Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Ever get the feeling you've been cheated? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=30860)

PAULYBEE2656 05.01.2009 01:11 PM

jesus...... im not downloading this album because it goes against all moral fibers of my body..i will wait until it gets released properly and then i will be victorious!!

please...every album, sy album that comes out we have this....... we live in an internet age.... ive heard the album..sy streamed the album on the site for god sake... are they saying.now now people dont you go and record this or we will be forced to .....cry..... no they dont, they have a brain..well 5.....it is 2009 and there is PLENTY of differing leaks of the album around the internetwebland and everyday one gets caught and deleted by the web sherriff or whomever...... i downloaded it and ive got an advance copy cd...its in my car at the moment,..... there is 256 rips about ...ive listened to it now 7 times and i have fallen in love with the album....does that make me a internet criminal???

now i have an advance, am i not going to go out and buy it...OF COURSE THE FUCK I AM! i can see both points of view but if artists didnt ewant their stuff leaked then we wouldnt have any advance copies, no reviews, no airplay, no publicity, no nothing until the album came out........

its time to set the record straight and people to stop moralizing about their music collection. home taping is killing music...ok yeah, they said that on lp covers in the late 70s....erm, hello, we have plenty of music now! its a great way to spread the word as well.......

actually theres a thought. how about a band release a record with no internet publicity ever...say lightning bolts new album is padlocked under brian gibsons bed until the day of release then he cycles around the states and the world throwing the cds at people shouting "new lightning bolt album is out fuckers" the internet would die instantly and the world would be maybe not a better place but a less leaky place...we wouldnt be squelching around the parameters of legallity and nonsense anymore... mr giobson may come with a benny hill theme tune as well...for comedic value....

anyone got a link for the eternal by the way?

floatingslowly 05.01.2009 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hevusa
It won't be long...
which makes this 128 stream even that much more ridiculous.

And people wonder why the record industry is hurting right now.

so, what yr trying to say is "record labels are closing left and right because they refuse to release high bit-rate copies of albums BEFORE they are sold to the general public".

cool story, bro.

[edit: my lack of reply speed made me have to quote you. in yr original post, you said "closing left and right" and not "hurting". things are looking up! feel free to replace all references to "closing left and right" in MY post with "hurting". :)]

hevusa 05.01.2009 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floatingslowly
if you have already ordered the album, you will be getting a cd copy soon; so why cry about a slightly-less-than-audiophile-quality recording that you can listen to now?

Because it is not slightly less than audiophile quality. 128k is garbage and gives people a poor first impression. Not good for sonic, not good for matador, and certainly not good for those that shelled out $20 two month in advance.

We have been treated like stupid Jonas Brothers fans and I expect more from a label of the caliber that I thought matador was on.

PAULYBEE2656 05.01.2009 01:20 PM

actually..yknow you do have a very valid point about the 128 bitrate thing..its a bit..erm, cheap?

hevusa 05.01.2009 01:22 PM

Quote:

so, what yr trying to say is "record labels are closing left and right because they refuse to release high bit-rate copies of albums BEFORE they are sold to the general public".

No, that is not what I am saying. record labels are hurting because they are not adapting to the digital world around them. 128k in 2009 is a joke for any format release.

Rob Instigator 05.01.2009 01:24 PM

sonic youth rule all

floatingslowly 05.01.2009 01:40 PM

Quote:

gives people a poor first impression.

one might suppose that the bulk of those PRE-ORDERING will not be getting any sort of "first impression" of sonic youth.

who pre-orders shit from bands they've never heard??

Quote:

record labels are hurting because they are not adapting to the digital world around them.

I agree with this (somewhat); however, 10 years ago you would have first heard the new sonic youth album in yr car, on the way home from buying it.....(wait for it)....the day it was released. not two months prior, and certainly not without driving to the store.

I'd say Matador is doing a fairly good job at "adapting". the money that you paid was for the CD. everything else is gravy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PAULYBEE2656
actually..yknow you do have a very valid point about the 128 bitrate thing..its a bit..erm, cheap?

if by cheap, you mean, a free advance release, then yeah.

DaveMartin 05.01.2009 01:42 PM

Quote:

No, that is not what I am saying. record labels are hurting because they are not adapting to the digital world around them. 128k in 2009 is a joke for any format release.

Ok final word on this (I hope).

there is not a "release" of a 128K stream. The release is the LP or CD that you pre-ordered. The stream is an added bonus so you can check out the album early IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO. If 128K is a joke in your town then please wait until your LP or CD arrives to get up get, get get down.

