Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Yeah Yeah Yeahs cover The Diamond Sea (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=5363)

nicfit 08.25.2006 09:58 AM

http://www.badongo.com/file/1284239
here you go,dumbass ;)

Trasher02 08.25.2006 10:14 AM

Thanks asshole :).
(these smilies are so innocent!)

Everyneurotic 08.25.2006 10:41 AM

this cover has made me see things on a whole new perspective.

before, i didn't mind the yeah yeah yeahs, now i think they are THE worst band to ever come out in the last couple of years and be considered good by so many people, not to mention that their fans are fucking racist, intolerant nazi types who can be led easily by anyone wearing a garbage bag for a dress.

i'm glad they covered the diamond sea, now i know better and will stay away from their "music" and "fans".

val-holla-ing 08.25.2006 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic

before, i didn't mind the yeah yeah yeahs, now i think they are THE worst band to ever come out in the last couple of years and be considered good by so many people, not to mention that their bands are fucking racist, intolerant nazi types who can be led easily by anyone wearing a garbage bag for a dress.

i'm glad they covered the diamond sea, now i know better and will stay away from their "music" and "fans".

you forgot to mention their silly haircuts, too.

Everyneurotic 08.25.2006 02:15 PM

sorry, i meant fans...those are ignorant, racist, intolerant people; don't know about the band themselves.

Alex's Trip 08.25.2006 02:18 PM

Quote:

before, i didn't mind the yeah yeah yeahs, now i think they are THE worst band to ever come out in the last couple of years and be considered good by so many people, not to mention that their fans are fucking racist, intolerant nazi types who can be led easily by anyone wearing a garbage bag for a dress.

I think you take music a bit too seriously.

kingcoffee 08.25.2006 02:52 PM

I never heard anything about Yeah Yeah Yeah fans being Nazi's. I think yr just upset that a band you didn't like covered a great song by a band you DO like and yr just pissed that YYY's are more famous than SY.

The cover wasn't that bad. It sounds kinda nice. I like the idea of playing the song with an acoustic. Sounds good. Could have been better though. I'm not too into the vocalizing Karen O does. Kinda ruins it. Otherwise it's a cool cover.

atari 2600 08.25.2006 03:12 PM

i've never heard it or the Beck one & not too jazzed about the prospect really, but if someone wants to post them with active links, i'll give feedback after listening.

Alex's Trip 08.25.2006 03:17 PM

Here is a new one:

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.ph...6D72CF6093A05F

radical adult 08.25.2006 03:25 PM

hey, cool down, it's a quite unpretentious nice cover, that doesn't even try to compete with the original. Some kind of cat power-like stripped down acoustic style. Nice, though sy's version is the cosmos - this is a (interesting) grain of dust!

(and btw: I really don't like the nazi-etc.-insults...)

atari 2600 08.25.2006 03:41 PM

radical adult, yours & top 40 squeeze's Cat Power comments are right along the lines of something I was thinking, albeit somewhat jokingly, that YYYs were trying to beat Chan to the punch hehe.

YYYs fans should listen to this FM of a The Pretenders show I have from Amsterdam 1980.

I was in the process of listening to some very well-crafted, almost poppy, if you will, post-punk on The Replacements' Let it Be album when I interrupted the proceedings to check out this cover. So with that in mind, what I think is that overall, the track just sort of lays there, which happens to be quite cool in the beginning because it evokes a quality of the mood of the original in the process (with all the pregnant pauses of silence), but after awhile it gets to be a little monotonous. If one were unfamiliar with the original, one might assume that Sonic Youth sounded like Sparklehorse, but even still, it wasn't as bad as I imagined. That's about the best I can say for it. The vocal delivery does have some charm; it's not completely horrible by any means, but it's difficult to say whether I would have appreciated the cover at all if I didn't know the original. They should have added a stipped-down approximation of one of Lee's parts on guitar during the first part of the outro. It's true that sometimes less is more & in the case of trying to cover The Diamond Sea, that's really the only route one can take with any confidence, so the way the cover is executed is a good, although obvious, (in that sense) choice.

k-krack 08.25.2006 04:07 PM

ahahah, that muse cover is so dumb. why would they attempt it, it siounds so tame and kept down, and the drumming just sounds flat. the bass sounds a bit weird too, not aggressive enough.... stick to piano oriented dark pop music....?

Everyneurotic 08.25.2006 06:55 PM

well, i got called insulting names referring to the country i come from as a defect because i said i didn't like the cover, by several people i might add.

if that's not intolerant, then you have your definitions wrong.

ps: i have the same right to express my disgust with the crap crap craps as you have of expressing your approval.

Daddylikes 08.25.2006 07:01 PM

Quote:

well, i got called insulting names referring to the country i come from as a defect because i said i didn't like the cover, by several people i might add.

if that's not intolerant, then you have your definitions wrong.

ps: i have the same right to express my disgust with the crap crap craps as you have of expressing your approval.

Just like we have the right to express our (fake) disgust with your ethnicity.

atari 2600 08.25.2006 07:06 PM

And your argument for being supremely insulting with "(fake) disgust" is simply because you can?

I have found in life that people that think certain behaviors are okay or right simply "because they can do it" are often reprehensible.

Ripchord 08.25.2006 07:10 PM

A picture of Nick, Karen, Kim, and Thurston was in Rolling Stolne this month.

Cantankerous 08.25.2006 07:11 PM

this is just ridiculous.

Daddylikes 08.25.2006 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atari 2600
And your argument for being supremely insulting with "(fake) disgust" is simply because you can?

I have found in life that people that think certain behaviors are okay or right simply because they "can do it" are often reprehensible.

LIGHTEN UP FRANCIS!

Cantankerous 08.25.2006 07:14 PM

francis?

Daddylikes 08.25.2006 07:23 PM

Big fat man who bathe's in a swimming pool in the movie "Pee Wee's Big Adventure".