Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Coronavirus (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=122193)

Debaser 05.24.2020 07:28 PM

Also, the government could have came out and said 'look, what Cumminigs did was against the rules and we're sorry.....' but they didn't even fucking do that...fucking shitshow. Has to go down as the worst UK Government in living memory and to have this pandemic with so many people dead is unforgivable. I really hope that the public and the media don't loose this story even if Cummings does end up getting the boot because at this stage the Government have been complicit in all of this.

!@#$%! 05.24.2020 08:10 PM

is the possibility of herd immunity confirmed yet? or is it a wild hypothesis?

demonrail666 05.25.2020 05:24 AM

If it wasn't before I don't see how it can't be now. By letting Cummings off the hook the government will have lost the authority necessary to enforce any kind of Lockdown. Cummings has to resign or Boris has to sack him, end of.

h8kurdt 05.25.2020 11:57 AM

Cummings saying he drove a hour away from his parents place to Barnard Castle to "test his eyesight"is one of the most incredible excuses I've ever heard. Up there with "my dog ate my homework" and "I couldn't have met Epstein as I was at pizza express".

Any trust the public had in Johnson and his cronies has just disappeared.

g. 05.25.2020 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h8kurdt
Cummings saying he drove a hour away from his parents place to Barnard Castle to "test his eyesight"is one of the most incredible excuses I've ever heard. Up there with "my dog ate my homework" and "I couldn't have met Epstein as I was at pizza express".

Any trust the public had in Johnson and his cronies has just disappeared.

Honestly you couldn't make this shit up. It's unbelievable. These people are fit to guide a country?! Fucking shambles.

demonrail666 05.25.2020 02:13 PM

I'm far more astonished that Boris hasn't just sacked him than I am by the credibility (or lack of) of Cummings' excuse. I just don't see what he thinks he can gain by not sacking him, compared with the backlash he's facing now, trying to make excuses for him. Even newspapers like The Mail are calling bullshit on this one. I'll be amazed if Cummings is still in place by Friday, even if it means him resigning rather than Boris sacking him.

g. 05.25.2020 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
I'm far more astonished that Boris hasn't just sacked him than I am by the credibility (or lack of) of Cummings' excuse. I just don't see what he thinks he can gain by not sacking him, compared with the backlash he's facing now, trying to make excuses for him. Even newspapers like The Mail are calling bullshit on this one. I'll be amazed if Cummings is still in place by Friday, even if it means him resigning rather than Boris sacking him.

Prick had the arrogance to say he hadn't even considered offering to resign. Boris is too deep in his arse to sack him.

The Soup Nazi 05.25.2020 04:26 PM

Quote:

Don't forget the epic Twinkie defense.

demonrail666 05.25.2020 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g.
Prick had the arrogance to say he hadn't even considered offering to resign. Boris is too deep in his arse to sack him.

Having just watched his statement to the media I think you might be right.

The Soup Nazi 05.25.2020 09:50 PM

The second peak is coming, motherfuckers!

Also, the World Health Organization gave up on the damn hydroxyLysol tests because it turns out it's not good for ya. WHO knew.

tw2113 05.25.2020 10:29 PM

Hopefully in the upcoming weeks, I get my "Spaceballs the Facemask" in the mail. Real thing, i can link you to the TeePublic store.

Bytor Peltor 05.26.2020 12:07 AM

Japans Lifts Nationwide State Of Emergency

“Abe told Japanese citizens to be prepared for a second wave of the COVID-19 pandemic and added that a state of emergency may have to be reintroduced if that were to happen. The prime minister added that border control will continue to be hardened as the virus continues to spread around the world.“

_tunic_ 05.26.2020 12:29 PM

CMU researchers show most Twitter accounts tweeting about the coronavirus are bots

A few quotes:
Quote:

In a study that has gained recognition with national news outlets, researchers at Carnegie Mellon University found that much of the discussion on Twitter surrounding covid-19 is misinformation, fueled by bot accounts.

CMU researchers have collected more than 200 million tweets discussing coronavirus or covid-19 since January, according to a news release. Of the top 50 influential retweeters, 82% were bots. Of the top 1,000 retweeters, 62% were bots.

tw2113 05.26.2020 04:21 PM

Honestly, all the more reason to tweet/discuss anything but this topic. You'll drive yourself insane and apparently argue with AI.

h8kurdt 05.27.2020 04:02 AM

In case any non-brits are wondering what the debacle about Cummings is all about.

What an omnishambles

_tunic_ 05.27.2020 05:36 AM

Quote:

Thanks for sharing. Just in case anyone didn't realise this as I hadn't at first: read the complete collection of that story not just the one first tweet. Also, this reaction of a Sky news reporter is priceless.
Quite shocking that only 52% want him sacked, which means that 48% believe it's OK or they don't care.

The Soup Nazi 05.28.2020 02:14 AM

Hey, that vaccine we desperately need? Yeah, no, only half the U.S. wants it after all.

This is hopeless.

GeneticKiss 05.28.2020 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
Hey, that vaccine we desperately need? Yeah, no, only half the U.S. wants it after all.

This is hopeless.

Hope they enjoy social distancing for the rest of their lives then...

The Soup Nazi 05.28.2020 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeneticKiss
Hope they enjoy social distancing for the rest of their lives then...

Well, that's the thing: they're not, and they won't. As Paul Krugman wrote referring to the fact that over 100,000 people have died of COVID-19 in the U.S., "the worst may be yet to come. If you aren't terrified by photos of large crowds gathering over Memorial Day weekend without either wearing masks or practicing social distancing, you haven't been paying attention".

By the way, even though the Dotard has said we're gonna have a vaccine very very soon, sooner than you think, a beautiful vaccine the likes of which other vaccines have never seen, I bet you my ultra-mint copy of 4 Tunna Brix that —whether he's still president or not— he'll then say he won't take it because he doesn't need it because he's a golden god. Motherfucker hasn't even told his dipshit followers to wash their fucking hands.

tw2113 05.28.2020 08:12 AM

I absolutely would get vaccinated but perhaps in a tentative way. I'm not sure I'd rush out asap once one is announced, because to some extent, I want to allow at least a little more time to verify that there are no major side effects, at least ones that I would much rather avoid. However, once all clear, I'd absolutely go in for one.

It also makes me wonder how much of a mad rush there were for previous major diseases that eventually discovered vaccines and if there were some waiting periods as well.