Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Least Favorite SY Songs? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=136)

Murmer99 08.12.2010 07:36 PM

Hotwire my Heart is pretty boring to me

ann ashtray 08.12.2010 11:24 PM

I like almost everything sans 95 percent of Rather Ripped and a few other random odds and ends.

Was never too fond of their take on Bubblegum.

Their absolute worst has gotta be do you believe in rapture....such a weak song in every way imaginable. The music, the lyrics...just terrible.

Mortte Jousimo 08.13.2010 01:30 AM

Lightnin`

I was really disappointed at first for "NYC Ghosts and flowers", cause the only melodic song in it was Nevermind. And when the end of album became Lightnin I thought "this album truly sucks! If they will continue this way, I will not buy another Sonic Youth Album" (I was so happy when next was so melodic and great Murray street). I think my lifesituation was then that kind, that the albumsī mostly chaotic material didnīt fit in it. Later I began to love the album and Lightnin hasnīt been so bad anymore, though itīs not the strongest Sonic song.

The other not so strong songs:
"V" from "in the fishtank"
Making the Nature Scene (Whitey album version, the one in Confusion is great!)

ennui61 08.14.2010 03:39 PM

Hot Wire My Heart

samuel 08.14.2010 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samuel
Youth Against Fascism

Four years later, it's still my least favorite. I can't seem to get into it.

I can't believe people have said Rain King. That song kicks so much ass. And as for Sleepin Around... if it weren't for the terrible lyrics, it would be an alright tune. The part around 2:10 in particular is really cool. I wish they would have expanded on that. The solo isn't too bad either. The Neutral, however, almost topped Youth Against Fascism for me. Eesh.

EVOLghost 08.15.2010 04:17 AM

someone said rain king? who the fuck said that seriously.

EVOLghost 08.15.2010 04:19 AM

oh yeah and Youth Against fascism...it's the song I hate

Pelle 07.24.2011 05:43 PM

I'll have to say "Female mechanic now on duty".

Mostly because it is so misplaced imo. Everytime I put ATL on I get in a good mood after the intro, then Sunday starts and I get in a trance, everything is so fucking good until that fuckin riff comes in and ruins the whole feeling to the album.
Even though the song is great, it should have been placed somewhere else.
;)

Mortte Jousimo 07.24.2011 11:44 PM

I just love Female Mechanic like the rest of the album! I think also the place of the song is correct, Iīm so used to that trackorder that I have hard to imagine any other. I think Sunday and Female present the both sides of that album and itīs good they are one after another.

E. Noisefield 07.26.2011 05:17 PM

There are very few that I have disliked...

I guess I've never been a fan of "My Friend Goo". That thing just kind of breaks the awesomeness of Goo right in half.

Also, although I think it's a great song, "Incinerate" is just not Sonicyouthey enough for me. It could be a Broken Social Scene song for all its melodic originality.

E. Noisefield 07.26.2011 05:18 PM

Whoah... totally different experience here. The end of NYCG&H blew my head off, but I thought "Nevermind" was kind of crap.

chicka 07.27.2011 12:37 PM

I agree with Sleeping Around

Mortte Jousimo 07.28.2011 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E. Noisefield
Whoah... totally different experience here. The end of NYCG&H blew my head off, but I thought "Nevermind" was kind of crap.

...And I thought at first Nevermind is only good song in NYCG&F.

E. Noisefield 07.28.2011 03:58 PM

It's not terrible, but Lee owns that album.

And "Free City Rhymes" is one of my favorite SY songs ever.

What's with the hate for this record?

E. Noisefield 07.28.2011 08:29 PM

Oh man, somebody mentioned "Sleepin' Around" and now it's been stuck in my head all day!

I love the musical elements of that song... the lyrics... ehh... but I love the feedback during the verse. :)

E. Noisefield 07.28.2011 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pelle
I'll have to say "Female mechanic now on duty".

Mostly because it is so misplaced imo. Everytime I put ATL on I get in a good mood after the intro, then Sunday starts and I get in a trance, everything is so fucking good until that fuckin riff comes in and ruins the whole feeling to the album.
Even though the song is great, it should have been placed somewhere else.
;)

Oh man, whaaaaaaat? "Female Mechanic..." is one of my favorite songs! I freaking love that song!! I think that's the song that really first stood out for me on ATL. The second half is just plain glorious.

You wrong, bro.

Mortte Jousimo 07.29.2011 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E. Noisefield
It's not terrible, but Lee owns that album.

And "Free City Rhymes" is one of my favorite SY songs ever.

What's with the hate for this record?

It was just at first. I think the problem then was my lifesituation. A few years later I began to think itīs as great record as other SY records.

I think the main problem at first was that I like a lot all kind of melodic stuff of SY, I thought then that noise is ok when there isnīt too much of it. So when there is very little melodies in NYCG & F, at first I thought I will not buy any album from SY anymore. But then they made very melodic Murray Street and I was happy again.

chicka 07.29.2011 03:15 PM

NYCG&F is one of my favorite albums of all time not just by SY.

redred 07.30.2011 04:07 AM

Most anything off Experimental Jet Set..

I could only listen to a few songs off that album.

Sykid87 07.30.2011 11:01 AM

I know people will hate me for saying this but i've never been big on Dirty and i like half of goo but i just think dirty is too ehh i dont have a word for it but just about everything else i like alot.