Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Could Steve Shelley Be the Funniest Member of Sonic Youth? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=49281)

cagedbird 04.15.2011 01:04 PM

Could Steve Shelley Be the Funniest Member of Sonic Youth?

We will never know. Same thing with Bunny Wailer vis a vis Bob Marley. He must have a wicked sense of humor. I know he is into Rushmore. What Do U think?

deflinus 04.15.2011 01:05 PM

i know he's the nicest. tied with Lee

SonicBebs 04.15.2011 01:06 PM

he's by far the Coolest

SonicBebs 04.15.2011 01:07 PM

he did tell me a funny joke once

knock knock
who's there?
i dunnup
i dunnup who?
errrr, you done a poo!

he's a funny guy

EVOLghost 04.15.2011 01:11 PM

^ did he really tell you that joke?

SonicBebs 04.15.2011 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EVOLghost
^ did he really tell you that joke?

no. sorry

jennthebenn 04.15.2011 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deflinus
i know he's the nicest. tied with Lee

Quoted for veracity.

hirsute_biped 04.15.2011 03:42 PM

steve seems more clark kent/superman, mild-mannered quiet dude who turns into a monster drummer

jennthebenn 04.15.2011 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nefeli
wasnt it steve that got 'shot' in kill your idols?
i think that must have marked him; traumatized him if you like and surely played major role in his band persona. i think.

"He's on fire!" It was "Put Blood In the Music." :cool:

Genteel Death 04.15.2011 03:50 PM

Anyone who used to play drums in The Crucifucks is a fine human being in my book.

jennthebenn 04.15.2011 03:51 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45_Xh8dUX1U

Derek 04.15.2011 04:01 PM

Ray Farrell Rumor has it that Yow will be the lead singer of a reformed Nirvana. with anyone else I would be dismissive. Yow is amazing. 3 hours ago ·

Steve Shelley WTF? 30 minutes ago.

Genteel Death 04.15.2011 04:08 PM

Maureen Tucker to Steve Shelley on Facebook right now : ''Hi Steve!!''
I have asked her a few weeks ago about SY's involvement in her album ''Life in Exile After Abdication'' and she answered that she needed a drummer and he offered to help and brought the rest of SY with him to the studio.

EVOLghost 04.15.2011 04:16 PM

Speaking of Shelley's facebook, I posted a vid on SY(on my facebook) in chicago(1 of 2 shows) and it happened to be the one where he is a little behind the band on drums but he recovers quickly and not really noticeable. it's kind of funnny and I wanted to "tag" him in the vid and ask him....but I"m too shy and he probably wouldn't answer anyways.

RanaldoNecro 04.15.2011 04:29 PM

Thurston is a pretty funny guy from vids i have seen. Actually very funny

Genteel Death 04.15.2011 04:30 PM

Quote:

Speaking of Shelley's facebook, I posted a vid on SY(on my facebook) in chicago(1 of 2 shows) and it happened to be the one where he is a little behind the band on drums but he recovers quickly and not really noticeable. it's kind of funnny and I wanted to "tag" him in the vid and ask him....but I"m too shy and he probably wouldn't answer anyways.

He very kindly replied to me when I enquired about something to do with The Crucifucks.

atsonicpark 04.15.2011 07:57 PM

CRUCIFUCKS are so so so so amazing. Lovely band.

DaveCromwell 04.24.2011 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennthebenn

Lol!

Never saw that before.

Brilliant

;)

chrome noise tape 04.24.2011 04:52 PM

DaveCromwell 04.24.2011 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrome noise tape

Ha, ha.

Great pic.

What's the story behind that one?

:)

chrome noise tape 04.24.2011 05:28 PM

well check uncyclopedia for sonic youth

pantophobia 04.24.2011 06:20 PM

that was at amoeba records? at the beginning of the 2002 tour, all members did a thing for the appearance, here steve was on thurston's shoulders while moon pies were thrown at him holding T's guitar

Adolfo 04.24.2011 06:23 PM

"There, on the spot where Thurston and Kim found Lee, a legend was born. A legend that is more legendary than most other legends. A legend that will last a lifetime. And another damn album of nothing but feedback."

jennthebenn 04.24.2011 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pantophobia
that was at amoeba records? at the beginning of the 2002 tour, all members did a thing for the appearance, here steve was on thurston's shoulders while moon pies were thrown at him holding T's guitar

Waterloo Records in Texas.

DaveCromwell 04.24.2011 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennthebenn
Waterloo Records in Texas.

Jenn is the only SY encyclopedia I need

;)

hirsute_biped 04.25.2011 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveCromwell
Ha, ha.

Great pic.

What's the story behind that one?

