Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   whatchoo think about the eternal? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=31544)

mil_pl 05.26.2009 02:45 AM

whatchoo think about the eternal?

yeah, I've seen like about 100 threads about it, so now with poll! :p

and now everybody heard the eternal many times, new sonic album fresh always the best at first hearings, but then you can rate it wihtout that, so come on!

dionysusundone 05.26.2009 03:06 AM

Yeah 8's about right. It's great but not quite perfect.

pbradley 05.26.2009 03:08 AM

Considering 5 to mean "solid album," I gave it a 6.

andrei 05.26.2009 04:05 AM

I gave it a 7, since there was not 7.5

_slavo_ 05.26.2009 04:11 AM

6/10.
Still better than Rather Ripped.

greedrex 05.26.2009 05:28 AM

very nice
like it a lot.
Could have been even better if they had spent more time on arrangements and production.
It's a very solid collection of songs nonetheless.
happy rex

Schizophrenia 05.26.2009 06:55 AM

I gave it 7. It's okay.

SuperCreep 05.26.2009 07:53 AM

High eight.

chrome noise tape 05.26.2009 08:10 AM

negative8ball 05.26.2009 08:16 AM

I went 9... probably TOO high... but I can't stop listening to it, even in the cruddy stream, so I can only imagine I'll like it that much more when it's properly released... it's likely an 8, but it also got me to pull out all my other SY discs and start listening to everything a little more, so it gets a bonus point for making me re-love the rest of my collection.

alex_could 05.26.2009 09:57 AM

I've given 7. For me it means that the album is on the way from well (6) to good (8).
Favorite songs (starting from the best one) so far are: Malibu, Poison Arrow, Leaky Lifeboat, No Way, Thunderclap.

verme (prevaricator) 05.26.2009 10:21 AM

oh, it leaked already? i haven't heard it yet.

PAULYBEE2656 05.26.2009 10:51 AM

barnaclelapse 05.26.2009 11:25 AM

I'd say it's about a seven for me right now, but I can see that getting a little higher with repeat listens.

atsonicpark 05.26.2009 11:27 AM

jennthebenn 05.26.2009 11:28 AM

mil_pl 05.26.2009 02:32 PM

just kiddin'

mil_pl 05.26.2009 02:33 PM

joe11121 05.26.2009 02:41 PM

I gave it a 10. It's a great album.

[Sandbag] 05.26.2009 08:55 PM

afterthefact 05.27.2009 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greedrex
very nice
like it a lot.
Could have been even better if they had spent more time on arrangements and production.
It's a very solid collection of songs nonetheless.
happy rex

Hmm, the lack of arrangements is what makes me like this album so much. It sounds more improvised to me.

greedrex 05.27.2009 08:50 AM

no i didn't express myself right.
What i meant was NOT arrangements at all.
I meant i would have liked (in an ideal world ) more weirds breaks / bridges, noisy parts, mmmm it sometimes sounds a bit "dry" (if that makes sense to anybody). In a way it sounds abit VU-like, the sound is pretty rough , i dunno.
I like it a lot, but i'm still waiting in vain for a Washing Machine part.2.
You know the inner sophistication of that record blew me way and still floors me everytime.... This new LP is really the opposite in terms of the overall impression it leaves behind when it's over. Very short songs, i dunno.
Still VERY happy with it, listening to it right now actually, which says it all.
and still very impressed they can pull THIS out at this point in their career, knowing that they are my parents' age... And my parents are not sonic at all.

greedrex 05.27.2009 08:52 AM

Compare a twisted fucker like "Skip tracer" to "No way".
ha ha.
The riff of Skip tracer was so weird and amazing. And No way sounds so generic.

Tuff Gnarl 05.27.2009 02:37 PM

I would say it's a 7 after a few listens.

godsfavoritedog 05.28.2009 02:40 PM

Went with an 8. I was initially thinking 7 but then when I rated the songs individually and averaged it all out, it came out to around 7.5. I figure it's safe to say that the sound quality of a cd will make it even better so I rounded up. Maybe I'm putting way too much effort into this.

sarramkrop 05.28.2009 03:48 PM

(((((8)))))

Skuj 05.28.2009 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mil_pl
and now everybody heard the eternal many times,

NO!

I can't wait till June 8th then!

Skuj 05.28.2009 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by verme (prevaricator)
oh, it leaked already? i haven't heard it yet.

