Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   current obsessions? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=6722)

DeadDiscoDildo 11.23.2010 02:05 PM

^^It's so moving, when that slow part comes in.

I remember the first time I heard it. I was super super sick with mono, grabbed a gershwin CD from my dad's collection cuz I had never heard much of it and remember brian wilson interviews talking it up.

The song is so long already I was just kind of zoning out to it, kind of forgetting it was the same song ya know? Almost falling asleep in the tub (I was taking a bath) and then the slow part came in....

felt like I was fucking floating or melting in the tub...it was beautiful...

for a few minutes, I didnt feel sick at all.

DeadDiscoDildo 11.23.2010 02:36 PM

Analog delay pedals.

EVOLghost 11.23.2010 02:38 PM

^^ didn't Gershwin write rib like the night before?

DeadDiscoDildo 11.23.2010 02:40 PM

Yeah he just slammed it out like it was nothing, on a deadline I believe...

that fucker...

noisereductions 11.23.2010 02:48 PM

yeah wasn't he commissioned to write it for some event or smething?

DeadDiscoDildo 11.23.2010 02:50 PM

Just wiki'd it.

It was for this concert with the theme "what is american music".

The guy who was putting on the concert rushed the deadline when he heard his rival was going to steal his idea and told gerswhin he had 5 weeks.

Gershwin finished it 8 days before it was due. Got the idea on the train to Boston.

Titled "American Rhapsody". His brother Ira suggested changing it to something like Noctume in Black and Gold, etc.

Thank god for Ira.

Inhuman 11.23.2010 03:10 PM

Lately:

-Volunteering for Erowid.org
-Psilocybin
-Developing a new idea for an online business with some buddies to sell hip hop beats
-Worms World Party

DeadDiscoDildo 11.23.2010 03:13 PM

mmmm, psilocybin

SONIC GAIL 11.23.2010 03:15 PM

boots...scarves...whiskey...buying more music........crime shows.......Swans Killing Company

SONIC GAIL 11.23.2010 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadDiscoDildo
mmmm, psilocybin

my thoughts exactly:D

!@#$%! 11.23.2010 04:04 PM

SEX AND POWER

really, who doesn't?

alteredcourse 11.23.2010 04:13 PM

Haha, agreed.

EVOLghost 11.23.2010 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadDiscoDildo
Yeah he just slammed it out like it was nothing, on a deadline I believe...

that fucker...

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
yeah wasn't he commissioned to write it for some event or smething?

ya...I remember listening to it on NPR. (drivin' through michigan.)

Dr. Eugene Felikson 02.05.2011 07:32 PM

John Waters
Cowboy Bebop

atsonicpark 02.05.2011 07:48 PM

parking a running car in the garage, with all doors locked and windows rolled up and wrapping up in a few blankets.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 02.05.2011 08:07 PM

^ party pooper

atsonicpark 02.05.2011 08:40 PM

cowboy bebop is one of the best animes of all time. even people who hate anime love it.

i'd say, by far the best anime series ever (and i'm pretty knowledgable whne it comes to anime) is NEON GENESIS EVANGELION. it's cliche, maybe, but it's THE biggest mindfuck of a show ever (with paranoia agent, serial experiments lain, flcl, boogiepop phantom, and the movie dead loves coming close). It's been a huge inspiration on my work. It's mindblowing, literally...

One anime I LOVE is super milk chan. Most people don't "get" it. Every episode is a remake of the previous episode. There are 10 elements/plot points in every episode that the show eventually gets to. But every episode has a totally different way of REACHING that point. It's genius. Also, in between the animated bits, there are Japanese dating guides and food preparation moments.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 02.05.2011 08:52 PM

I was looking at Boogiepop Phantom because I was googling horror anime, and I liked the name. Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni looks cool too. I want to finish up all the Bebop sessions first though.

SpaceCadetHayden 02.05.2011 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inhuman
Lately:

-Volunteering for Erowid.org
-Psilocybin
-Developing a new idea for an online business with some buddies to sell hip hop beats
-Worms World Party

What're you doing for erowid if I may ask? I'm a big-time donor and always looking to contribute more.

Also, fuck yes to psilocybin and worms.

krastian 02.06.2011 01:47 PM

My new car.