Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Ever get the feeling you've been cheated? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=30860)

hevusa 04.30.2009 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrei
As i understand you know that the stream invalidated all the bands work for this album, right?
And DON'T LISTEN is NOT an answer (especially from a guy representing a label).

One question? "Can't adjust your brian" means being butt-fucked by some corporate fucks who treat you like a stupid neckleback or britney spear fan?

Exfuckinactly.

nicfit 04.30.2009 04:01 PM

Quote:

As i understand you know that the stream invalidated all the bands work for this album, right?

Explain this. You think the live lp, the vynil and the cd are 128kbs streams or what?
you think that all the pre-release leaks/rips done all over the world which are not in flac invalidate the work of the musicians releasing records?
It's like saying nobody will go see them live if the first live sy performances they see are youtube vids.
As for the whole "Label ethic", what you say could make sense if they were SELLING the low bitrate stream INSTEAD of real copies, which is not the case. It is just a chance to hear the songs before the release date, and legally. Get over it.
It's a fucking CHANCE.
And, legally, that chance was offered to people who fuckin' BOUGHT the record.
Damn, me buying their album must have been a terrible invalidation of their work. I wonder how they can sleep at night knowing I bought a copy.
It's not the label's fault if people are happily sharing rips of the stream, same as it would not be their fault if a badly ripped promo copy flooded mp3 players around the world.
amen, end of my contribution to the "eternal stream of consciusness" flooding this board.
See you guys in another thread/another time.
Beam me up, scotty.

DaveMartin 04.30.2009 04:04 PM

Quote:

Wrong.

Quote:

And DON'T LISTEN is NOT an answer (especially from a guy representing a label).

Wrong, it is an answer. The release date is June 9th (in the US) and if the low quality of the stream bums you out then do not listen to it. That is an answer and a pretty clear one at that.

Quote:

One question? "Can't adjust your brian" means being butt-fucked by some corporate fucks who treat you like a stupid neckleback or britney spear fan?

Wrong, I don't want to fuck you. I don't even know you. But if you explained your views a bit more clearly maybe we could then get to know each other better and see where it goes from there.

atsonicpark 04.30.2009 04:22 PM

Wow. Just... wow.

floatingslowly 04.30.2009 04:29 PM

who's brian, and why can't we adjust him?

hevusa 04.30.2009 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveMartin
But if you explained your views a bit more clearly maybe we could then get to know each other better and see where it goes from there.

He is being crystal clear. 128k/bit stream is a slap in the face of Sonic Youth and their fans.

*shakes head*

DaveMartin 04.30.2009 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hevusa
He is being crystal clear. 128k/bit stream is a slap in the face of Sonic Youth and their fans.

*shakes head*

Then by all means take a step back so you won't get hit. On June 9th it will be like a big kiss on the lips.

hevusa 04.30.2009 06:13 PM

Quote:

Then by all means take a step back so you won't get hit. On June 9th it will be like a big kiss on the lips.

Thanks for holding my $20 hostage for two months. This has been a GREAT experience from standpoint of a paying customer, sonic youth fan who owns every studio album (and then some), and educated audio engineer.

Here is a link to torrents of the 128 stream. Now everyone can download this crap version for, ironically enough, all eternity.

http://www.google.com/search?q=sonic...oog le+Search

sarramkrop 04.30.2009 06:14 PM

[quote=hevusa]Thanks for holding my $20 hostage for two months. This has been a GREAT experience from standpoint of a paying customer, sonic youth fan who owns every studio album (and then some), and educated audio engineer.

Here is a link to torrents of the 128 stream. Now everyone can download this crap version for, ironically enough, all eternity.

http://www.google.com/search?q=sonic+youth+the+eternal+torrent&btnG=Goog le+Search[/quote]

You made your point. You're still a twat, though.

hevusa 04.30.2009 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarramkrop
You made your point. You're still a twat, though.

No argument there.

