Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

Norma J 11.22.2007 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicfit
yep. the endings are not the things this director does best (see Dead Man's Shoes too), but all in all it's beautifully shot and the actors are really great. It's not a movie that will change your life or anything, but it's highly enjoyable overall. Innit?

It was, yeah. I enjoyed it. I saw it at the cinema* too, so that made it special aswell.

*I think I've spoke about this particular cinema before here but anyway, it's a cool little cinema that plays alot films that don't go to major cinemas. So even if a movie stinks alittle, the atmosphere makes up for it. The owners who run it all hours, an old couple, are grumpy as and roll their eyes at my tattoos and anything they don't like. Shame, but still, the cinema is fantastic.

Dead-Air 11.22.2007 06:53 PM

I just watched The Gods Must Be Crazy, finally. My mom's here for Thanksgiving, so that seemed relatively safe, and I'd always wanted to see it. It was o.k., maybe not all I'd hoped or expected, but not bad either.

Tokolosh 11.22.2007 07:07 PM

I love how the guys crawl under the jeep to escape the lion and N!xau (Xixo) gets into the drivers seat and drives off. The whole sequence is speeded up, which makes it even sillier. Classic 80's SA movie. You should see Funny People. Candid Camera a la Africa.

LifeDistortion 11.22.2007 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tokolosh
Good film. I didn't expect it to be so graphically violent.Not for kids.

Pan's Labryinith

Well, yeah it is rated R for a reason. I'd let a 14 or 15 year old watch it, but not a 7 year old. They can watch "The Never-Ending Story".

Alex's Trip 11.23.2007 12:26 AM

I saw No Country For Old Men last night.

Bomb shit, right there. Violent, but not mindless. Very suspenseful and it is born out of an interesting story, rather than a crappy excuse for violence and suspense (see: 300).

gmku 11.23.2007 12:40 AM

Just saw No Country... myself tonight, and loved it. Like 100 x better than anything else out there right now. But then, it's the Coen Bros. What else would it be?

Dead-Air 11.23.2007 12:40 AM

Just watched A Beautiful Mind. Not bad for a Ron Howard movie. He had me completely convinced it wasn't going to end happily for a while.

Alex's Trip 11.23.2007 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmku
Just saw No Country... myself tonight, and loved it. Like 100 x better than anything else out there right now. But then, it's the Coen Bros. What else would it be?

And now that I've seen it, I can focus all my attention on the next movie that looks 100 times better than anything else out right now: There Will Be Blood.

Looks great. Paul Dano's character looks really interesting. I think I am going to ask for Oil! by Upton Sinclair for Christmas.

davenotdead 11.23.2007 01:37 AM

Paul Dano's character looks like the one thing that might ruin this movie...DDL is the best actor alive.

on another note, i drove 35 minutes to the one theatre in my city playing Before the Devil Knows Youre Dead, only to be told that they 'canceled it' tonight....it was in my town for 1 day...ended up seeing Bee Movie for free...oh my the disappointment....

SynthethicalY 11.23.2007 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex's Trip
I saw No Country For Old Men last night.

Bomb shit, right there. Violent, but not mindless. Very suspenseful and it is born out of an interesting story, rather than a crappy excuse for violence and suspense (see: 300).

I saw that movie and god was it amazing.

Alex's Trip 11.23.2007 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davenotdead
Paul Dano's character looks like the one thing that might ruin this movie...DDL is the best actor alive.

I really like the idea of someone as young as him playing someone so religiously revered. It is creepy in a new way. His voice may not seem right, but I think it sort of adds to it.

davenotdead 11.23.2007 02:31 AM

yeah its just how awkward his screams sound in the preview...i dont know

i trust DDL...and generally PTA should do a good job...and I liked Dano in Little Miss Sunshine

Alex's Trip 11.23.2007 02:35 AM

Yeah, I definitely can tell what you mean. I think it comes down to personal preference.

It doesn't bother me.

And I trust DDL and PTA as well.

What other names should be permanently be abbreviated?

davenotdead 11.23.2007 02:44 AM

PSH...though i kinda like typing out Philip Seymour Hoffman

JCR...John C Reilly has a cool akronym'd name...

m1rr0r dash 11.24.2007 01:02 AM

Everyneurotic 11.24.2007 01:18 AM

can't hardly wait.

still the best.

SynthethicalY 11.24.2007 02:02 AM

I'm Not There, it was okay.

Anngella 11.24.2007 02:47 AM

I watched like 20 minutes of Psycho. The only 20 minutes I've ever seen of that movie, just about.
And it's not because it's a bad movie or anything, I just don't have the attention span to withstand all the fucking commercials. Or I get busy or something. Not get busy like sex, but get busy like I end up doing something. Not doing something like sex..

And I think I saw about 49 seconds of White Christmas.

Alex's Trip 11.24.2007 02:49 AM

You are making to many excuses for your "lack" of sex.

Who are you doing it with?

Anngella 11.24.2007 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex's Trip
You are making to many excuses for your "lack" of sex.

Who are you doing it with?

Myself. Or something that vibrates. Like an electric shaver with the blades taken off. Obviously.