Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Which Sonic Youth Album should I get next? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=13442)

purplebumblebee 05.29.2007 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crimson Mercury
Um, Hello. This is my first post here but I just recently started listening to Sonic Youth. I pretty much like all types of music and I just bought some of their albums yesterday, The ones I got were:

Sister
Daydream Nation
Goo
Dirty
Murray Street
Rather Ripped

I have enjoyed everythig I have heard by them so far and I was wondering if someone could reccomend another good one. My favorite 2 of the 6 I have so far are "Sister" and "Murray Street".

I agree with greenlight, defo get EVOL next, bad moon rising will take a while to grow on you but when it does youll love it, check out death valley 69 on it, brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

racehorse 05.29.2007 07:20 AM

personally i would encourage you to buy Confusion is Sex, SYR 1,3 4 and 6 and A Thousand Leaves.
CIS because it is one of their strongest albums and it is useful to discover how their sound started out.
The SYRs because it is important to realise what the band are capable of when not constrained to a "song" format.
A Thousand Leaves just because it is a fantastic album, really.

guitarpro 05.29.2007 08:55 AM

All of em ha ha

the ikara cult 05.29.2007 10:16 AM

That collection sounds like one ripe for inclusion of Evol and Sonic Nurse. Go for either - i guarentee you will like. If youve got them both by now get Bad Moon rising, a playstation 2, and Grand theft Auto San Andreas. They go together like a horse and carridge.

_tunic_ 05.29.2007 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racehorse
personally i would encourage you to buy Confusion is Sex, SYR 1,3 4 and 6 and A Thousand Leaves.
CIS because it is one of their strongest albums and it is useful to discover how their sound started out.
The SYRs because it is important to realise what the band are capable of when not constrained to a "song" format.
A Thousand Leaves just because it is a fantastic album, really.

Hey what's up with SYR2? You hate the Dutch don't you? :mad:
I like it, it's a great companion to A Thousand Leaves. It can't beat SYR1 though, and I don't care about the other SYR releases.

Silver Son 05.29.2007 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _tunic_
Hey what's up with SYR2? You hate the Dutch don't you? :mad:
I like it, it's a great companion to A Thousand Leaves. It can't beat SYR1 though, and I don't care about the other SYR releases.

How About Silver Sessions thats a great companion to A Thousand Leaves as well?

Torn Curtain 05.29.2007 05:28 PM

A thousand leaves and Evol

_tunic_ 05.29.2007 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silver Son
How About Silver Sessions thats a great companion to A Thousand Leaves as well?

SYR2 are like studies for a couple of songs from ATL. Silver Sessions is unrelated, for that album they basically threw their gear in the studio, set the volume to 11 and recorded the result. I wouldn't call Siver Sessions a good album, but it's sure fun to listen to it.

ybag_girl 05.29.2007 05:56 PM

washing machine...trouble girl

Silver Son 05.30.2007 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _tunic_
SYR2 are like studies for a couple of songs from ATL. Silver Sessions is unrelated, for that album they basically threw their gear in the studio, set the volume to 11 and recorded the result. I wouldn't call Siver Sessions a good album, but it's sure fun to listen to it.

The sound of ATL is more obvious on Syr1 & Syr2, there is even little clips of Syr1 on ATL - like in the end of Karen Koltrane. Silver Sessions is also recorded around the same time as ATL, and I think that's what gives it it's connection.
I think Silver Sessions is a great "drone" album, like the stuff Sunn O))) and Earth does.

farmhouse 05.30.2007 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silver Son
The sound of ATL is more obvious on Syr1 & Syr2, there is even little clips of Syr1 on ATL - like in the end of Karen Koltrane. Silver Sessions is also recorded around the same time as ATL, and I think that's what gives it it's connection.
I think Silver Sessions is a great "drone" album, like the stuff Sunn O))) and Earth does.

where can i get hold of a copy of the 'silver sessions' . . .?

i haven't done any searches or anything so . . . yeah, i'm a lazy shit.

sonicl 05.30.2007 07:40 AM

Do you have any stone circles near your home? There's a ritual that you have to complete in the exact centre of a stone circle, following which a copy of Silver Sessions will be delivered to your home by a ghostly maiden on a white horse. Or something like that.

PAULYBEE2656 05.30.2007 08:03 AM

silver session rules all sy releases......
fascinating record....

Crimson Mercury 05.30.2007 01:33 PM

Well, I ended up getting a few of them. The ones I bought were:

Washing Machine
A Thousand Leaves
Evol
Bad Moon Rising

I Haven't listened to them all yet but right now I'm listening to Washing Machine and it's great.

_tunic_ 05.30.2007 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PAULYBEE2656
silver session rules all sy releases......
fascinating record....

yeah, I have to rephrase myeslf, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone if he/she wants a representative Sonic Youth album, but I love the way it was made.

@farmhouse: google is your friend: http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/...ason+Knuth.htm
It's on backorder though. Amazon has it for $35, and they call it LOW ITEM PRICE!

Silver Son 05.31.2007 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farmhouse
where can i get hold of a copy of the 'silver sessions' . . .?

i haven't done any searches or anything so . . . yeah, i'm a lazy shit.

There is one on ebay right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sonic-youth-Silver-Session-EP-CD-For-Jason-Knuth_W0QQitemZ270124639318QQihZ017QQcategoryZ1572 QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem