Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   1991 The Year Punk Broke DVD (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=49319)

nicfit 07.13.2011 09:15 AM

I'll wait for the blu ray.

;)

Moshe 07.13.2011 02:07 PM

For the first time, 1991: The Year Punk Broke will finally make its debut on DVD on September 6, 2011. All footage has been fully restored with audio re-synced and remastered in uncompressed PCM stereo under the supervision of Sonic Youth.

Filmed a month prior to the release of their breakthrough album Nevermind, 1991: The Year Punk Broke also includes footage of Nirvana unknowingly on the cusp of leading a massive cultural movement as they performed “Smells Like Teen Spirit,“ “Polly” and “Negative Creep.” Also featured is Dinosaur Jr.’s live versions of “Freak Scene” and “The Wagon” and Babes In Toyland’s brutal performance of “Dustcake Boy” as well as an appearance from punk forefathers The Ramones as they blast through 1977′s “Commando.” 1991: The Year Punk Broke is also packed with 65 minutes of bonus material, including the previously unreleased featurette “(This Is Known As) The Blues Scale” featuring over 40 minutes of additional live footage of Sonic Youth performing “White Kross,” “Eric’s Trip,” “Chapel Hill” and “Sugar Kane,” plus a rare Nirvana performance of “In Bloom.” Other extras include live rough cuts of “Mote” and “Flower,” the original movie trailer, and “Broken Punk” — a 2003 panel discussion Sonic Youth’s Thurston Moore, Steve Shelley and Lee Ranaldo, Dinosaur Jr.’s J. Mascis and Filmmaker Dave Markey.

In conjunction with the release of 1991 The Year Punk Broke is Sonic Youth’s Hits Are For Squares, previously available only through limited outlets. Hits Are For Squares will be released on August 23, 2011 – a collection of songs from Sonic Youth’s career selected by a diverse group of artists, actors, directors and musicians whose own progressive and unconventional style is akin to the freestyle expression of Sonic Youth’s music. The artisans handpicked by Sonic Youth include Catherine Keener, Beck, Mike D, Radiohead, Portia De Rossi, Diablo Cody, Allison Anders, Dave Eggers and Mike Watt, Eddie Vedder, Michelle Williams, Flea, Gus Van Sant, David Cross, Chloe Sevigny, and The Flaming Lips. Also included is the track “Slow Revolution” written and recorded for the original release.

skipvacuum 07.13.2011 04:30 PM

ha...as i made my way here.. i thought for a micro second..."when the hell is TYPB" coming out"....now i know....awesome...hits for squares means nothing

hipster_bebop_junkie 07.13.2011 08:24 PM

Great, i look forward to September 6th.

atsonicpark 07.14.2011 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicfit
I'll wait for the blu ray.

;)

HA! Was coming on this thread just to write "just in time for DVD to die and the blu ray to take over!"

But I actually don't think that'll ever happen anyway.

Mako 07.20.2011 03:14 PM

Cool

chrome noise tape 07.20.2011 05:21 PM

"For the first time, 1991: The Year Punk Broke will finally make its debut on DVD on September 6, 2011(...)"

nice gift for my birthday.

greenlight 07.22.2011 09:33 PM

yes!

krastian 07.22.2011 11:07 PM

I pre-ordered it from Amazon....It'll get here the day it the day it comes out.

I think that's the only place online I've seen it up for pre-order. It's not up on Kung Fu Nation yet either. It'll be out before we know it.

greendog 07.23.2011 02:30 PM

Here's a link to the Amazon page:

http://amzn.com/B005CM3HLK

hirsute_biped 07.30.2011 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ann ashtray
Earth? Jealous.

don't be, go see them in Georgia:

9/10/2011 Caladonia - Athens, GA w/ Mount Eerie
9/11/2011 The Earl - Atlana, GA w/ Mount Eerie

record 'em if you can...

ann ashtray 07.30.2011 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hirsute_biped
don't be, go see them in Georgia:

9/10/2011 Caladonia - Athens, GA w/ Mount Eerie
9/11/2011 The Earl - Atlana, GA w/ Mount Eerie

record 'em if you can...

Someone just brought this to my attention a few days OK, but still....much thanks. Hoping like heck I'll be able to catch them.

Tundra 08.04.2011 02:16 AM

Any clue about a region 2 release? Amazon preorder is only for region 1 dvd.

EvdWee 08.04.2011 04:30 AM

the french amazon has one. but it is the only site where I found one.

E. Noisefield 08.04.2011 08:03 AM

I made some posts in this thread, and they disappeared.

Yeah, great movie.

hirsute_biped 08.05.2011 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ann ashtray
Someone just brought this to my attention a few days OK, but still....much thanks. Hoping like heck I'll be able to catch them.

best show i've seen this year

SONIC GAIL 08.05.2011 09:33 PM

I want. this

Interstellar 08.06.2011 12:52 AM

Guess I won't have to not watch my VHS copy now. Now if we can only get an official re-release of Gila and Goo stuff.

hipster_bebop_junkie 08.25.2011 01:46 PM

Interesting article on Spin's website. They interviewed Dave Markey:
http://www.spin.com/articles/inside-...epic-1991-tour

At the time, Madonna's Truth or Dare was in theaters — this big cultural moment. So we decided to reenact scenes and we had the idea where Kurt, pretending to be Kevin Costner, meets Madonna backstage and he says, "You guys were really neat." But he had this champagne bottle and decided to fling it around the room. That was an add-on. It wasn't rehearsed. He didn't break it but everyone thought he was going to smash it through a window. Dave and Kim ran out of the room as if it was going to be set on fire. It was hilarious.

toxic johnny 08.27.2011 12:11 PM

you can pre-order it now from the store!