If the point was actually made though there would be a higher quality stream coming. I know damn well the engineer who recorded this album is squirming in his chair listening to this stream.

atsonicpark 04.30.2009 06:56 PM

Hahha, 5 pages on this thread and 5 pages on another thread of you whining about this shit. Too funny.

andrei 05.01.2009 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicfit

1. you think that all the pre-release leaks/rips done all over the world which are not in flac invalidate the work of the musicians releasing records?
2. It's like saying nobody will go see them live if the first live sy performances they see are youtube vids.

1. Yes, i think so. But if the album leaked i would had no interest in downloading it and whining about the quality, when my paid lossless copy would have arrived on the actual release date.

2. Sadly, more and more people DO what you've said. i KNOW people who do this, for fucks sake. And in the near future more people will do that.

andrei 05.01.2009 12:37 AM

Quote:

As for the whole "Label ethic", what you say could make sense if they were SELLING the low bitrate stream INSTEAD of real copies, which is not the case. It is just a chance to hear the songs before the release date, and legally. Get over it.

That's the point, cause in my opinion i bought the stream with bonus 3 LPs. If i had the LP i wouldn't give a fuck if they sold the stream even in 32 kbps. But as a SY fan, who paid some money in advance, i find myself stuck with a crapy recording of an 128 stream, while matador is making more money with my money and tells me not to whine about and wait till they will get rich.

And then, whats the point of a release date? I don't get it?!?
Everyone should understand that now the album is RELEASED (in 128 Kbps).

I fully understand the "preview" "gives you an insight on the album" thing, but that it is just lie from the label. They knew that the stream would have been recorded and spread arround. It is just something to make you forget that you have paid something in advance and that they are using your money in the meantime.

andrei 05.01.2009 12:42 AM

Quote:

It's not the label's fault if people are happily sharing rips of the stream, same as it would not be their fault if a badly ripped promo copy flooded mp3 players around the world.

Yes it is, they "leaked" it. Again, to make you feel like you are in control of you pre-order money!
As i fully understood this before i have pre-ordered the LP, i JUST fucking wanted a higher bitrate stream. And they told me to FUCK OFF.
Thanks Matador!

andrei 05.01.2009 12:49 AM

Quote:

Wrong.

Wrong, it is an answer. The release date is June 9th (in the US) and if the low quality of the stream bums you out then do not listen to it. That is an answer and a pretty clear one at that.

Wrong, I don't want to fuck you. I don't even know you. But if you explained your views a bit more clearly maybe we could then get to know each other better and see where it goes from there.

Wrong.

andrei 05.01.2009 12:50 AM

Quote:

Wrong.

Oh, what?!
I said nothing?

amerikangod 05.01.2009 01:32 AM

I grew up with an NES. That was 8-bits. Next was the SNES, the greatest system ever created. That was 16-bits.

These children today love complaining about their bits and their fidelity. Fuck that shit. And stop pretending you have golden ears that require a certain threshold of quality. For someone that seems to love complaining about ear-pollution, you have no problem pissing in ours over and over again.

terminal pharmacy 05.01.2009 02:06 AM

Quote:

No argument there.

If the point was actually made though there would be a higher quality stream coming. I know damn well the engineer who recorded this album is squirming in his chair listening to this stream.

i would be pretty damn well sure the engineer is not listening to the stream let alone the album after hearing the songs so many times in the studio....

andrei 05.01.2009 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amerikangod
I grew up with an NES. That was 8-bits. Next was the SNES, the greatest system ever created. That was 16-bits.

These children today love complaining about their bits and their fidelity. Fuck that shit. And stop pretending you have golden ears that require a certain threshold of quality. For someone that seems to love complaining about ear-pollution, you have no problem pissing in ours over and over again.

Well, i grew up with a shity chinese copy of NES called TERMINATOR. And those times are far behind for me, but if you want to go back to NES please convert all your CDs to 8-bit, why should i care?
I haven't said i have golden ears, but if you brain can't process more than 128 Kb/s, it's not my problem... You don't have to be a "pretentious audiophile twat" to notice the difference.

