Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Experimental Jet Set, Trash and No Star (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=1307)

therealglenstyler 05.02.2006 11:04 AM

love it

malefactor 05.28.2006 11:14 PM

i tried to see if i could hear "sister" playing underneath experimental jet set, but i couldn't hear it really. maybe i didn't turn it up loud enough? or maybe i'm the victim of a cruel hoax. anybody else have any luck?

Chris Lawrence 05.28.2006 11:57 PM

it's there. i used to have mp3 clips i made where i amplified the sound between tracks so it became clear w/out having to blow your head off w/ the fury that is starfield road's fiery flaming on fire thurston gtr squall flame fire intro.

anyway, i don't know if i have the clips anymore. would be easy to make again though.

Magic Wheel Memory 05.29.2006 12:09 AM

Yeah, it's definitely there. I did it the hard way by blasting the sound between tracks.

The rumor was that they recorded the album over the Sister master tapes, but I think that's not true. If I recall correctly, whenever you hear a part from Sister, it just happens to be a main riff or lyric, which seems beyond coincidence. Did anyone else notice that? I think they just stuck some parts of Sister between tracks for fun.

umjammer atomsk 05.29.2006 01:12 AM

I never knew about this. I've only really listened to jet-set in noisy environments like the bus and stuff. That's a pretty neat discovery. I've gotta play it in musicmatch now.

acousticrock87 05.29.2006 01:40 AM

I can hear something at the end of Starfield Road, but it's really quiet. Not enough to confirm that it's not my imagination.

On the topic, though, this has always been my favorite album. I generally like experimental stuff the most, too, and this is one of the least experimental SY albums. But I like every single song on it. Except maybe Bone. Not a big fan of that song.

umjammer atomsk 05.29.2006 02:20 AM

Bone is one of my favorite kim tracks ever.

finding nobody 05.29.2006 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magic Wheel Memory
The rumor was that they recorded the album over the Sister master tapes, but I think that's not true. If I recall correctly, whenever you hear a part from Sister, it just happens to be a main riff or lyric, which seems beyond coincidence. Did anyone else notice that? I think they just stuck some parts of Sister between tracks for fun.

yeah, at the end of 'winner's blues' i hear thurston singing "schizophrenia is takin me home"

Trasher02 05.29.2006 12:52 PM

I bought the album not very long ago..
loved it!

FruitLoop 05.29.2006 01:22 PM

I've had it for a while, I think I've bought it around the time ATL came out, in a second-hand record shop. Haven't listened to it for a while, I'd actually like to, but I can't stand the "Betting on the bu-bu-bu-bu-bu-bu-bu-bu-bu-bu" until I change the track cuz it's so scratched now.

Daycare Nation 05.29.2006 03:32 PM

Hmmm...I don't hear Sister.

kingcoffee 05.29.2006 03:43 PM

It has it's strong points and it's weak points. Too bad the strong points weren't all that strong and the weak points were pretty weak.

marleypumpkin 05.29.2006 05:15 PM

^:
Well put, but I still love this album.

themawt71 05.29.2006 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daycare Nation
Hmmm...I don't hear Sister.

s'there

some of my favorite sy songs are there. doctors orders, yes bull in the heather, skink!, and their best "ballad" ever sweet shine. some clunkers too. something about that cd is very weird. it was rumored somewhere i think that the band wasnt getting along so well at this point.

Magic Wheel Memory 05.29.2006 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by themawt71
it was rumored somewhere i think that the band wasnt getting along so well at this point.

I wonder if that rumor has anything to do with the fact that Lee had no songs on that album.

acousticrock87 05.29.2006 09:21 PM

That's always been my one complaint about it. He needs at least one.

I don't think it's true though, the biography interviews were all taken during the recording of EJS, and they seemed happy as far as I remember.

Chris Lawrence 05.29.2006 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magic Wheel Memory
Yeah, it's definitely there. I did it the hard way by blasting the sound between tracks.

Nope---'jet set' dead air definitely corresponds w/ sister playing from start to finish. i don't know to what degree/why/whether the master tape story is true, etc... but the songs match up between all the jet set tunes.

And by the way -- WOW what a GREAT record JET SET is... I listened to it the other day in a state where I could pay attention to it and it's just full of great guitar tones, great vocals, great sounds, great songs. Would elaborate but ... bottom line--one of my favorite SY recordings. would even be a contender for my FAVORITE but for, of course, NO LEE. :mad:

CHOUT 05.29.2006 09:25 PM

I like this album lots. Just my two cents.

kingcoffee 05.29.2006 10:29 PM

Lee writes the most consistant songs, no doubt. I know he doesnt contribute much in the way of song writing, but whenever he does, it's almost always amazing.