Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   anyone going to la villette jazz festival . . . (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=14875)

farmhouse 07.19.2007 07:27 AM

anyone going to la villette jazz festival . . .

. . . specifically for the youth . . . cause i was until a friend of mine backed out . .. . and i don't have any other mates who are into free jazz . . .

should i:

1. go alone
2. not go at all
3. befriend someone of like mind, quick
4. tell bullshit friend he's bullshit and demand he comes (i.e. use force)
5. pretend to be with someone but pretend i lost them (i.e. lie)

any similar dilemmas? how did you deal with it?

sonicl 07.19.2007 07:30 AM

When I went to see SY in Paris a couple of years ago, I went on my own, didn't bother befriending anyone, and had a great time.

But to put your mind at rest, there's at least five other people from the board going. I know this because I'm one of them.

farmhouse 07.19.2007 10:24 AM

does that put my mind at rest?

half the time i'm scared to post on here let alone meet you people!

you sure i won't just get ignored and made to feel inferior?

sonicl 07.19.2007 10:43 AM

Hey, we can't ignore you AND make you feel inferior! :D

No, seriously, I've met two of the other people who I know are going, and feel like I've met the other two we've PM'd so much, and I can say without a doubt that they are all lovely people.

farmhouse 07.19.2007 11:28 AM

cheers mate . . that does put my mind at rest.

if i do the on my own thing then i'm sure i'd want to hook up with you guys at some point . . . i don't wanna crash the party though!

sonicl 07.19.2007 11:35 AM

I'm sure that, nearer the time, there will be a "La Villette roll call" thread, and one of the Parisian boardies will post a recommended place for people to meet up if they want to.

farmhouse 07.19.2007 11:39 AM

sounds good man.

sonicl, you are definately one of the good ones.

sonicl 07.19.2007 11:42 AM

I wouldn't be too sure, I tease kittens sometimes.

farmhouse 07.19.2007 11:44 AM

with what you sick fucker?

sonicl 07.19.2007 11:45 AM

It's best you don't know... you're too young.

farmhouse 07.19.2007 11:52 AM

you show it to it?

sonicl 07.19.2007 11:56 AM

I wish I'd never admitted to teasing kittens. What have I got myself into?

lalie 07.19.2007 12:15 PM

Yes, come to Paris farmhouse, you'll have a nice time!

farmhouse 07.19.2007 12:23 PM

hey, thanks lalie!

are you going to the jazz show aswell?

lalie 07.19.2007 12:25 PM

Yes I am!

farmhouse 07.19.2007 12:30 PM

marvelous! . . . i'm feeling better about this already!

would you mind if i infiltrated your gang? i think i'd feel a bit weird on my own. y'know, no one to share the euphoria with . . .

Bertrand 07.19.2007 04:09 PM

I'll be there too.

I only met one boardie for a Sonic Youth show, and it was quite good - having a common background I never had with any of my regular friends was relaxing.

Plus : if you feel shy and enjoy company, go to the appointment spot unnoticed. Try to spot the posters gathered there. There are pictures of some of them on this board, it should be easy. It's like treasure hunting. Look at their eyes, you'll see they're shy people trying to spot other shy people looking for them. Then simply join in if you like what you see.

racehorse 07.19.2007 05:35 PM

i'm going to be at this show as well.
i think you should go alone and meet up with everyone down there prior to the show. i remember bertrand mentioning that he'd be at a bar called l'horloge on M° Porte de Pantin in the other vilette thread, which is right by the grand halle where SY are playing.

Bertrand 07.20.2007 02:34 AM

right

sonicl 07.20.2007 03:23 AM

How confusing, I thought that Farmhouse was Racehorse. This thread makes a tiny bit more sense now.

farmhouse 07.20.2007 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bertrand
I'll be there too.

I only met one boardie for a Sonic Youth show, and it was quite good - having a common background I never had with any of my regular friends was relaxing.

Plus : if you feel shy and enjoy company, go to the appointment spot unnoticed. Try to spot the posters gathered there. There are pictures of some of them on this board, it should be easy. It's like treasure hunting. Look at their eyes, you'll see they're shy people trying to spot other shy people looking for them. Then simply join in if you like what you see.

yeah, i mean, it's something i've never done . . . but you guys are all making me feel a whole lot easier about the idea . . . and to be honest i'm actually looking forward to this now . . . i wasn't expecting such a positive response!

The loiter, observe, ponder then make a decision tactic sounds like a good'un, bertrand, thanks.

farmhouse 07.20.2007 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racehorse
i'm going to be at this show as well.
i think you should go alone and meet up with everyone down there prior to the show. i remember bertrand mentioning that he'd be at a bar called l'horloge on M° Porte de Pantin in the other vilette thread, which is right by the grand halle where SY are playing.

i certainly might do that, racehorse, if you guys don't mind of course!

oh, and there's another villette thread is there? sorry . . .didn't know that.
i'll get in there and have a look around then.

thanks!

diamondsea 07.22.2007 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bertrand
I'll be there too.