PAULYBEE2656 05.01.2009 01:44 PM

no i dont mean it that way..they could have put out a higher quality bitrate or something..thats all., look im no expert and dont pretend to be

..as for cheap in getting an advance..i got the advance, i didnt actually ask for one! so what was i to do...destroy it on the grounds of principal? there is no cover art or no nothing really, just a disc and a little sticker.... so im still buying the real deal.......

just for the record ive bought every sy album on day of release since dirty (i was a bit young to fully appreciate goo at the time) and will contine to do so bitrate or no bitrate!

floatingslowly 05.01.2009 01:57 PM

if it wasn't for that nagging bit about the album not actually being out yet, I'd be 100% with you guys.

thing is, I completely fail to see how it would behoove any company to give away the highest quality version of their product months before it's to be released, other than quelling anal angst.

let's redicuss this the day after release. if yr cd is 128bit quality, you'll have me on board.

hevusa 05.01.2009 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveMartin
Ok final word on this (I hope).

there is not a "release" of a 128K stream. The release is the LP or CD that you pre-ordered. The stream is an added bonus so you can check out the album early IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO. If 128K is a joke in your town then please wait until your LP or CD arrives to get up get, get get down.

It is a stream release at this point and the first impression to the world. That is why it is all over the internet right now. *POOF* RELEASED! And all at a stunning 128k. Amazing!

*shakes head*

What was the point of letting matador hold my $20 for two months? I could have saved a trip to my record store and just purchased the album from the store the day of release.

BULLOCKS!!!!

we've been had and you are a part of that.

hevusa 05.01.2009 01:59 PM

Quote:

if it wasn't for that nagging bit about the album not actually being out yet, I'd be 100% with you guys.

thing is, I completely fail to see how it would behoove any company to give away the highest quality version of their product months before it's to be released, other than quelling anal angst.

let's redicuss this the day after release. if yr cd is 128bit quality, you'll have me on board.

What makes you think 192 is "the highest quality version". It wouldn't even be close.

hevusa 05.01.2009 02:06 PM

Quote:

Then what was the point of letting matador hold my $20 for two months? I could have saved a trip to my record store and just purchased the album from the store the day of release.

BULLOCKS!!!!

We've been fucking had. :fuckyou:

PAULYBEE2656 05.01.2009 02:13 PM

arguements valid on both sides....

lets be grateful that after all the years as aband, the youth have actually made an album of amazing merit for us to get all arguementative about.....

seriously, im increasingly impressed with the eternal..roll on june so i can get my hands on the actual proper unit....

noisereductions 05.01.2009 02:13 PM

Quote:

Then what was the point of letting matador hold my $20 for two months? I could have saved a trip to my record store and just purchased the album from the store the day of release.

the freakin' bonus LP numbnuts!

hevusa 05.01.2009 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
the freakin' bonus LP numbnuts!

I bought it for the stream (which I cannot use without blood coming out of my ears).

Now I have to go download this shit even though I have already paid for it. Lovely.

hevusa 05.01.2009 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PAULYBEE2656
arguements valid on both sides....

lets be grateful that after all the years as aband, the youth have actually made an album of amazing merit for us to get all arguementative about.....

seriously, im increasingly impressed with the eternal..roll on june so i can get my hands on the actual proper unit....

That I am grateful for my friend. I did listen to the stream 1 time and it seems like some of their most inspired work since washing machine in my eyes. They are an incredible band. I never want them to die.

greedrex 05.01.2009 02:33 PM

^^ i think they already died of a heart attack just reading yr posts.

hevusa 05.01.2009 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greedrex
^^ i think they already died of a heart attack just reading yr posts.

If anything killed em' it was the 128k stream.

automatic bzooty 05.01.2009 03:16 PM

Quote:

Not sucking Matador's arse here, but i really don't see the point in going on about this??? I don't even understand the problem. Any digital format (except flac maybe but come on) will be inferior to CD, and even more so sexy waxxx. Everybody knows that even my greatgrandmother. What difference does it make between 128 and 320? Next to nothing, this is a STREAM to PREVIEW the album. You were warned. Stop crying. Nobody's forcing you to listen to it. Nobody lied and nobody's stealing yr money or time. On the contrary i think that a lot of effort has been put in to satisfy the customer and i guess there are label concerns that not anybody can actually understand or take for granted. just listen to the songs, damnit.
I've been listening to this on perpetual spin for three days. See? i'm not dead. And i'm loving it. if you're an audiophile, SKIP IT. FORGET IT.
What's with the hate? The label lets you listen to the LP A MONTH ahead of physical release date. Any dumbass Sy fan could do the BEGN thing to get the extra goodies and just AVOID to listen to the 128k (o fuck is that a swearword yet?) stream if they are so inclined. Who fucking cares????
Just be grateful there is a new album out, which is fantastic, that we will all have in our hands fairly soon.
i'm sorry but this is really ridiculous.
get a fucking life, bunch of morons.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to greedrex again.

