Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   mark from pavement to play bass for the tour! (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=1046)

Danny Himself 04.18.2006 08:38 PM

Pavement are godheads, end of story.

noisemachine 04.18.2006 08:44 PM

I love pavement and i think it will be awesome seeing Ibold rock the bass on stage with the Youth.

sonikjuice 04.18.2006 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverfreepress (sdasher)
Lots of good guitar and Bob Nastanovich? What the fuck one of the coolest drummers in Rock history.

Yeah, but he's still not as cool as Plantman

RIPfrey05 04.18.2006 10:37 PM

Pavement rocks,great fuxking choice. RAH sonic youth!!
is he gonna like go away when hes not playing?

Chris Lawrence 04.18.2006 10:43 PM

Mark is a GREAT fuckin' bass player -- always loved his style. And yeah, "Mark from Free Kitten" seems a little more accurate than "Mark from Pavement" when you consider the situation. If true, I'm impressed, and excited!

krastian 04.18.2006 11:03 PM

Mark looks blazed as shit on the cover of Nice Ass.

Feelyat 04.18.2006 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisemachine
I love pavement and i think it will be awesome seeing Ibold rock the bass on stage with the Youth.

Well, if they're gonna have Ibold in their camp for a whole tour, they should pound it into his mind that Pavement needs to reunite.

In fact, Thurston should take the initiative and book the Jicks and the Preston School of Industry for All Tomorrow's Parties. Then he should make sure Ibold plays bass for Sonic Youth. Then he should force the three of them into a room with a conference call to Westy and Nastanovich. And then Pavement should reform.

right guys?

silverfreepress (sdasher) 04.18.2006 11:59 PM

the Plant man can , what a great video. Thurston as a tree, genius! Does MTV even try anymore? I mean what the fuck happened there. music television, What a great idea. now lets ruin in with dispendable show after dispendable show. cribs, pimp my sandwich, some beach show, real world, spring break, andy mikiniswlaksgfey.

I'm not a total nostage but 120minutes should have never gone away, headbangersball was awesome, mtv raps, hell even the grind was music based.
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

golden child 04.19.2006 12:09 AM

weirrrrd

toxic johnny 04.19.2006 01:57 AM

I think that this is great news... as has been previously stated Mark seems to be the logical choice... it will give me some much needed Free Kitten jollies when I see them play!.

pao-lino 04.19.2006 04:05 AM

I love pavement, and I love the sound of their bass....
but I'd prefer to see sonic youth as a quartet...

logcabinrecluse 04.19.2006 07:49 AM

what other jokes/myths/etc have come about in prep for the new album? i haven't heard much else.

kingcoffee 04.19.2006 07:52 AM

Oh, come on. It can't be as bad as many of you are thinking it is. I'm not a big Pavement fan, but they don't suck. At least not that much. Besides, he's just filling in for Jim on a few songs. It's not like he's joining the band.

Rob Instigator 04.19.2006 09:39 AM

Pavement RULE!

I have some live stuff of them doing expressway to yr skull, and several other sonic youth songs, because they love sonic youth as everyone should but does not and they knew sonic youth were the SHIT an sonic youth rule all and sonic youth are god

silverfreepress (sdasher) 04.19.2006 09:42 AM

There's plenty of videos of them as a four piece. And I'm sure if you hold up ur thumb ala Kids In The Hall you'll get the quartet effect.

scott v 04.19.2006 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverfreepress (sdasher)
but who will bartend in the west village now?

ps. this would be great news if you ask me

bartend in the west village?
do you mean the Great Jones Bar/Restaruant?
I have a friend of a friend who is part owner of that place, but this was several years ago when i was told Ibold was working there...

anyways Pavement was a good band, eventhough i read an informative article/interview of Malkmus discussing the recording process and songwriting in and behind Pavement in that Tape Op Book, Malkmus went into some detail and implied some rather unflattering things about Ibold... I was suprised to read that Malkmus actually came up with many bass parts in Pavement and not Ibold, and Malkmus showed the parts to Mark. even knowing that i always thought Pavement's weak link was with the bass...

so i'm not too suprised with this news (if its true) based on past connections and what not, and i'm sure he'll do fine. I just curiously hoping he doesn't actually become a permanent 5th member because i question abit of his songwriting and ability to come up w/ interesting bass parts. but thats nothign to worry about right now.

sonik life 04.19.2006 12:24 PM

Mark will do fine. Pavement are my favourite, with SY just behind. Malkmus is King.