Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   astounding and embarrising acts of Sonic stupidity (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=21378)

forkimified 04.25.2008 04:51 PM

Rather Ripped is probably my favourite of the 'clean' albums. Other ones I like specific songs more than those on Rather Ripped, but I'd personally consider it the most consistent. I can't believe people hate on Rather Ripped more than Sonic Nurse...

Rob Instigator 04.25.2008 04:56 PM

pattern recognition rules all

Rob Instigator 04.25.2008 04:57 PM

I think both sonic nurse and rather ripped are better albums as a whole than Murray Street

Murray Street is the most tepid sonic youth, like music for naptime and shit

ZEROpumpkins 04.25.2008 07:15 PM

I like Murray Street, it's just a little short.

This Is Not Here 04.25.2008 07:20 PM

It's my favourite record.

Rob Instigator 04.25.2008 08:14 PM

i like it a lot too, but it is too subdued for regular play for me

Death & the Maiden 04.25.2008 08:25 PM

I like Murray Street, but it isn't something I'll listen to a lot. It was strange hearing it just after listening to Confusion Is Sex and Bad Moon Rising for the first time.

SuperCreep 04.25.2008 08:43 PM

The only SY album I don't like is NYG&F, and even then, it's still a 6.5-7/10 in my book.

Probably the most consistent back catalog ever, especially given their longevity.

iskandertime 04.25.2008 09:50 PM

I diden't bother to buy "Sister" when it came out because of my firm belief that no band could make THREE great albums! (I had only heard "Bad Moon" and "Evol") What an idiot.....

pbradley 04.25.2008 11:15 PM

Once I was taking a shuttle with a bunch of people the SFO airport and the driver asked us what airline we were all with so he could drop us off at our respective gates. When it go to me, I looked down at my printed e-ticket and answered "Orbitz." Immediately after saying this, I realized my goof and there was a silence for a second and then a said "uh... I mean South Western." Nobody said a word about it.

This has little to do with "Sonic" but stupidity nevertheless. And I like laughing at my stupidity.

ZEROpumpkins 04.25.2008 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iskandertime
I diden't bother to buy "Sister" when it came out because of my firm belief that no band could make THREE great albums! (I had only heard "Bad Moon" and "Evol") What an idiot.....

That's an interesting philosophy, and ironic given that Sonic Youth went on to make a career of what (in my opinion) are good albums.

Kanamori Happy 04.26.2008 05:35 AM

I didn't know who the new bass player was when I saw Sonic Youth in Schaarbeek, Brussels in 2006. Steve told me the next day, in Paris, that it was Mark Ibold.

mil_pl 04.26.2008 05:52 AM

when i start listening to sonic youth, i've started with sonic nurse album and for two years i didn't like peace attack song, i don't know why but i always skipped it, and for now it's a great song for me. the second album i take from sonic youth was dirty, and i hated kim screaming / singing in all songs - for this i don't like that much kim songs on other albums - so my fav vocalist is thurston.

ZEROpumpkins 04.26.2008 06:05 AM

Haha everyone always says they hate peace attack, but it's such a nice song!

Shaka 04.26.2008 02:30 PM

I'll give you stupidity, a lot : when i was 16 in 1991, i remember seeing Dirty on the shelfs in a record store. I was intrigued by the cover, but i didn't buy it...

Fast forward to 1998, i still didn't know them or even how they looked. I only saw the Sunday video and thought that guy playing the guitar along Culkin looked like an old science teacher i had 4 or 5 years before. That was freaky, especially since my teacher was a woman, and not a particularly young one.

Then i finaly bought 1000 Leaves because of Sunday. I didn't know Lee and when i heard Hoarfrost and Karen Koltrane for the first time, i thought Michael Stipe was singing on their album... something in the voice, the way Lee sings "you know where when you get there"...

:o x 3

iskandertime 04.26.2008 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZEROpumpkins
That's an interesting philosophy, and ironic given that Sonic Youth went on to make a career of what (in my opinion) are good albums.

exactly! Buut I diden't know that then....

Derek 04.26.2008 05:17 PM

I don't get how NYC Ghosts and Flowers gets trampled on when it sounds way more inspired than Dirty or Experimental Jetset.

charles eugene 04.27.2008 02:25 AM

Dirty fuckin blows and EJT&NS kinda does too but is a little better (but i still love them) but i dont know what it is i just dont get about those two...

Genetic and Hendrix Necro rock though!!

charles eugene 04.27.2008 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZEROpumpkins
Haha everyone always says they hate peace attack, but it's such a nice song!

hell yea! i hear that

forkimified 04.27.2008 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaka
Then i finaly bought 1000 Leaves because of Sunday. I didn't know Lee and when i heard Hoarfrost and Karen Koltrane for the first time, i thought Michael Stipe was singing on their album... something in the voice, the way Lee sings "you know where when you get there"...

He sounds a lot like the singer of The Tragically Hip in Hoarfrost I find.