Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   shitty sonic youth shows? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=22877)

atsonicpark 06.24.2008 12:33 AM

shitty sonic youth shows?

My friend Norton LOVES Sonic Youth, he got me into them by burning me confusion is sex about 8 years ago... I mean, seriously, that's his favorite album of all time.. and he went and saw them once and was like, "Eh, they were really shit. I still love them though." Always made me wonder...

Have you ever seen the band live and thought they sucked ass?

Everyneurotic 06.24.2008 12:42 AM

loads of people said they sucked last time they visited here, mostly because the sound sucked and they played most of rather ripped.

i thought they played the shit out of the shitty rr songs and actually played them the write way, but o well, i did watch the show from the soundboard on the side of the stage.

Dead-Air 06.24.2008 12:46 AM

I've seen the close to 30 times since 1985 and a couple times they were just good (what comes immediately to mind was the tour opening for R.E.M. and their set was just too short, but I saw Thurston do a thirty minute "Elegy For All the Dead Rock Stars" that morning in a record store in Elensburg, so I hardly had anything to complain about!) Otherwise, they have always been fucking incredible and life affirming and really one of the only reasons I continue to give a fuck about rock music at all. Just thinking about it gets me desperately hoping they will come through town again sometime soon...

Cantankerous 06.24.2008 12:49 AM

i saw them about two years ago
i would only say it was shit because they played mostly all of rather ripped. the sound was fine and they played fine. i don't remember the last time i saw them, not too recently but i've seen them at least 5 or 6 times so i probably won't ever again unless their new album (???) is really good.

however the performance of sugar kane on jools holland (i think?) is AWFUL.

viewtiful_alan 06.24.2008 12:58 AM

The Rather Ripped songs are great live.
Very fun. Lay off Rather Ripped. XD. Maybve I just like the album because I got a free copy of it from Lee...

Cantankerous 06.24.2008 01:03 AM

i would love it. if it wasn't terrible.

viewtiful_alan 06.24.2008 01:11 AM

How is it 'terrible'
I honestly think ya'll just don't like it.
Poison is terrible. Air Supply is terrible.
There is a dfference between things we dislike, and things that are just fucking bad.

Cantankerous 06.24.2008 01:11 AM

poison is 10x better than rather ripped

Everyneurotic 06.24.2008 01:17 AM

word.

"talk dirty to me" > "do you believe in rapture"

viewtiful_alan 06.24.2008 01:18 AM

Both of ya'll are now on my shit list. >(

acousticrock87 06.24.2008 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cantankerous
poison is 10x better than rather ripped

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
word.

"talk dirty to me" > "do you believe in rapture"

Oh, what the fuck? Too far, guys.

Everyneurotic 06.24.2008 01:19 AM

said the mudhoney fan.

don't know about cantanky but i love "talk dirty to me" a whole lot more than any song in rather ripped.

at least it's more fun than the whole album.

atsonicpark 06.24.2008 01:20 AM

i think 80% of sonic youth fans would agree it sucks. because.. uh.. it does.

Cantankerous 06.24.2008 01:20 AM

i would rather listen to a poison album in its entirety or drink actual poison (old school shakespeare style) than listen to anything from rather ripped.

viewtiful_alan 06.24.2008 01:21 AM

Quote:

said the mudhoney fan.

don't know about cantanky but i love "talk dirty to me" a whole lot more than any song in rather ripped.

at least it's more fun than the whole album.

a mediocore song by a shit band

viewtiful_alan 06.24.2008 01:22 AM

Quote:

i would rather listen to a poison album in its entirety or drink actual poison (old school shakespeare style) than listen to anything from rather ripped.

I really hope people reacted like this NYC ghosts and flowers also... because that was almost a self parody.

Everyneurotic 06.24.2008 01:23 AM

don't call sonic youth shitty!!!!

and nycg&f, at least live, is fantastic; not some rushed half assed barely sung pop songs like rather ripped.

viewtiful_alan 06.24.2008 01:25 AM

Quote:

don't call sonic youth shitty!!!!

and nycg&f, at least live, is fantastic; not some rushed half assed barely sung pop songs like rather ripped.

I was referring to poison. Who are fucking god awful.

Cantankerous 06.24.2008 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viewtiful_alan
I was referring to poison. Who are fucking god awful.

clearly you missed the joke.

acousticrock87 06.24.2008 01:27 AM

NYC Ghosts and Flowers is my favorite SY CD.

