Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   hi guys (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=35267)

alteredcourse 10.15.2009 12:33 AM

I think that you're born to do it, but you need to get some of that crazy energy juice out and just chill out and get outside of your head or something. Be dumb, even. And let it out.

It seems like you've got some expectations on your shoulders.

phoenix 10.15.2009 12:34 AM

I am kind of tone deaf which does not help.

alteredcourse 10.15.2009 12:35 AM

Hmmm ? How so ?

amerikangod 10.15.2009 12:35 AM

Ok, time to go shave my head and beat off and hit the hay.

In sum:

GET WET.

phoenix 10.15.2009 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alteredcourse
I think that you're born to do it, but you need to get some of that crazy energy juice out and just chill out and get outside of your head or something. Be dumb, even. And let it out.

It seems like you've got some expectations on your shoulders.

honestly I have less drive to sit around and play, because I'm living with someone who has absolutely no interest in being creative in any way shape or form. So this ends up being an excuse for me to not do it, because instead of being involved they tell me they can't hear the tv.

DeadDiscoDildo 10.15.2009 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoenix
I've had books given to me, I've looked up things, I've had people teaching me. Seriously, it's just one of those skills I doubt I'll ever really get. It really isn't because I don't want to understand haha.

I think at some point something shifts in our brains and we have some sort of epiphany or change of thought in our life, not always musically related...you know, the same thing that makes that "bad boy" become a born again christian and etc. or you are stuck on that algebra problem and figure it out, then all of a sudden yr on to calculus the next week...

something snaps in our brains...

I always wanted to play music when I was a kid, wanted to play drums, tried my friends, and it was remeniscant of Steve Martin trying to 'snap' in The Jerk.

Then I tried to play his guitar and failed miserabley, stayed a fan of music, and by accident when I was 15 picked up a guitar that my dad was helping a friend sell on ebay and I jsut started playing it and it made sense...

something snapped in my brain...and that plus will...well now I can play every instrument I come across...and besides piano (im just ok at that) I play them all at the same skill level...

atsonicpark 10.15.2009 12:37 AM

Funny, my ex-old lady told me I was too creative, since I'd rather sit and play guitar than watch TV.

phoenix 10.15.2009 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alteredcourse
Hmmm ? How so ?

I couldn't recognise a note twice.

As in, if you played a bunch of notes and told me what they were, I couldn't then tell you what they were if you played them back to me. It's all a blur. Beats make so much more sense in my head.

phoenix 10.15.2009 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Funny, my ex-old lady told me I was too creative, since I'd rather sit and play guitar than watch TV.

TV is fucking bulshit, I'd rather have it off whenever possible. If it's too damn quiet then make some noise or put on a record for fucks sake.

It's just too mindless. Perhaps my mind is too busy to want to switch off.

atsonicpark 10.15.2009 12:40 AM

Fuck Art Let's Dance

DeadDiscoDildo 10.15.2009 12:40 AM

Yeah I was showing this girl my studio one time and going around playing the different instruments, and she said 'stop being so good at everything'....then I realized I had no chance to fuck her haha...

she'd rather I was the type to sit at her feet while she gossips

Seandi 10.15.2009 12:40 AM

williamso9n, stooges?

davenotdead 10.15.2009 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadDiscoDildo
Btw, after reading my post and most of yr posts...we're all a bunch of pussies and I make myself sick...

i hope i'm not coming off as a pussy... i am the only one in the thread offering to kill people after all

phoenix 10.15.2009 12:41 AM

Quote:

I think at some point something shifts in our brains and we have some sort of epiphany or change of thought in our life, not always musically related...you know, the same thing that makes that "bad boy" become a born again christian and etc. or you are stuck on that algebra problem and figure it out, then all of a sudden yr on to calculus the next week...

something snaps in our brains...

I always wanted to play music when I was a kid, wanted to play drums, tried my friends, and it was remeniscant of Steve Martin trying to 'snap' in The Jerk.

Then I tried to play his guitar and failed miserabley, stayed a fan of music, and by accident when I was 15 picked up a guitar that my dad was helping a friend sell on ebay and I jsut started playing it and it made sense...

something snapped in my brain...and that plus will...well now I can play every instrument I come across...and besides piano (im just ok at that) I play them all at the same skill level...

I honestly think if I put in the practice I would be better but probably not anything other than basically okay. In my mind there is some concept of the whole shebang that would make sense to me that I just haven't cracked yet ( like the snap thing) but for the life of me I can't get there, or at least as easily as I usually get there with other things. Which is less than motivating.

phoenix 10.15.2009 12:42 AM

Quote:

Yeah I was showing this girl my studio one time and going around playing the different instruments, and she said 'stop being so good at everything'....then I realized I had no chance to fuck her haha...

I'd just go "okay teach me that"

alteredcourse 10.15.2009 12:42 AM

Quote:

I couldn't recognise a note twice.

As in, if you played a bunch of notes and told me what they were, I couldn't then tell you what they were if you played them back to me. It's all a blur. Beats make so much more sense in my head.

That kind of thing can be improved with practice though.

Dead-Air 10.15.2009 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davenotdead
i hope i'm not coming off as a pussy... i am the only one in the thread offering to kill people after all

If there's one thing I'm sure of - there is nothing more deadly than a pussy.

DeadDiscoDildo 10.15.2009 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davenotdead

Fair enough.

atsonicpark 10.15.2009 12:43 AM

...did someone mention girl feet...

DeadDiscoDildo 10.15.2009 12:45 AM

Quote:

I'd just go "okay teach me that"

Come to America now, ditch yr tvboy, let's teach eachother things! & if u get bored with me indiana is only a few hours away so atsonicpark will be waiting haha! but me first :-)