:)

Thats what band practice usually devolves into...

pad_023 04.25.2011 05:03 AM

Probably, he posts some great links on facebook.

EVOLghost 04.29.2011 03:28 PM

Cover up? PLease, chicks dig the geeky look. Especially the freaky ones.

Derek 04.29.2011 04:16 PM

Quote:

Cover up? PLease, chicks dig the geeky look. Especially the freaky ones.

I know this from first hand experience.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 04.29.2011 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cagedbird
We will never know. Same thing with Bunny Wailer vis a vis Bob Marley. He must have a wicked sense of humor. I know he is into Rushmore. What Do U think?

Simple answer, no, but in truth he is most definitely the most sincere and friendly of them all, though Lee is also very chill. And in regards to Jah B (Bunny), he was most definitely the funny one, Peter was the serious one, and Bob was the charmer. In regards to Sonic Youth, I'd say that Steve then is Peter, Thurston is Bunny, and Lee is Bob, and Jim (come back Jim, we miss ya), Jim is Joe Higgs ;)

Dead-Air 04.30.2011 01:11 AM

I think Thurston is the funniest. When he played with Jandek in Portland, he casually went up to somebody in the front row before the show and asked if the seat next to him was taken.

I agree that Steve is the nicest and most sincere, to the point, I don't think he can be as funny. He's incredibly approachable and seems to always have time for people into his music or even other people's music that he also enjoys.

cagedbird 04.30.2011 03:06 PM

I have a feeling Steve could be the funniest. Just a whim. Of course, other members are more outspoken but that doesn't mean they are wittier. I suspect Steve's tour journals (if he were to write them) wld be pur comedy gold.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 04.30.2011 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dead-Air

I agree that Steve is the nicest and most sincere, to the point, I don't think he can be as funny. He's incredibly approachable and seems to always have time for people into his music or even other people's music that he also enjoys.

exactly. He doesn't have that "i'm in the band" attitude problem at all. I've have several delightful conversations with Steve. Once when I compared Sonic Youth the Dead (and their free shows at the Fillmore East) for throwing the SY community oriented "Filter Anniversary" gig he then brought me over to Lee to talk about the Dead because he insisted Lee as the SY resident deadhead. When I asked Lee about if he was in fact the SY deadhead he responded coyly, " Sure, I might be from time to time."

Another time Steve spent twenty minutes chatting it up about music with me behind the free show at the Santa Monica promenade in 2006 (??). We tried to talk him into getting us in on the list but he was way to sincere telling us, "dudes I really would but then some folks already on the list might get bumped and they've already been working hard. but good luck on storming the gate."

me and my friend did somehow manage to talk the lone chick momentarily guarding the back door with the clip board that we were some random names we had seen on that list, hesitantly she let us in and we managed to stay there by the stage for three songs until the dickhead manager of that store who had kicked us out for trying to sneak in the front door without a wristband (where we also succeeded by the way ;) ) recognized us and again gave us the boot. When we saw Steve coming out after the show he flagged us down and asked us, "Did y'all manage to sneak in?" We said yeah but then that dickhead manager kicked us (we were still grinning ear to ear though rather than being stoic about it) and to that he gave a high five and was out.

much love Steve, you're the shit.

Dead-Air 05.01.2011 12:32 AM

Steve would have been bummed if he'd found out you did it by using the names of people who were really on the list for the very reason he gave you in advance. And he'd probably have appreciated the manager kicking you out for it too, since you were stealing from people the band appreciated and wanted on the list. Harsh toke dude.

SonicBebs 05.01.2011 04:25 PM

Steve is fucking incredible

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 05.01.2011 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dead-Air
Steve would have been bummed if he'd found out you did it by using the names of people who were really on the list for the very reason he gave you in advance. And he'd probably have appreciated the manager kicking you out for it too, since you were stealing from people the band appreciated and wanted on the list. Harsh toke dude.

dude, I was there and you weren't, not only did he wish us good luck at sneaking in, he applauded our temporary success. Is it lonely up there on that high horse or are there other haughty pricks feeling vindictively self-righteous to the point of loathing up there?

When you come down to reality you can have a good laugh, haven't you ever been a promoter before? The list ALWAYS has DOZENS of people who have absolutely NO INTENTIONS of showing up on it, and further, that chick didn't cross any names off, nor would she have, and if push came to shove and the real names showed up, their IDs would have EASILY gotten them inside regardless of my own antics, or have you never actually even BEEN to a show before?

"haterz wanna hate, loverz wanna love, I don't even want, none of the above, I wanna piss on you yes I do.."

Dead-Air 05.01.2011 06:58 PM

As long as we're talking about high horses, just wondering, has anybody ever pointed out anything you've ever done wrong to you that you owned up to?