Anyway, I haven't asked for your input on this subject. As i don't post in threads i don't give a fuck about, i expect you to do the same.
BYE

PS: Wanna trade some Cartridges?

erikvoid 05.01.2009 02:38 AM

what's the point of even arguing with these people? it's great that matador is on here addressing things, but you're not going to win. there is no reasoning with people of this ilk. at all.
look. 95% of the people that went with this whole deal are happy just to be able to hear the album so early. if the goddamn bitrate would've been at 320, eventually the same freaks would have found something else to bitch about. the font on the album is off center 1/8th of an inch or the fucking spine writing is backwards from all the rest of the albums they have.
some people.. sigh.

Kegmama 05.01.2009 02:45 AM

I only read the first and last page of this thread, but...

Boys, boys, boys!

Why do I have to use that illustration so often here?!

pbradley 05.01.2009 02:47 AM

Arguing is good for the spirit.

andrei 05.01.2009 03:05 AM

If people would have not argued, we would have been still baboons.

What's the point of this forum, to kiss our asses and talk about Lil' Wayne's latest legal problem while we are paying to be butt-fucked by some asshole who doesn't give a shit about nothing?

DaveMartin 05.01.2009 10:41 AM

Quote:

That's the point, cause in my opinion i bought the stream with bonus 3 LPs. If i had the LP i wouldn't give a fuck if they sold the stream even in 32 kbps. But as a SY fan, who paid some money in advance, i find myself stuck with a crapy recording of an 128 stream, while matador is making more money with my money and tells me not to whine about and wait till they will get rich.

Well, I'm sorry you feel cheated, but Buy Early Get Now has always been and will continue to be focused on the physical rather than the digital, but are you telling me that if the early stream of the album was not a part of BEGN that you would not have bought into it?

Quote:

And then, whats the point of a release date? I don't get it?!?
Everyone should understand that now the album is RELEASED (in 128 Kbps).

Ok, I've been holding off with this rant because it seems so "duh" but here it is. As a label you set a release date so you can focus the energy of your staff, your band, press, radio, TV opportunities, touring, the actual manufacturing of the physical products etc. etc. towards that date and the relatively close time afterwards. This has proven time and again to be the most effective way of selling the most records possible.
A band like Sonic Youth is capable of getting a lot of coverage from what are mostly very conservative media outlets and a lot of those have a pretty long lead time for deadlines. Therefore, if you want the record / band covered in those places and you want that coverage to be as effective as possible you have to have a finished product well in advance of your release date.
With the advent of all new technology you now have records leaking and being available online sometimes months before their actual release date. We, of course, realized that the stream would be ripped right away and that is one of the reasons that it is only 128k/bit. There is a bit of a leap of faith that we are taking here where we hope that the vast majority of people aware of and taking part in BEGN realize that the actual product will sound a lot better than the stream (and we even hope that those folks searching out the torrents also realize this.) and they'll be able to "be cool" about it. We also realize that it is impossible for everyone to "be cool."
So the record is not released it is leaked. Those things are very different.

Quote:

I fully understand the "preview" "gives you an insight on the album" thing, but that it is just lie from the label. They knew that the stream would have been recorded and spread arround. It is just something to make you forget that you have paid something in advance and that they are using your money in the meantime.

No, it isn't a "lie". It is what it is, we've been up front with dates and time frames for when things would happen so I'm sorry if you have buyer's remorse right now, but being an educated consumer is the best way to avoid this in the future.

greedrex 05.01.2009 11:00 AM

Not sucking Matador's arse here, but i really don't see the point in going on about this??? I don't even understand the problem. Any digital format (except flac maybe but come on) will be inferior to CD, and even more so sexy waxxx. Everybody knows that even my greatgrandmother. What difference does it make between 128 and 320? Next to nothing, this is a STREAM to PREVIEW the album. You were warned. Stop crying. Nobody's forcing you to listen to it. Nobody lied and nobody's stealing yr money or time. On the contrary i think that a lot of effort has been put in to satisfy the customer and i guess there are label concerns that not anybody can actually understand or take for granted. just listen to the songs, damnit.
I've been listening to this on perpetual spin for three days. See? i'm not dead. And i'm loving it. if you're an audiophile, SKIP IT. FORGET IT.
What's with the hate? The label lets you listen to the LP A MONTH ahead of physical release date. Any dumbass Sy fan could do the BEGN thing to get the extra goodies and just AVOID to listen to the 128k (o fuck is that a swearword yet?) stream if they are so inclined. Who fucking cares????
Just be grateful there is a new album out, which is fantastic, that we will all have in our hands fairly soon.
i'm sorry but this is really ridiculous.
get a fucking life, bunch of morons.