Except SonicXStreamXXXSideXXxxwayXXwhateverthefuckit'scal led.

viewtiful_alan 06.24.2008 01:30 AM

Quote:

clearly you missed the joke.

clearly I'm still missing it.

Dead-Air 06.24.2008 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
i think 80% of sonic youth fans would agree it sucks. because.. uh.. it does.

That's been proven wrong again and again in all of these constant threads where it comes up.

About 25% are very, very, vocally against it and hating it, who also happen to be people who post on the board frequently (but who often define themselves as NOT core Sonic Youth fans).

20% say they like it a lot, and they are usually young people who don't post very often and don't post on the rest of the board.

Then most of the rest, represented by both categories of frequent and infrequent posters say they either like some of it (which is oddly very different songs from person to person) or like it all but not as much as most Sonic Youth albums.

Pesonally, I love "Or", like "Pink Steam" as much as many Sonic Youth songs, am o.k. with most of the rest but a bit let down, and overall think it's a substandard SY album and a slightly better than average rock album in the grand scheme of things. Nurse was ten times better, but I don't think it represents them going down hill as I love Washing Machine much more than EJST&NS and thus believe they can bounce back from a so so album with a great one.

acousticrock87 06.24.2008 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dead-Air
Pesonally, I love "Or", like "Pink Steam" as much as many Sonic Youth songs, am o.k. with most of the rest but a bit let down, and overall think it's a substand SY album and a slightly better than average rock album in the grand scheme of things.

That's almost exactly how I feel. I also think "Sleeping Around" is a pretty good song, and "Rats" in moderation.

viewtiful_alan 06.24.2008 01:35 AM

Rather Ripped was the first sonic youth album I ever listened to, and it was given to me by Lee who ran out to the bus during a show at warehouse in houston, that I couldn't get into because it was sold out so I sat outside for several hours at night in the heat, so he felt bad for me and gave me the cd and chatted for about a minute.
So maybe it has senimental value for me, but I don't know I enjoy that album. and would give it a 4/5

acousticrock87 06.24.2008 01:37 AM

Quote:

Rather Ripped was the first sonic youth album I ever listened to, and it was given to me by Lee who ran out to the bus during a show at warehouse in houston, that I couldn't get into because it was sold out so I sat outside for several hours at night in the heat, so he felt bad for me and gave me the cd and chatted for about a minute.
So maybe it has senimental value for me, but I don't know I enjoy that album. and would give it a 4/5

You were sitting outside a show for hours when you've never heard them?

Either way, that's an awesome story. I can understand liking the CD that much, in that case.

viewtiful_alan 06.24.2008 01:40 AM

I had heard great things about them, and was staying with a relative who lived near there.

But yeah, they went out to dinner and wouldn't come get me til they were done, so I was just stuck there. But it was so fucking worth it.

And Lee has to be the nicest musician I've ever encountered.

atsonicpark 06.24.2008 02:11 AM

okay then!

viewtiful_alan 06.24.2008 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
okay then!

Que?

uhler 06.24.2008 02:13 AM

rather ripped is decent

✌➬ 06.24.2008 02:14 AM

Well Rather Ripped is okay. Just pop music.

viewtiful_alan 06.24.2008 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uhler
rather ripped is decent

Thank you.

viewtiful_alan 06.24.2008 02:15 AM

Ok so there are some rational people in this thread XD

_slavo_ 06.24.2008 02:20 AM

Quote:

Ok so there are some rational people in this thread XD

Daycare Nation's new incarnation?

viewtiful_alan 06.24.2008 02:21 AM

Que? Insult? I wasn't familiar with them.

✌➬ 06.24.2008 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _slavo_
Daycare Nation's new incarnation?

Repp'd.

uhler 06.24.2008 02:29 AM

i can see why people would hate the album though. compared to all the rest of their output (aside from dirty) it's their worst album.

✌➬ 06.24.2008 02:30 AM

Dirty is one of their best albums from the 90's.

viewtiful_alan 06.24.2008 02:35 AM

NYC Ghosts and flowers sucked pretty much.
I was really dissapointed by it. Some of the guitars were cool, but overall the album just didn't feel very.. impassioned?

nicfit 06.24.2008 02:37 AM

Quote:

NYC Ghosts and flowers sucked pretty much.
I was really dissapointed by it.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

atsonicpark 06.24.2008 02:40 AM

yeeeeeeeeah... nyc is great...