Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Sister vs. Daydream Nation? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=1662)

Trasher02 05.18.2006 11:41 AM

daydream nation... fo sho

junkmale 05.18.2006 02:19 PM

sister for me. the first sonic youth album i heard and still the best. 'rather ripped' is good tho

guitarpro 05.18.2006 06:37 PM

DDN all the way

Shayna 05.18.2006 09:40 PM

Sister all the way. Daydream is great, but the former is so nasty sounding (in a good way) that it evokes that garage-band feel. I nominate (C/K)otton (C/K)rown as best SY song EVER!

acousticrock87 05.19.2006 11:26 AM

Daydream Nation. In my opinion, the guitar is just way more "Sonic Youth".

Torn Curtain 05.20.2006 01:13 PM

Daydream Nation

jon boy 05.20.2006 01:18 PM

sister baby.

Protectmeyou 05.20.2006 07:45 PM

Daydream Nation by a mile. I'm not a big fan of Sister, it's too patchy.

But yeah, they were untouchable around 86-88

SonikJesus 05.22.2006 05:47 PM

This one is so hard. I went with Sister because I've played out DDN and I'm more into Sister now. I think the two are equal though.

Cotton Crown 05.22.2006 06:42 PM

Sister for sure. The philip k. dick imagery is brilliant! Love that record. Daydream is just a bit too classic rock huge for me.

pepper_green 07.22.2016 07:00 PM

this is a tuffy. dragging this thread out the grave because I woke up this morning and put on Sister.

man o man!

both albums get my heart to pumping a thousand miles an hour. each different in tone and atmosphere. it's the production and the length that separates the two. Sister has thuddy drums and is more obscure with the guitars with that EVOL darkness. Daydream Nation is all in-yr-face guitars and much more accessible. well, whatever.

tuff call. both albums are in my DNA. Sister is a great lover but Daydream is a fucking beast to square off with.

noisereductions 07.22.2016 11:42 PM

Sister. No question. DDN is great. But Sister is amazing.

Mortte Jousimo 07.23.2016 08:00 AM

Ridiculous question. Sister of course. Love of course DDN too, but itīs not even close that genius of Sister. I think DDN was the album SY started their trip to mainstream record company. Never could have been possible if they had stayed into experimentalism of those earlier albums. Of course there are some also in DDN, but mostly the tunes are much more conventionally rockin than earlier. But anyway rockin in a great way.

noisereductions 07.23.2016 10:52 PM

Agreed. I love ddn but it feels more subdued to me.

GravitySlips 07.24.2016 05:29 AM

Nowadays I say Sister.

I've listened to DDN more than any other album by any band, and it would've been my favourite SY album until about a year ago. But I find myself preferring Sister now, despite Hot Wire My Heart. A difficult decision but I go with Sister :)

Mortte Jousimo 07.24.2016 06:29 AM

DDN has a special place into my heart also, it was my second SY-album to hear, quite soon after Goo. That time I had very little money to buy albums, so I borrowed DDN from library. And it was the only SY-album there. Really listened it a lot, also Goo and when Dirty came, listend it also lot (didnīt buy it myself, borrowed it from my friend). Finally wanted to buy (and had money) SY-vinyl and it was Sister. It was love at the very first moments when Steveīs drums started!

I remember when there was a article from SY in one Finnish independent magazine right after Dirty. The interviewer also made a review from their albums and he said DDN was disappointment when it came (he had listened SY from the BMR). Then I didnīt understand him, but now itīs easy to me.

matmosphere 07.24.2016 11:20 AM

It's an impossible choice, they are both ridiculously great. If I had to pick one I'd say Daydream Nation, but only because Eric's Trip is one of my favorite SY songs. IMO almost every SY album could hold there own here in one way or another.

demonrail666 07.24.2016 01:57 PM

Sister

DDN may be more ambitious, etc, but Sister is still one of the most relentlessly exciting albums I've ever heard. And I hated the DDN cover. The Sister cover was perfect, Stuff to obsess over - and in the case of the Audrey Rose(?) pic, wank over. DDN had a fucking blurry candle on it. When I first saw it I thought it was some sort of horrible mistake.

Mortte Jousimo 07.24.2016 10:57 PM

I really love all the SY-album covers, always also loved DDN cover. Candle symbols me very much of it all, thatīs still good in this world. Really beatiful cover. Like Matmos, really love also all the albums, but never could say experimental jet set their best album.

matmosphere 07.25.2016 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
I really love all the SY-album covers, always also loved DDN cover. Candle symbols me very much of it all, thatīs still good in this world. Really beatiful cover. Like Matmos, really love also all the albums, but never could say experimental jet set their best album.

I'd agree with that, I was just trying to not be negative. It's always had a special spot for me because it's the first one I bought right when it came out.