Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   reassessing a thousand leaves (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=15905)

Skuj 04.19.2020 08:14 PM

....he's just a kitten!!

g. 04.23.2020 04:36 PM

I love 'A Thousand Leaves'. This album served as my intro to Sonic Youth. Hearing 'Sunday' on BBC Radio 1 blew my mind. I bought the single and then rented the album on cassette from my local library and fell deep into the rabbit hole and never looked back.

hedgehog 04.23.2020 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g.
I love 'A Thousand Leaves'. This album served as my intro to Sonic Youth. Hearing 'Sunday' on BBC Radio 1 blew my mind. I bought the single and then rented the album on cassette from my local library and fell deep into the rabbit hole and never looked back.

Haha, Thurston would love the fact you rented it on cassette!! I didn't even know that was still possible in 1998!

Anyway, I gave this album a full run through for the first time in ages last night and was blown away by how great it really is! I remember when it came out I thought it was quite good but not great as I had it in my head that Washing Machine was basically unsurpassable. Now I'd rate them side by side. ATL seems to have been a really slow burner for a lot of people but is now starting to be viewed as somewhat of a 90s Daydream Nation... and deservedly so!

The Soup Nazi 04.24.2020 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g.
Hearing 'Sunday' on BBC Radio 1 blew my mind.

I've mentioned this a thousand leaves ER I MEAN times, but no matter - never ever forget that that killer riff comes from Helium's "Skeleton" and Mary Timony should have been credited.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1OncuEaiCk

http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang/sy/song147.html

g. 04.24.2020 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hedgehog
Haha, Thurston would love the fact you rented it on cassette!! I didn't even know that was still possible in 1998!

Anyway, I gave this album a full run through for the first time in ages last night and was blown away by how great it really is! I remember when it came out I thought it was quite good but not great as I had it in my head that Washing Machine was basically unsurpassable. Now I'd rate them side by side. ATL seems to have been a really slow burner for a lot of people but is now starting to be viewed as somewhat of a 90s Daydream Nation... and deservedly so!

I loved loaning cassettes from the library, liked the romance of thinking who else had borrowed them before and where their musical tastes went.

Funny enough from there I got Dirty and Washing Machine on CD for my birthday and Washing Machine became my favourite album.

The Soup Nazi 04.29.2020 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hettiehoe2003
this a thousand leaves ER I MEAN times, but no matter - never ever forget that that killer riff comes from Helium's "Skeleton" and Mary Timony should have been credited.

I know, that's what I said. Now DIE YOU SHITTY PARROT TROLL.

SonicSleuth 05.18.2020 09:28 PM

I appreciate the lullaby effect of some of the songs on this album. My daughter fell asleep to "Snare, Girl" a lot.

Dalton79 05.22.2020 04:00 PM

a very good collection of album it will send us to past

Dr. Eugene Felikson 05.29.2020 09:41 PM

Contre Le Sexism is garbo

The rest rules. What a horrid way to start an amazing albim

GeneticKiss 05.30.2020 01:50 AM

Never heard it in full until tonight (thanks YouTube). A good album.

Rob Instigator 06.19.2020 11:13 AM

Hoarfrost is an elegiac masterpiece of loneliness my man.

EVOLghost 06.19.2020 12:23 PM

excuse me but WAT! KK is a fuckin' masterpiece.

EVOLghost 06.19.2020 12:24 PM

ATL is honestly one of my favorites. I feel like it has all the SY elements in it. The album has some great variety in it too. Yer Alt Rock licks to some real experimental out there shit. I'm in to it.

g. 06.19.2020 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EVOLghost
ATL is honestly one of my favorites. I feel like it has all the SY elements in it. The album has some great variety in it too. Yer Alt Rock licks to some real experimental out there shit. I'm in to it.

Spot on.

g. 06.19.2020 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diesel
Kk; it comitts the cardinal sin of being insufferably boring. The one note guitar rhythm through most of its duration, the attempt at a catchy outro which of all ungodly places sounds taxed straight from Wildflower Soul. Ranaldo's vocal take is utterly half-arsed and sounds nearly as bored as I am. The cherry on top of this audio toxic molehill is the subject matter, the Carpenters. By mere association the song is relegated to the confines of the recesses of my mind. This band is for boring auld farts, which fittingly matches the song.

Each to their own...

samuel 06.19.2020 04:49 PM

With A Thousand Leaves, I thoroughly enjoy every song featuring Thurston on vocals, which usually isn't the case. Wildflower Soul's euphoric for me. I also agree with those calling Karen Koltrane a masterpiece. Lee's two are stunners. It's wild how you feel so differently, Diesel. But I respect it.