Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Would you still listen to your old SY records if Lee Ranaldo was convicted as a paedo (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=23172)

RanaldoNecro 07.03.2008 04:56 PM

No, I am not suggesting that. I am suggesting that we gather our morals and norms from such things as media, books, music and art.

Sonic Youth have added pushed the envelope of what is possible to be printed, listened to or heard.

If something has been mentioned in the arts, the general public will catch on later on.

RanaldoNecro 07.03.2008 04:57 PM

Ahem, so do I take it you're comparing people hounded for their left-leaning beliefs to people who take sexual pleasure in children being raped, abused and humiliated...

I am comparing the fear and the witch-hunt mentality as being similar....

demonrail666 07.03.2008 04:58 PM

Forget Throbbing Gristle. It's all about the S Club Jnrs on my wing.

Magic Wheel Memory 07.03.2008 04:59 PM

I would still listen to records I already owned, but I would never spend another dime on the band. I don't believe it's right to give financial support to such people. I see this as no different than boycotting companies that employ child laborers, abuse the environment, etc.

RanaldoNecro 07.03.2008 05:01 PM

Hopefully everyone hear can consider that the media are vicious and hungry for a 'Superstar trial' where blood is spilled.

Like Michael Jackson's trial for instance...

RanaldoNecro 07.03.2008 05:02 PM

BTW, Hearing that OJ might make coin off his books etc, really make my stomach sick.

Rab 07.03.2008 05:52 PM

Yes. Music is something you either like or you don't. It doesn't mean you in any way subscribe to any other aspects of the performers' personalities. Glitter's music should still be made available.

Wasn't Johnny Ramone alleged to have been a racist?

demonrail666 07.03.2008 05:55 PM

I kno he was a big time supporter of the Republican party.

pokkeherrie 07.03.2008 06:12 PM

I'd let Lee get away with anything, but Thurston? Never.

Nah, I don't think I'd let a conviction for something disgusting influence my listenings to artists I like.

On the other hand, if I didn't like the artists anyway then I'd surely use it as an extra reason to dislike and talk bad about them, because I'm a hypocrite like that.

EMMAh 07.03.2008 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokkeherrie
On the other hand, if I didn't like the artists anyway then I'd surely use it as an extra reason to dislike and talk bad about them, because I'm a hypocrite like that.

Yeah, same.

Danny Himself 07.03.2008 06:16 PM

I think I would pretty ok with Lee having sex with my children

you know, if I had any

he's done more for me then they (hypothetically) have..

demonrail666 07.03.2008 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny Himself
I think I would pretty ok with Lee having sex with my children

you know, if I had any

he's done more for me then they (hypothetically) have..

And the winner of the best post in the history of Sonic Youth Gossip goes tooooooooo Mr Himself.

reginald 07.03.2008 09:18 PM

Roman Polanski is still a great director and his sexual proclivities have no bearing on my appreciation for his talents.

He could fuck animals and I woudn't care.

Pretty harsh to even 'setup' a scenario as this though...highly inflammatory, even in jest or hypothetically.

BTW, of course I'd still listen to Sonic Youth without hesitation.

viewtiful_alan 07.03.2008 11:46 PM

Leadbelly was twice convicted of murder... XD

viewtiful_alan 07.03.2008 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rab
Yes. Music is something you either like or you don't. It doesn't mean you in any way subscribe to any other aspects of the performers' personalities. Glitter's music should still be made available.

Wasn't Johnny Ramone alleged to have been a racist?

he carried around a kkk membership as a joke.

Cantankerous 07.03.2008 11:48 PM

yeah
the idea of lee as a paedo is funny

and lol gary glitter. no one ever thought to watch out for him...

viewtiful_alan 07.03.2008 11:49 PM

Why Lee... XD are you implying that he seems the most pedophilist of them all (yes I made up a word) XD

sarramkrop 07.04.2008 03:38 AM

Yes. I still have some Gary Glitter records that I enjoy too.

sarramkrop 07.04.2008 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I've had this thought before...

It's hard to separate an artist from his art, at least in my eyes... it's difficult for me to, say, read a book by someone I don't like, regardless of how good of a writer it is. But I still acknowledge him as a good writer.

It is not that hard. I find most people who make music despicable human beings and that still doesn't stop me from appreciating their records.

sarramkrop 07.04.2008 03:54 AM

I bet that if Kim Gordon was the molester she'd get away with it a little more.