Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Austin City Limits - Tv Taping (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=41317)

stu666 01.23.2011 05:36 AM

Sonic Youth
•No Way
•Sacred Trickster
•Anti-Orgasm
•What We Know
•'Cross The Breeze

greedrex 01.23.2011 09:27 AM

mmm all right; cheers Stu.
eager to watch Anti orgasm as i hear the live version is a lot superior to the record.
Or was it about Antenna?

Moshe 01.23.2011 11:29 PM

http://video.pbs.org/video/1757512915

Chris Lawrence 01.24.2011 06:01 AM

this was fantastic!

mil_pl 01.24.2011 06:21 AM

^ Really? I think I prefer them performing on stage for a real audience not for tv taping (or maybe it's because of The Eternal?). Though there was one or two cracking tv performances: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7cFIwcyBww

greedrex 01.24.2011 06:38 AM

nice performance but these Eternal tracks i really find half-assed.
kind of weird for weird's sake and not powerful at all imho.
The album in itself is faily enjoyable, but the live takes really lack some sense of urgency...
still a nice watch though.

greedrex 01.24.2011 06:42 AM

PS : i want the Black Keys' guitarist white guitar. What in hell is this?
So good-looking. If anybody knows..?

greedrex 01.24.2011 06:45 AM

yeah well probably a Teisco, but which model?

greedrex 01.24.2011 06:48 AM

Easwood Airline in fact

i'm speaking to myself here.
bastards.

nicfit 01.24.2011 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greedrex
PS : i want the Black Keys' guitarist white guitar. What in hell is this?
So good-looking. If anybody knows..?

Eastwood airline supro coronado ? kinda hard to tell with the size of the streaming vid (and here I can't stream the thing properly, I just watched the 30some seconds intro/presentation of the bands before SY set..

greedrex 01.24.2011 11:03 AM

i'll find out cuz it's a gorgeous axe, my man.

Chris Lawrence 01.24.2011 04:00 PM

well, i watched with a couple friends who are also SY fans and we all enjoyed more than just 'oh the band's on TV'. nice, tasteful angles, lingering shots, etc. didn't seem like a 'television event'. i thought the songs cooked too, they clearly enjoy playing them. i wonder if a DVD will come out, as these sessions often do...

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 01.24.2011 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence
didn't seem like a 'television event'. i thought the songs cooked too, they clearly enjoy playing them. i wonder if a DVD will come out, as these sessions often do...

hot damn, this was one of the best sonic youth performances I have seen in years! I hadn't had the privilege of seeings the Eternal live, in fact it was the first album in a decade I hadn't seen live on the relative tour to support near release.. I am glad I caught this Austin City Limits.. I liked the Eternal but I hadn't fully understood its energy, its flavor, its particular nuances until I heard these tunes live on this gig. Damn! I was blown away.. that is a phenomonal album, and live it is on a sonic nurse level, but I think the addition of a bass and getting back to the 3 guitar format is what gives these kind of live capabilities, the 3 guitars can build and layer better at these soundscape jam breaks that were so exceptional on the Sonic Nurse tour..

why didn't anyone tell me before?

hirsute_biped 01.24.2011 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtysister
I'm going to treat this event like a Super Bowl party, can't wait!

I wish there was as much money and time and infrastructure and ubiquitous rowdy home viewing parties put into arts/music as there is into sports...

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 01.24.2011 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hirsute_biped
I wish there was as much money and time and infrastructure and ubiquitous rowdy home viewing parties put into arts/music as there is into sports...

we tried it, remember Nirvana in the early 90s?

skipvacuum 01.24.2011 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence
well, i watched with a couple friends who are also SY fans and we all enjoyed more than just 'oh the band's on TV'. nice, tasteful angles, lingering shots, etc. didn't seem like a 'television event'. i thought the songs cooked too, they clearly enjoy playing them. i wonder if a DVD will come out, as these sessions often do...

my fave angle is the descent down from a tree ......................

Pelle 01.25.2011 04:07 PM

Just got it from dimeadozen..fucken brilliant show!

donnie 01.25.2011 07:34 PM

why didn't anyone tell me before?[/quote]
dammit!

Chris Lawrence 01.26.2011 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skipvacuum
my fave angle is the descent down from a tree ......................

okay, i did get the impression once or twice that the camera operator was just holding a branch in front of the lens. :p

Jeremy 01.29.2011 03:45 AM

Really good stuff... No Way totally blew me away.

~Jeremy~