Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   the thematic meaning of sonic nurse (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=14939)

RanaldoNecro 07.24.2007 12:00 AM

Wasn't it the album where the Sonics all read a book and then came back and collaborated around that?

Or was that Murray Street.

The Nurse artwork is stunning. I love the idea of dripping paint being complete (under the word nurse on the cover)

I suppose their is some revenge themes in there. Nursing is maybe a profession in trouble?

Here is a link...
http://www.nursingadvocacy.org/media...paintings.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by mushmanski57@hotmail.com
Possibly my second favourite SY album.

I don't think there's a specific concept to it, though.

to.w 07.24.2007 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forensic Scene
that album is really genius in the way it sounds as a whole. it really blends the songs into a solid album. not many albums do that besides like NYC Ghosts and Flowers (which is so underrated beyond belief). I think that it is an album that has many cruel undertones and pain. "Unmade Bed" is certainly about the painful wishes and regrets that come with a desired man. ""Stones" is about the dead and hippy drug gen./culture. "Dude Ranch Nurse" always had a hint of sadism in it. "Peace attack" and "Paper Cup Exit" are both political in a dark sense. Thats why the album is great bc it has no central theme, but the music/instruments certainly make it feel that way.

at least, this is one interesting answer! thank you Forensic Scene! I actually agree with you! I even see NYC G&F, Murray Street and Sonic Nurse as 3 "concept albums" (I don't really like this expression, but it's the closest to my idea). Three albums about politics, urban landscapes, laughing at the ridiculous, emphasizing magic... They're the best SY trilogy after a)b)z)...

atsonicpark 07.24.2007 07:58 AM

it's not as good as the movie body melt, so who gives a fcuk

Forensic Scene 07.24.2007 08:57 AM

they really show their musicianship in this record. I feel like Murray Street really gave them the push with the direction Jim was leading them into with a cleaner, more professional and tighter sound. I do think the only song that sticks out is "Mariah Carey..." because it was not mixed like the rest of the songs. however still a good'n.

jetengine 07.24.2007 09:06 AM

If you think trying to have a meaningful conversation about Sonic Nurse can stir up shit and brainless responses, don't even think about discussing A Thousand Leaves. That record's easily their darkest and deepest of their post-indie mainstream releases, but if you attempt to analyse it conceptually, all the jealous (or brainless) so-called fans will pounce on you. It seems forums like this one are mainly intended for the duh-uh division of music fans the world over.

atsonicpark 07.24.2007 09:28 AM

a thousand leaves is their last good record.

nicfit 07.24.2007 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark

ha ha ha you're funny.

HaydenAsche 07.24.2007 01:17 PM

It's about the downfall of a once very good band that decided to make terrible terrible records.

HaydenAsche 07.24.2007 01:18 PM

Quote:

Truth.

nicfit 07.24.2007 02:00 PM

Quote:

Oh, I misread "least good", sorry. But you're still funny.

diane durden 07.24.2007 02:14 PM

Nurse Theme

Quote:

Originally Posted by Armenia
Hi there y'all,

I'm new here and I've got a question; I've always been wondering what the sonic nurse album is all about.
I've heard someone referencing to the power of the thematic side of the album before and it's kinda bothering me that I don't know what the nursetheme is all about.. and that might also be the reason that I don't rate the album really high.

So, what do you think it's about?

Hey Armenia- I felt compelled to answer albeit incompletely. I love the music of Sonic Nurse. It's smooth, trancelike, cool guitars and love the drumming/stick playing. Kim's vocals really take you in. What does a nurse do? They care for you when you are vulnerable, sometimes control and have power/authority over you. That says a bit. I'm not sure I understand if you just don't like the music or don't like the concept of the album. Pattern Recognition is an incredible song. Anyway I'll think about it more. Diane

atsonicpark 07.24.2007 03:42 PM

oh no hayden you speak the truth!! even though it's negative!! prepare to be flamed!!!!!!!!

atari 2600 07.24.2007 03:50 PM

www.richardprinceart.com is temporarily unavailable.

Someone at Metafilter earlier this month referenced an old link (I remember this article from back then) to the Nursing Advocacy group:
http://www.nursingadvocacy.org/media...nic_nurse.html

Nurses speak out: Grey's Anatomy sucks, Sonic Youth rules

July 14, 2007 4:25 PM

The Center for Nursing Advocacy seems like your typical professional advocacy group—the group's mandate is "to increase public understanding of the central, front-line role nurses play in modern health care." While often the group does its work by highlighting serious issues facing the nursing profession, the Center also keeps a watchful eye on portrayals of nurses in popular culture, both good and bad (Grey's). And then there are the reviews that, frankly, seem to be stretching things just a bit (SY).

Daddylikes 07.24.2007 04:45 PM

If you think trying to have a meaningful conversation about Sonic Nurse can stir up shit and brainless responses, don't even think about discussing A Thousand Leaves. That record's easily their darkest and deepest of their post-indie mainstream releases, but if you attempt to analyse it conceptually, all the jealous (or brainless) so-called fans will pounce on you. It seems forums like this one are mainly intended for the duh-uh division of music fans the world over.

I prefer to call that record "Sadako and the Thousand Paper Crayons".

Trasher02 07.24.2007 05:09 PM

Quote:

but anyone who tries to kid themselves into thinking sonic youth is still making good music and hasn't been a decline for years?...

I beg to differ.
Sonic Nurse is one of my favorite SY albums.
Tell me Adam, why do you think it's such a shit album?

SynthethicalY 07.24.2007 05:55 PM

My only thing with it is the Mariah Carey song, it just seems out of place. They could have gone with a better track.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 07.24.2007 06:13 PM

I thought that Sonic Nurse was abouting mixing chaos and classic rhythm together as best as possible, or at least I remember reading something about that in an interview somewhere. like it was an experiment to see how musically mathematical and spontaneous at the same time.

Disgruntled Youth 07.24.2007 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SynthethicalY
My only thing with it is the Mariah Carey song, it just seems out of place. They could have gone with a better track.

I second that!!!

atsonicpark 07.24.2007 10:03 PM

cuz it makes me sniffle!

total-trash 07.24.2007 10:59 PM

the first time i listened to sonic nurse i wasn't into it at all. it's an acquired sound