Marry me.

afterthefact 05.29.2009 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greedrex
no i didn't express myself right.
What i meant was NOT arrangements at all.
I meant i would have liked (in an ideal world ) more weirds breaks / bridges, noisy parts, mmmm it sometimes sounds a bit "dry" (if that makes sense to anybody). In a way it sounds abit VU-like, the sound is pretty rough , i dunno.
I like it a lot, but i'm still waiting in vain for a Washing Machine part.2.
You know the inner sophistication of that record blew me way and still floors me everytime.... This new LP is really the opposite in terms of the overall impression it leaves behind when it's over. Very short songs, i dunno.
Still VERY happy with it, listening to it right now actually, which says it all.
and still very impressed they can pull THIS out at this point in their career, knowing that they are my parents' age... And my parents are not sonic at all.

I can see some of what you are saying, although when I listen to it, I feel like SY approached this in a way they haven't approached anything in a long time, like a fresh look at what they themselves were doing. I'm not saying that this in itself makes it better, although I love it.

alex_could 05.31.2009 03:47 PM

Now, after listening to it in a good quality, it's 8.5 for me (thought I pushed 7 first), and maybe it will grow some more. Now it's really juicy and everything, a very good SY record, I hope not the last one. Definitely I will buy it!

mysonichaircut 05.31.2009 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swa(y)
im curious as to who + why someone gave it a three???? i mean, i think thats fair...
just curious as to what whoever rated it as such did not like about the album.

i gave it 3. why? after listening to this album again and again, i think all in all its shit. but i like some songs somehow, and some songs make me say: "good work, business man, teenagers will buy that", but as a whole, it doesnt touch me. too predictable maybe? i dont know. best i can say: it sounds good when its played live! so, thats a solid 3.

alex_could 05.31.2009 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mysonichaircut
after listening to this album again and again, i think all in all its shit.

i thought so too. i wonder how it could change so much for me. anyway, listen to it in better quality

krastian 06.04.2009 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennthebenn

I love the new album.

Concrete Abutments 06.04.2009 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mysonichaircut
i gave it 3. why? after listening to this album again and again, i think all in all its shit. but i like some songs somehow, and some songs make me say: "good work, business man, teenagers will buy that", but as a whole, it doesnt touch me. too predictable maybe? i dont know. best i can say: it sounds good when its played live! so, thats a solid 3.

I was going for a 5 this afternoon on first listen. I'm not getting that feeling I get with a new SY album. For the uninitiated this album is probably a masterpiece but I'm elderly and I've been there so many times now.

My 5 has been bumped up to a 7. I'm realizing now that what's killing most of it for me is the production! BRING BACK RICHARD HELL! There are sections that never landed the first spin and now they're starting to pop out of the mix.

Still it's not unbelievable. Calming The Snake is the weakest track.

cleveland 06.05.2009 07:05 AM

a 9 because of "poison arrow" & "...bobby pyn" - amazing.

alex_could 06.05.2009 09:04 AM

Pay attention to some moments on 'Calming The Snake' and you'll like it more:
1) Steve's drumming is awesome during the whole album, it seems like he has no learnt parts and just plays as he feels at the moment, but always right. E.g. in this song, that part where there's no drums - first he starts with 'tam tam' and second with 'tam-tam', like he was late to play the same thing again.
2) Guitar slide after Kim's 'oh, oh, oh', on 2:10. I like it much.
3) Ending, from 3:10.

noisereductions 06.05.2009 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by godsfavoritedog
Went with an 8. I was initially thinking 7 but then when I rated the songs individually and averaged it all out, it came out to around 7.5. I figure it's safe to say that the sound quality of a cd will make it even better so I rounded up. Maybe I'm putting way too much effort into this.

...I always do this. haha.

cuneyt81 06.05.2009 12:28 PM

I give it an 8. Really solid album.

noisereductions 06.05.2009 12:52 PM

afterthefact 06.05.2009 01:20 PM

I just realized that my downloaded copy of The Eternal was not The Eternal. I don't know what it is, but it's not this. Weird. But it's kind of cool, because now I can buy it and hear it for the first time :)

If you are wondering how I could make this mistake, keep in mind that I was under the impression after downloading this that it was a mostly instrumental album. It sounded SY-ish, but if it was, it wasn't from The Eternal.