Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Experimental Jet Set, Trash and No Star (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=1307)

Daycare Nation 04.26.2006 10:10 PM

Experimental Jet Set, Trash and No Star

I see that this album gets dissed quite a bit. But I've always loved the whole thing. I think it's a classic.

HaydenAsche 04.26.2006 10:14 PM

I dunno. I don't like it.

Pax Americana 04.26.2006 10:17 PM

I like it, but it's really never been one of my favorites.

schizophrenicroom 04.26.2006 10:17 PM

I like the message of Starfield Road.

Sweet Shine! I love that.

Daycare Nation 04.26.2006 10:18 PM

Why not? I don't understand what's bad about it. Not that you can convince me that it isn't good, of course. I like its laid-backness, for lack of a better word.

golden child 04.26.2006 10:18 PM

i bought and listened to it twice and didnt really like it, so i never really listen to it. i should probaly give it another couple spins... acually ill do that now.

HaydenAsche 04.26.2006 10:19 PM

I dunno. I pretty much hate a lot of what SY has done. The stuff I do like I find completely brilliant though.

Daycare Nation 04.26.2006 10:19 PM

I like Skink and Doctor's Orders and Tokyo Eye and Winner's Blues.

golden child 04.26.2006 10:20 PM

experimental jetset is really the only one i dont like (putting it in now)
dirty i used to not like but its really grown on me

the first ep is good sometimes, but only when im in the right mood

Daycare Nation 04.26.2006 10:22 PM

This album and A Thousand Leaves are both dear to me. I think A Thousand Leaves is a masterpiece...You know I was going to say that some of the ATL tracks were lacking, but they're not--I like that whole album as well.

Although some of Kim's free-association lyrics do tend to miss the mark at times.

umjammer atomsk 04.26.2006 10:24 PM

I know, i really dig it too. Why does everyone hate it so much? It has a bunch of really good songs. Sometimes a few of them feel kinda like filler, but most of the time i'm just going along with it all excited and such. Butch Vig returned as producer but i've read that SY turned him down when he requested more takes on songs.
Dirty is probably the only album that makes me mad sometimes; the glossy production, the grungy skateboard vibe, and my ambivalence towards Purr. But i'll admit there are some cool tracks on it though. (on the strip, JC...)
Um, I like Goo. I love the Pettibon cover. But most of the songs kinda feel a bit shallower than youth's other releases. Major label jump I suppose.

Daycare Nation 04.26.2006 10:27 PM

Yes, I love On the Strip and JC. Also Theresa's Sound World.

umjammer atomsk 04.26.2006 10:33 PM

I like Theresa once it gets going but i usually skip it unconciously because i find the guitar sounds a bit like that metallica song. The song is pretty good though, Theresa's Sound World that is.

Drugstore_Cowboy 04.26.2006 10:34 PM

I like it. I prefer NYC Ghosts & Flowers, though, which seems to often get coupled with it.

krastian 04.26.2006 10:35 PM

I've always liked it. Sure it's not Sister or even Dirty, but still. It's Sonic Youth. I love Sonic Youth! Doctor's Orders!

Daycare Nation 04.26.2006 10:41 PM

Actually, I think Sister has some totally brilliant songs (Schizophrenia, Cotton Crown) but is not as consistent as Evol. I also think Jet Set is more consistent than Sister. The whole "We're Ciccone" thing at the end tends to ruin it for me.

schizophrenicroom 04.26.2006 10:44 PM

Master-Dik is killer.

umjammer atomsk 04.26.2006 10:47 PM

Cotton Crown is a fucking beautiful song. Sometimes i wish that Schizophrenia was longer. I love the instrumental part, on both songs naturally.

Daycare Nation 04.26.2006 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by umjammer atomsk
Cotton Crown is a fucking beautiful song. Sometimes i wish that Schizophrenia was longer. I love the instrumental part, on both songs naturally.

Yes, I believe those songs capture that transcendent spirit which Sonic Youth uniquely expresses.

Dan 04.26.2006 10:52 PM

I think this was the second Sonic Youth album I bought-- Bad Moon Rising being the first. I like it just as much as any other record of theirs, but I can see why some people weren't digging it as much everything else.

Daycare Nation 04.26.2006 10:56 PM

Jet Set Cards

I also like the exchangeable cards in the jewel case...Sometimes I use the green card with Kim and the yellow star at the end of her guitar neck.

noumenal 04.26.2006 10:57 PM

Master-Dik isn't part of the original LP. It is a CD Bonus Track.

hey alex 04.26.2006 10:57 PM

Ehm, jet set... I dunno, it's seems to carry a more stale atmosphere than most other things sy's done. Kinda like they didn't really want to make an album when they made jet set. But it has it's moments, it's just from a rough spot.

Daycare Nation 04.26.2006 11:01 PM

I don't know--I think maybe people are mistaking the lack of typical Sonic youth "intensity" for apathy, when really it was something else entirely. I sense a very definite atmosphere and feeling from the record.

It's good to know that Master-Dik wasn't part of the original Sister record...it should never have even been included on the CD...It belongs on the Ciccone record.

terminal pharmacy 04.27.2006 12:04 AM

i love ejt & ns it is a great album and is different to everything sy have done

hey alex 04.27.2006 12:33 AM

it's something i might pop in tonight.