:)

Bertrand you are the king of kindness

Definitely agreed. I can subscribe every word you say.
Never forget the horloge and the gig atmosphere.
I was a stranger in Paris, no one of my friends is interested in fighting to have 2 holiday days for Sonic Youth...
I regret missing the jazz festival,
hope you guys will have a great time and enjoy this special gig

Bal 07.23.2007 03:21 AM

i hope ill be there too!
hope i can book a cheap flight today!

farmhouse 07.25.2007 10:12 AM

cheers for that.
was you there? . . . did they do anything more . . . jazzy?

sonicl 07.25.2007 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Evol
Sonic Youth performing Schizophrenia in 2000 @ Jazz Fest

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN4lfuHuvB8

Is that this show in July 2000? http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang/cc/071000.html
Or the one in May 2000 featuring Brigitte Fontaine? http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang/cc/052500.html

farmhouse 07.25.2007 10:29 AM

on youtube it says the MONTREAUX jazz fest.

i just read the review for that may paris one though, . . . . sounds amazing!!!
did you go to that, sonicl?

sonicl 07.25.2007 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farmhouse
on youtube it says the MONTREAUX jazz fest.

That'll be this one then: 12 July 2000 - Montreux, Switzerland @ Miles Davis Hall

Quote:

i just read the review for that may paris one though, . . . . sounds amazing!!!
did you go to that, sonicl?

Not me, no. I went to this one though: 27 October 2005 - Paris, France @ Cite De La Musique

At first I thought that next month's one was going to be in the same venue, which would have been fantastic (best venue I've ever seen a full SY show in), but sadly not.

Bal 07.25.2007 12:38 PM

OK i booked my flights it seems that im cooooooooomiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnggggggg!
paris :love:

sonicl 07.25.2007 12:40 PM

Woo-hoo! See you in five weeks!

sergisonic 07.25.2007 02:34 PM

Quote:

cheers for that.
was you there? . . . did they do anything more . . . jazzy?

well, they played lightnin', an abstract and free jazzy one...

greenlight 07.25.2007 02:38 PM

so who's going so far (from board)?

ehrmmm, I really hope this will be special one. no RR no DN, just impro. I'd be happiest man see sy doing impro.

sonicl 07.25.2007 02:54 PM

So far as I know:

sonicl
greenlight
bertrand
lalie
whorefrost
farmhouse
racehorse
bal

Bal 07.25.2007 02:58 PM

how big is the venue?
do i need to book tickets for the night well in advance or you think i can buy it there?
i read somewhere that there will be some special quests maybe matts gustafson - cant remember correctly so i might be mistaken .. but i hope theyll end up doing some crazy improv gig.

greenlight 07.25.2007 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicl
So far as I know:

sonicl
greenlight
bertrand
lalie
whorefrost
farmhouse
racehorse
bal

+ I'd expect somebody from the "recording crew". Tris is french, his not much around on the board to confirm it, but I have a feeling he'll be there. well two scources are better than one (just in case, hehe).

sonicl 07.25.2007 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bal
how big is the venue?
do i need to book tickets for the night well in advance or you think i can buy it there?
i read somewhere that there will be some special quests maybe matts gustafson - cant remember correctly so i might be mistaken .. but i hope theyll end up doing some crazy improv gig.

I'm suprised that the show hasn't already sold out, but maybe people are put off by the special guests. I certainly wouldn't want to risk going without a ticket - the official box office is here: Sonic Youth - Wednesday 29 August

The line up is:

Support
Han Bennink - drums
Peter Brötzmann - saxophone
- bass
- drums

Sonic Youth + friends
Thurston Moore - guitar
Kim Gordon - guitar, bass
Lee Ranaldo - guitar
Steve Shelley - drums
Mats Gustafsson - saxophone
Jean-Marc Montera - guitar
Michel Doneda - saxophone

racehorse 07.25.2007 06:38 PM

reading that lineup, sonicl, has got me really excited about it...
i didn't realise mats, montera and doneda would actually be joining SY on stage.
wow.

farmhouse 07.26.2007 05:42 AM

hi there all . .. i'm gonna go ahead and get a ticket for this because i don't wanna miss the boat . . . . and talking of boats . . . who will be travelling via the dover port . . . and could travel costs be cut or shared by car travel etc . . . i am undecided whether to take my car or not . . but i'd be more than happy to offer a lift for some fuel cash if anyone wants to do that .. .

i'd totally understand if this was met with utter silence.

sonicl 07.26.2007 05:55 AM

I've booked to go by Eurostar, £58 return.

farmhouse 07.26.2007 06:39 AM

interesting. . .. . i'm thinking i might do the boat then train from calais . . which is the way i have travelled to paris before a few times. if i'm on my own i think this will be a more enjoyable way of going about it.

say, dyou have accomodation arranged? . .. know of any hostels in the vacinity????