Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Where were you in 1988 when Daydream Nation was originally released? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=15304)

jimbrim 08.06.2007 07:31 AM

Wow, if it was released on the 10th of October, i would of been 2 days old.

andrei 08.06.2007 07:37 AM

I was probably listening to one of Ceausescu's speech or playing with a Russian machine-gun toy or a very heavy metal, also Russian, tank.. and waiting the communism to fall-out...
Oh no... i was a two year old kid... maybe i was just crying...:D

purplebumblebee 08.06.2007 07:37 AM

Was 11, getting the oul ears ready for sonic youth. Didnt hear their beautiful noise for another three years after that. Hooked ever since!

Washing Machine 08.06.2007 08:32 AM

I was born in 1988.

Torn Curtain 08.06.2007 09:05 AM

I was 12 so I was in second year of secondary school.

jon boy 08.06.2007 09:09 AM

climbing a tree.

Georgekrz 08.06.2007 09:48 AM

I just started college. I just checked dates and Jane's Addiction's Nothing Shocking just came out that summer, I got that the week of release. I remember buying that album in one of the record shop on St Marks Place.

Daydream Nation I dont remember how I heard about it or where I bought it, but I clearly remember sitting in my room listening to it for the first time, it must have been soon after it was released.

interesting sidenote talking to someone about iggy pop i remembered first time seeing him way back when and when i started to dig around, i found the show that i went to was oct. 31,1988 (halloween show) at beacon theater.
so a lot of good things happening musically.

btw- i just came back from Lollapalooza and Iggy and the Stooges put on one of the best shows Ive seen this year, it was inspiring. also, Patti Smith the night before in the rain. Those two will really stick in my memory.

ok more good albums that came out at that time - REM - Green, I think I bought that on the week of release so if it was nov 8, 1988 as per amazon info.

Moshe 08.06.2007 09:58 AM

I was i high school. I went to buy it and it was sold out at the only store who imported that kind of music back then. I bought sister instead just because I liked the cover.

luckynumber9 08.06.2007 12:50 PM

8 years old... playing Nintendo, most definitely.

LittlePuppetBoy 08.06.2007 01:27 PM

I was about 4 months old

greenlight 08.06.2007 02:45 PM

"88? uff. i was in 7th. grade, basic school. a year before communism was going to collapse. can't believe SY were around the world million times allready. didn't have a clue about lot's things not that they're exist. time flyes tho.

Dead-Air 08.06.2007 08:53 PM

I was in Seattle, feverishly waiting for the next Sonic Youth album to come out, holding onto my ticket to see them play at Union Station with Screaming Trees and Mudhoney, featuring my college chum Steve on guitar, opening for them. Ironic, because I'd turned 21 and they played nothing but All Ages shows from then on, but the last year I'd missed the Sister show at the Central Tavern a month before my birthday!

nicon 08.07.2007 06:43 AM

i dint check it till the summer in the UK, so got it May time..... was building a skate ramp down the woods, enjoying a warm summer in UK and listening to the album every spare minute, licking my wounds cos the the greatest girl in the world had dumped me. So thats what I did for the summer of 88.