Kyohan 05.01.2009 04:20 PM

Quote:

What difference does it make between 128 and 320? Next to nothing,

Again. I'm not really complaining about the stream; I understand that Matador have their reasons for making it 128kbps and I'm sure they know their business better than I do. On the other hand, arguments like this shouldn't go by without comment.
There is a whole world of difference between 128 and 320 - yes, its all digitally compressed and subject to the limitations of MP3 encoding, but if you think there's no difference in those bitrates, you really aren't listening carefully.
At 128 their is no colour in the sound whatsoever - anything outside of the midrange will be heavily clipped and most of the dynamics in the sound are gone.
A well-encoded 320kbps MP3 will be very close to CD quality on all but the very highest end audio reproduction equipment.
If you're cool with the stream being 128 kbps, great but let's keep the facts straight.

greedrex 05.01.2009 04:28 PM

Know the difference between PREVIEW and RELEASE?
This is perefctly listenable as a preview.
i stand by the fact that the whole "my bitrate is bigger than yours" is silly as fuck. And the people on here complaining are douchebags.
YOU for one don't want to teach me ANYTHING about LISTENING.
Because you just don't.
Right?

Kyohan 05.01.2009 04:32 PM

Quote:

i stand by the fact that the whole "my bitrate is bigger than yours" is silly as fuck. And the people on here complaining are douchebags.
YOU for one don't want to teach me ANYTHING about LISTENING.
Because you just don't.
Right?

I do know the difference, which is why I said I'm not complaining about the preview.
Am I supposed to be intimidated because you're typing in capitals?
I have no wish to teach you anything, but there's a discussion going on about sound quality with some totally incorrect statements being thrown out.

floatingslowly 05.01.2009 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyohan
there's a discussion going on about sound quality.

not really. this is more a discussion about rampant self-entitlement.

I sure that just about everyone gets that 320 > 128.

what's not being understood is this:

Quote:

Originally Posted by geedex
the difference between PREVIEW and RELEASE

and....don't mind geedex's caps. he's not shouting so much as pounding the keys really hard.

greedrex 05.01.2009 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyohan
I do know the difference, which is why I said I'm not complaining about the preview.
Am I supposed to be intimidated because you're typing in capitals?
I have no wish to teach you anything, but there's a discussion going on about sound quality with some totally incorrect statements being thrown out.

no i type the key words in capitals.
there is no discussion going on here at all. It's just some douchebag shitting on something that's already awesome that makes me go all red.:mad:
Objectively, and considering that 99% of the people streaming do so on a computer through a shitty to decent plus sound system. 128 or 320 doesn't mean SHIT (keyword).
+ so many people are streaming at the same time. a 320bitrate would cause the whole streaming system to collapse most of the time.

You people complaining (and it doesn't necessarily means you, i see yr point) are spoiled to death. The bitrate makes no difference to the actual sampling of the songs. Being careful to details and high/low end whatever will happen on CD/wax on a decent system.

hevusa 05.01.2009 07:17 PM

Quote:

Know the difference between what is listenable and not.

Funny how 128k/bit was NOT good enough when they released the single of "Sacred Trickster" but it was good enough for PAYING CUSTOMERS. :fuckyou:

amerikangod 05.01.2009 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrei
Well, i grew up with a shity chinese copy of NES called TERMINATOR. And those times are far behind for me, but if you want to go back to NES please convert all your CDs to 8-bit, why should i care?
I haven't said i have golden ears, but if you brain can't process more than 128 Kb/s, it's not my problem... You don't have to be a "pretentious audiophile twat" to notice the difference.

Anyway, I haven't asked for your input on this subject. As i don't post in threads i don't give a fuck about, i expect you to do the same.
BYE

PS: Wanna trade some Cartridges?

My comments were made largely because I felt like being an internet dick. In reality, I understand your disappointment with the bit rate but otherwise think you're taking it too far. Matador hasn't cheated us, they've given us a lot for only slightly more money and I'm quite happy with everything they've offered. Also, as others have said, this is a preview, not an actual release (although the stream has been ripped and 'released' onto the internet.) Personally, I'm enjoying it as it is now and I'm sure I'll appreciate the songs with new fervor when I hear them at CD quality on June 9th, putting a fresh spin on the album for me.

THAT SAID, please allow me to continue in line with my original intent:

I've actually already converted the Eternal to midi files, AND IT SOUNDS WAY BETTER. The rhythm really kicks and the melodies are pure.

And you did so say you had golden ears:

Quote:

I have precious dainty ears made of gold and how dare Matador not treat each of my blessed ears as a prince in their own right, entitled to only the best and sovereign to all sound!

