Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   roundhouse - saturday (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=16013)

greenlight 09.02.2007 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _slavo_
The gig itself was absolutely fantastic, most likely the best concert I've ever been to. Expressway was sheer heaven, it's hard to describe the energy coming from the twin drumming unit Shelley/Corsano...fantastic !!! Also, I think that the RR songs sounded much better than on the gigs I went to before during this tour (Prague, Vienna).

Apart from that, I was highly pleased to meet fellow boardies sonicl, bertrand, diamond sea and pokkeherrie, to whom I thank for nice chat (and especially to stephen who took a picture of me w/Kim and Thurston). Too bad I did not meet the other boardies on the gig, since this was probably the only possibility to say hello to you, but nevertheles...it was worth coming all the way here to England.

i'm glad you've enjoyed the gig and met boardies and mostly that you made a picture with Thurston and Kim. Where did you meet them?

btw, what about my poster ;)?

farmhouse 09.02.2007 10:45 AM

yes yes sonicl, share share share!

ted_kennedy 09.02.2007 10:45 AM

I was at the show last night and I thought it was shit - made me change my whole perspective on things. Sound quality was part of it (bang bangs sounded shit).

I did miss the 2nd encore though, and I think I wouldve liked the Corsano/Shelley dual drum thing.

The venue was great - never seen a barbecue at a gig before!

farmhouse 09.02.2007 10:47 AM

^ hello, what?

maggot brain 09.02.2007 10:56 AM

bang bangs?

screamingskull 09.02.2007 11:16 AM

it was wicked, way better than fridays performance!

farmhouse 09.02.2007 11:18 AM

^ eh?

screamingskull 09.02.2007 11:23 AM

ah, i see what i did there.

Bertrand 09.02.2007 12:07 PM

The opening act was excellent.
Corsano's name has been dropped in quite a few threads, stating how good he was. I'll agree from now on.
When they brought his kit for the encore, I found myself on the right side of the stage (mostly gone there to sit down and rest my feet) and found a spot before the song started by the guard rail. I could see Corsano pretty well, how his arms and legs move, all clear and amazing, with Steve's drums beside him booming forward.
The show wasn't as satisfying as the one on the previous night (for me). I felt at times they were trashing their own songs. And Steve had played too well friday, he wasn't... I feel like committing a crime saying that, I'll skip, as he got better by Kissability.
Highlights for me were Silver Rocket, Joni, Trilogy and that last song.
I met many people, tall persons elbowing their way to the middle of the venue with pints and pints of beer, talking to each other while this band Sonic Youth played some stuff, or barking they wanted to knooooow in my ears when I couldn't care less about them. Had to back up to a different spot.
Found other persons after the gig, the same as I met at the door: sonicl, diamondsea, _slavo_, pokkeherrie; hello people !!! it was nice meeting you !!!
For lalie : Kim was wearing her silver dress with broad black stripes.

farmhouse 09.02.2007 12:20 PM

both nights were excellent ... because i had completely different experiences. first night i got heavily trashed on alcohol and danced like a flailing weirdo getting the full effect right in front of thurston. car sick cars i liked a lot . . . schizophrenia was a lovely surprise at the end . . . i was a wreck . . . a joyous cripple at that point.
second night (sat.) got down in front of lee and watched with more attention less inebriated took some shots etc. .. . blown away by corsano again as the support . . then could barely take my eyes off him for the expressway encore which was just breathtaking sublime, and almost made up for the fact that i didn't go to the jazz fest earlier in the week.

got back to my car at about 12 . . . it was clamped . . . i won't relate the rest of that particular evening's events.

Bertrand 09.02.2007 12:27 PM

Thurston moved with his guitar as if he had been in Devo, and smiled at that, during the first part of the show (or was it me?).

zhivago 09.02.2007 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicl
Welcome to the board, Zhivago.

thank you, sir :)

sonicl 09.02.2007 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenlight
do you have whole show sonicl?

No, only Expressway. I saw Chris Corsano's drumkit being set up again and thought "This could be historic, I think I'll film it". There was someone recording audio of the full show though.

_slavo_ 09.02.2007 05:21 PM

I'm sorry for showing off, this just made me a happy guy for a while:

(thanks to sonicl)

sanity 09.02.2007 07:39 PM

hey im new to this board thing... and was first time i saw SY live. cant really describe in words how great a gig it was. was making a bit of a twat out of myself was kind of hungover but ridiculously over-excited which was weird... and sorry to the people i kinda got pushed between at the front (if you post here) i wasnt really in control of where i got pushed or anything... but ye, was an awesome night.

trapdoor 09.02.2007 10:43 PM

the zine interlude

folks at the roundhouse on saturday night wandering what that magazine was that Thurston held up and spoke a little about towards the end of their set... it's an underground poetry/lit zine published in the UK called 'Unquiet Desperation'. found 'em here:

http://www.myspace.com/unquietdesperation

pretty cool.x

k-krack 09.02.2007 11:18 PM

Holy fuck, Corsano on Expressway?!?!?!?!?!?! DANNY, YOU GOTTA TELL ME THESE THINGS!
I need to hear this!!!

Tokolosh 09.03.2007 02:52 AM

Looks like SY did it again. :)

sarramkrop 09.03.2007 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _slavo_
I'm sorry for showing off, this just made me a happy guy for a while:

(thanks to sonicl)

Excellent. I don't think I've regreted missing a Sonic Youth show as much as I did this one, even more so because by the sound of it they were a blast. Slavo, that wasn't me at Euston station, I was making my way home from Vauxhaull at that time last night. Perhaps it might have been one of my many impersonators.

sonicl 09.03.2007 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farmhouse
yes yes sonicl, share share share!

See the Sonic Sharing section.