha. they were super short! i didn't remember chapter numbers in jico's upload of page scans. now i went back there & spotted them.

if you have the print-- does she call godard's movie "pierrot le fou" or "pierre le fou"? i think it's in the x-girl chapter-- in audio she calls it "pierre" (which is wrong). wondering if it is a misprint or a mispronounciation.

one thing i found surprising in the story-- i didn't know they had full time jobs up to so late in their discography! damn!

was left wanting to know how they met lee. he just appears.

whorefrost 03.18.2015 12:21 PM

Pierrot le fou

!@#$%! 03.18.2015 12:41 PM

thanks!

Rob Instigator 03.18.2015 12:58 PM

Lee is a phantasm of skronk, who appears whenever a true believer needs him to, to help their noise-rock ways.

Lee rules.

whorefrost 03.18.2015 01:01 PM

Quote:

one thing i found surprising in the story-- i didn't know they had full time jobs up to so late in their discography! damn!

was left wanting to know how they met lee. he just appears.

Have you read any other SY books brother? Years since I read it but I recall Goodbye 20th Century in particular going into a hell of a lot of detail.

!@#$%! 03.18.2015 01:26 PM

Quote:

Have you read any other SY books brother?

no. i've never read "celeb bios," which is why i was puzzled about some of the comments porks made-- i have nothing to compare.

i just bought this book because i liked the writing. i'm simple like that.

Quote:

Years since I read it but I recall Goodbye 20th Century in particular going into a hell of a lot of detail.

now i'm curious!

whorefrost 03.18.2015 01:53 PM

Quote:

no. i've never read "celeb bios," which is why i was puzzled about some of the comments porks made-- i have nothing to compare.

i just bought this book because i liked the writing. i'm simple like that.

now i'm curious!

Wow! Had you down as kind of a fanatic as well! No wonder you're curious.. but I'm curious as to the emergence of your curiousity, you're only curious now? You've never thought of picking up an SY bio before? Or maybe Kim's book has whetted your appetite? Hehe

!@#$%! 03.18.2015 02:07 PM

Quote:

Wow! Had you down as kind of a fanatic as well! No wonder you're curious.. but I'm curious as to the emergence of your curiousity, you're only curious now? You've never thought of picking up an SY bio before? Or maybe Kim's book has whetted your appetite? Hehe

nah, i'm not a fanatic-- i'm more of a habitual skeptic.

i'm also not a collector of anything-- i lack the patience and the innate fetishism. having adhd, i abandon things quickly when they get boring.

i got curious about the audio book first because it's more casual & less committed than a printed tome, but tjico's pirated scans got me *really* interested in the way she pieced things together.

in the process i found some interesting bits, like how hard is it to make a living as an artist even when you're successful. looks daunting.

it's not joyce's portrait but it's a portrait of an artist and she seems a good one.

Toilet & Bowels 03.18.2015 02:15 PM

If yr interested in good writing don't bother with the Goodbye 20th C book, it's full of facts but the style is almost unbearable at times

Rob Instigator 03.18.2015 02:24 PM

lots of good facts though.

It is very very hard to find a book about bands or music that has "good writing."

Most of it is more utilitarian.

Genteel Death 03.18.2015 02:24 PM

A good book if you like David Bowie's records is Hugo Wilken's ''David Bowie's Low''. If you love the album I think this book will make you love it even more.

whorefrost 03.18.2015 02:57 PM

Quote:

nah, i'm not a fanatic-- i'm more of a habitual skeptic.

Wow, you've racked up a hell of a lot of posts on the Sonic Youth gossip board for a habitual skeptic! :-)

stu666 03.18.2015 03:22 PM

https://thehappyreader.com/