Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Rather Ripped--still digging it! (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=4004)

touch me i'm sick 07.11.2006 10:03 PM

jagged brain, slow refrain, we love the jams and black runs free!! la la ala laalaa

k-krack 07.11.2006 11:49 PM

i listened to it today once again. its a pretty sweet album. so i agree still diggin'. don't see why i would stop anytime in the.

Norma J 07.12.2006 01:20 AM

I listened to it yesterday and enjoyed. Although, I haven't exactly worn it out. I've had alot to listen to. I don't know where all the hate for this album has came from, but it sure did sweep through this board like a trend.

whorefrost 07.12.2006 06:29 AM

incinerate annoys me a bit... jams run free and pink steam are where it's at, specially since i learned em on guitar..

porkmarras 07.12.2006 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whorefrost
incinerate annoys me a bit... jams run free and pink steam are where it's at, specially since i learned em on guitar..

Posting genius.I learned new stuff from these insightful words:fuckyou:

whorefrost 07.12.2006 06:40 AM

"this insightful words"
did you go to school, bro?

porkmarras 07.12.2006 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whorefrost
"this insightful words"
did you go to school, bro?

Look up.:fuckyou:

badgercorn 07.12.2006 01:22 PM

Still liking it a lot. But I like the second half much more than the first. I'll normally listen to it from Rats onwards.

kingcoffee 07.12.2006 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norma J
I listened to it yesterday and enjoyed. Although, I haven't exactly worn it out. I've had alot to listen to. I don't know where all the hate for this album has came from, but it sure did sweep through this board like a trend.

What are you talking about??? Almost no one here hates the album. A lot of people like it!! There are a FEW people that really dislike the album and that's about it.

kingcoffee 07.12.2006 02:56 PM

Also, it is not a trend to dislike Rather Ripped. The few people who dislike it most likely don't like it because the genuinely don't like it! Is that so hard to grasp? It's not that great of an album! It's natural for some people to dislike some music, even by bands they really love. I love Neil Young, but I hate Trans. Just because you love one musician/band doesn't mean you have to automatically love everything they release. You have to be realistic about it all. Really take a step back and examine the music for all that it is for better or for worse.

I love Sonic Youth. I really, truly do. But when I listen to Rather Ripped, I can't help but think that Sonic Youth aren't at the top of their songwriting game on this one. They have what are the makings of good songs, but are never fully realized beyong what may essentially be considered the "early stages" of the songs. If the album was just a demo, then ok; I can understand. But the whole thing just seems so weakly produced and never really fleshed out.

habanero 07.14.2006 01:36 PM

Pink Steam has been my favorite song on the CD so far. Great music that follows the rhythms of an intense love making session. And the sexually intense lyrics make me anxious to meet a woman worthy enough for me to present the words as a love letter.

But this week I discovered The Neutral. I had listened to it several times but kinda glossed over it, probably in a hurry to get to the next track. The Neutral is a great track.

Disgruntled Youth 07.15.2006 12:09 PM

Every fucking day I listen to it!!!!

Daycare Nation 08.20.2006 09:59 PM

Over a month has passed, and wow, I'm still loving every second of the new album.

Everyneurotic 08.20.2006 10:12 PM

it's their best album because they sound like hootie and the blowfish on this one!!!!!

omg!!!!!!

Daycare Nation 08.20.2006 10:21 PM

For real?

Washing Machine 08.21.2006 05:24 AM

Yeah I do love this album. I would say 'Incinerate' and 'Pink Steam' are among the greatest songs SY was ever produced

Hip Priest 08.21.2006 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Washing Machine
Yeah I do love this album. I would say 'Incinerate' and 'Pink Steam' are among the greatest songs SY was ever produced

No question about 'Pink Steam'.

Trasher02 08.21.2006 08:46 AM

gmku 08.21.2006 10:04 AM

I still throw it on from time to time. I think it's a great album.

kingcoffee 08.21.2006 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Washing Machine

I can't possibly go along with this sentiment. They are good songs, but I think calling them some of the greatest SY songs ever produced is a tad overstated. And by "tad" I mean "immensely".