Just call them 'listening holes' like the rest of us 'blue collar slobs'...
Quote:

Fah! I tire of you blue collar slobs!

...and maybe we'll let you sit in on our card games.

And even though you didn't ask for my input (YER HIGHNESS), I will dish it out liberally. I'm also not a fan of your username. And Yahoo Messenger (your messenger of choice) is an inferior messenger program.

And why are your cartridges yellow? Oh, right. Chinese.

RanaldoNecro 05.01.2009 09:14 PM

I think the whole Buy Early package is good value. SY always give good value for their original music...

Not like The Eagles

hevusa 05.02.2009 07:46 PM

Well... I had to download the 192k version on the internet even though I purchased an advanced stream.

SOOOOOOO MUCH BETTER. Night and day.

Thanks for nothing matador.

atsonicpark 05.02.2009 07:48 PM

Cool, you should post a link! You'll get banned but wouldn't it be worth it.. to go down in a blaze of glory and negative-reptivity?

hevusa 05.02.2009 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Cool, you should post a link! You'll get banned but wouldn't it be worth it.. to go down in a blaze of glory and negative-reptivity?

Anyone under 40 should be able to find it pretty easily with a simple google search.

keywords like "sonic youth + the eternal + 192" should work nicely.

BEGN can suck a cock.

atsonicpark 05.02.2009 10:00 PM

No man, we all know how to find it, I just think it'd be a perfect ending to this thread. If you posted a link yourself. Heh... heh... heeeeeeeeh.

hevusa 05.02.2009 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
No man, we all know how to find it, I just think it'd be a perfect ending to this thread. If you posted a link yourself. Heh... heh... heeeeeeeeh.

no problem.

here is a link to the eternal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT8rTZhtgAI

probably better quality than those schmucks at Matador care to offer their PAYING CUSTOMERS.

Don't listen my ass.

PAULYBEE2656 05.03.2009 05:49 AM

really guys..this is fucking stupid....

SYRFox 05.03.2009 05:54 AM

GROUNDBREAKING NEWS

hevusa has just been elected "douchebag of the year"!
Congratulations hevusa!!

andrei 05.03.2009 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amerikangod
My comments were made largely because I felt like being an internet dick. In reality, I understand your disappointment with the bit rate but otherwise think you're taking it too far. Matador hasn't cheated us, they've given us a lot for only slightly more money and I'm quite happy with everything they've offered. Also, as others have said, this is a preview, not an actual release (although the stream has been ripped and 'released' onto the internet.) Personally, I'm enjoying it as it is now and I'm sure I'll appreciate the songs with new fervor when I hear them at CD quality on June 9th, putting a fresh spin on the album for me.

THAT SAID, please allow me to continue in line with my original intent:

I've actually already converted the Eternal to midi files, AND IT SOUNDS WAY BETTER. The rhythm really kicks and the melodies are pure.

And you did so say you had golden ears:

Just call them 'listening holes' like the rest of us 'blue collar slobs'...
...and maybe we'll let you sit in on our card games.

And even though you didn't ask for my input (YER HIGHNESS), I will dish it out liberally. I'm also not a fan of your username. And Yahoo Messenger (your messenger of choice) is an inferior messenger program.

And why are your cartridges yellow? Oh, right. Chinese.

Well, that quoting thing it is not very fair-play...

THAT SAID,
bye

hevusa 05.03.2009 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SYRFox
GROUNDBREAKING NEWS

Sorry SYRFox.... that is actually old news. Old on the level that 128k/bit is to 2009.

SYRFox 05.03.2009 01:49 PM

Quote:

Sorry SYRFox.... that is actually old news. Old on the level that 128k/bit is to 2009.

I think I'm getting it now
You're actually joking since the beginning of it all
Am I right?

hevusa 05.03.2009 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SYRFox
I think I'm getting it now
You're actually joking since the beginning of it all
Am I right?

Why would you take the eternal sounding like low bit rate garbage as a joke?? I certainly don't.

I finally had to download a 192 version to stop the bleeding from my ears. Now I hear guitar details that I couldn't before and it is actually an enjoyable listening experience. Still not CD quality by any means but at least the mids aren't destroyed along with the rest of the frequencies.

I'm still shocked that people making executive decisions could consider 128k/bit acceptable for a stream preview sent out to their most die hard fans, especially in the year 2009 when I can already find 192 and above online.

Good job understanding the new digital market Matador! Keep up the cutting edge work!

SYRFox 05.03.2009 02:08 PM

Quote:

Why would you take the eternal sounding like low bit rate garbage as a joke?? I certainly don't.

Hilarious.