LifeDistortion 04.27.2006 12:40 AM

Its seems to be that people who diss EJSTNS dislike the fact that its easy to listen to, just like "Dirty" is easy to listen to. Maybe they think the fact that its easy to listen to then thier other albums people have issues with it. I really don't know. Its a little more laid back, even a bit bluesy. I love the album still.

terminal pharmacy 04.27.2006 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LifeDistortion
Its seems to be that people who diss EJSTNS dislike the fact that its easy to listen to, just like "Dirty" is easy to listen to. Maybe they think the fact that its easy to listen to then thier other albums people have issues with it. I really don't know. Its a little more laid back, even a bit bluesy. I love the album still.

I agree maybe it is some sort of indie cred thing, both albums are great, i would only bag them if i thought i was writing way better music than them and that aint gonna happen.....

top 40 squeeze 04.27.2006 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daycare Nation
I see that this album gets dissed quite a bit. But I've always loved the whole thing. I think it's a classic.

Absolutely man. It's really a unique, odd, intense album. It's ranked low on my list of favorite Sonic Youth records, but that's just cause I have to be in the right mood to listen to it. When it clicks it clicks and sounds like some of their best shit. I actually think it was one of my favorites for a long long time, back before I had all their records. I still like it better than Washing Machine, which I really really need to be in the mood to listen to. EJST+NS has very interesting Lee guitar parts, something I don't think gets enough recognition. I have no idea why some people think its like their peak of commercial recording. What because Butch Vig produced it? Because Bull in the Heather got some play? Don't get it.

Sn@ke 04.27.2006 02:31 AM

Experimental Jet Set, Trash and No Star is great!.I don't know how people don't like it, I like it better than Dirty.

toxic johnny 04.27.2006 03:12 AM

I remember when it came out I was in danger of not liking them as much if they didn't deliver something a bit more interesting after the intense polish of Dirty... I came home with the record a little nervous... put it on.... sat down and let it wash over me... boy was I relieved, they really fucked with the format on this one... you didn't know what was going to happen next as far as song structure goes, and I applaud them for that... also that marvelous sound collage gift at the end of Sweet Shine on the CD version.
Also they used the great Jack Brewer quote 'Once the music leaves your head it's already compromised' on the sleeve, which says it all I think.

So you could say that this album restored my faith in them.

A Thousand Threads 04.27.2006 03:18 AM

havenīt listened to EJSTNS in a long time

It has some really nice tunes on it but itīs not a perfect album as a whole, in my opinion.
not in my sy top ten

screamingskull 04.27.2006 04:38 AM

awww, i love it. to me Dirty and Goo was their mainstream/more commercial stuff and Experimental Jet Set Trash and No Star is them taking the piss out of themselves for doing that and the whole commercial mainstream industry as a whole. its like them going "okay we went comerical, now lets take the laugh at ourselves"
plus, im screamingskull, so you know i love that album anyway.

Neongod 04.27.2006 05:24 AM

Jet Set to me is a transition album. It's got its fair share of good songs (especially the first 5 IIRC) but it seems direction-less. It sometimes feels like leftover songs...like Radiohead's "Amnesiac".
I do, however, like it better than NYCG&F.

TheyLiveByNight 04.27.2006 07:54 AM

I've always loved this album. Finding it on cassette in my sister's room all these years ago is the reason I love Sonic Youth to this day. Okay, so there's no Lee songs, but it has some of the best Kim songs.

the big quasar 04.27.2006 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daycare Nation
I like Skink and Doctor's Orders and Tokyo Eye and Winner's Blues.

I'm with you 100% It's a strong album.

fishmonkey 04.27.2006 08:28 AM

i fuckin love EJSTANS, its the one record i used to get my best mate onto Sonic Youth, its a classic album, actually gives me an idea for a signature.... starfield rd? sweet shine? so many great tunes on it why do people have a problem with it?

Bal 04.27.2006 08:42 AM

love that album to bits.

making the drama scene 04.27.2006 09:35 AM

I didn't know ejst&ns until last summer, when a friend of mine introduced it to me....and I was enjoying it that much, that I went to a record store the next day and bought it, because I liked it that much (hasn't changed yet)

By the way I started smoking again this evening, listening to the album

sonikjuice 04.27.2006 10:16 AM

The reason I rank EJSTNS so low on SY's albums is because it is very inconsistent. I end up skipping about half of the tracks. The first 4 tracks are great... but it really sags in the middle. Not to mention that Thurston's lyrics are pretty awful. Kim's songs, for the most part, are really good. But a lot of them sound the same. Also, there are no Lee tracks on the album to balance everything out. Screaming Skull is one of the worst SY tracks ever. Waist and In the Mind of the Bourgeois Reader are both really lame. Tokyo Eye is repetitive and boring. I think Winner's Blues, Bull in the Heather, Starfield Road, and Sweet Shine are all great tracks, but the rest of the albums just isn't very good. I'm also not a big fan of the production... they are trying too hard to sound noisy and I don't like all of the digital effects they use.