Rob Instigator 05.01.2009 11:18 AM

greedex strikes again!

greedrex 05.01.2009 11:20 AM

o i see you're doing THIS on purpose.
it's okay though, Roberta

hevusa 05.01.2009 11:23 AM

I see there is already a 192k version floating around the internet. I'm glad someone who received an advanced copy has better sense than matador.

Rob Instigator 05.01.2009 11:28 AM

There is a 989kbs version playing in my nutsac!

greedrex 05.01.2009 11:29 AM

bahahahahahaha

hevusa 05.01.2009 11:37 AM

Quote:

There is a bit of a leap of faith that we are taking here where we hope that the vast majority of people aware of and taking part in BEGN realize that the actual product will sound a lot better than the stream

no one expects anything but uncompressed 44.1k, 16-bit wave files on a freaking CD. that doesn't justify selling a pre-release stream that makes sonic's hard work sound like total arse. did it prevent a leak? no.

how, exactly, do you think this 128k stream impacts the people that weren't going to buy a CD anyway? They will just upgrade to whatever higher quality mp3 pops up as we get closer to the release date.

So what is the point of torturing the people that care the most about the product you are selling??

You would have shot all three if you had an extra foot.

hevusa 05.01.2009 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
There is a 989kbs version playing in my nutsac!

Watch this. You're gonna love my nuts!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWRyj5cHIQA

Kloriel 05.01.2009 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbradley
Arguing is good for the spirit.

which explains why you won't return my philocalls. clearly your spirit is pristine.

Rob Instigator 05.01.2009 12:12 PM

Quote:

Watch this. You're gonna love my nuts!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWRyj5cHIQA

that was fucking funny!

floatingslowly 05.01.2009 12:25 PM

Quote:

I see there is already a 192k version floating.

will people PLEASE stop trying to get me to download it? I've already told y'all that I want to save myself so the album and I can share our special moment together, like we were meant to, snuggled up, under the blankets, touching each other's tingly bits til we are both sweating, exhausted and in need of a smoke.

that said....

dear mr. martin,

although I feel yr fighting "the good fight", yr doing it on the internet.

nobody wins on the internet, because you can't reach through the screen to punch yr opponent square in the face.

so, please, spare yrself the large blocks of text (and the ire that's surely attached), and go have a smoke and smile. you know yr right, so relax and enjoy what I hope is a flu-free environment.

yr e-pal,

floatingslowly

hevusa 05.01.2009 12:49 PM

He isn't right...

Rob Instigator 05.01.2009 12:53 PM

he's gonna floatslow but DEEP

floatingslowly 05.01.2009 01:01 PM

Quote:

He isn't right...

actually, he is, and yr lucky to have heard The Eternal in any form.

despite what you may think, Matador (et al) owes "hevusa" nothing (not even a further explanation as far as I'm concerned).

if you have already ordered the album, you will be getting a cd copy soon; so why cry about a slightly-less-than-audiophile-quality recording that you can listen to now?

if this were the ONLY way that you would EVER get to hear this album, then sure, it would be a travesty. but it's not, and the gimme gimme now now now attitude is really unbecoming.

patience, young troll. patience.

atsonicpark 05.01.2009 01:03 PM

192 rip eh? ..... Hervusa, I heard someone is going to leak the uncompressed high-quality wavs in a little bit. The whole album should only be about 570mb to download. You excited?

hevusa 05.01.2009 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
192 rip eh? ..... Hervusa, I heard someone is going to leak the uncompressed high-quality wavs in a little bit. The whole album should only be about 570mb to download. You excited?

It won't be long...
which makes this 128 stream even that much more ridiculous.

And people wonder why the record industry is hurting right now.
Do I even have the option of buying a download only uncompressed version eventually? If this guy Dave is any representation of the current state of the industry, probably not.