Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   The Year Punk Broke DVD (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=25615)

Moshe 09.16.2008 12:26 AM

The Year Punk Broke DVD

Q&A yesterday a the BK book fest:

"I prefer VHS myself," said Thurston Moore when I told him I have a 15-year-old video tape copy of 1991: The Year That Punk Broke, a tour documentary featuring Sonic Youth, Nirvana and Dinosaur, Jr., amongst many other groundbreaking indie rock acts of the day, completely intact. Moore was about to take the stage with Ian MacKaye, of Minor Threat and Fugazi fame, for a discussion about punk and publishing at yesterday’s Brooklyn Book Festival. I wanted to know if the DVD version would ever see the light of day.
"There's sort of proprietary issues because of all the Nirvana stuff in it and all that stuff is under control of whoever control's Kurt [Cobain's] estate—That Which Will Not Be Named is how we refer to it—and we don't really want to release it until we can release it with all the extra footage. There's a whole second film and it's a whole other 90 minutes; a completely different cut of all the footage. And it's even crazier! It has amazing stuff in it. So until we can do that we're not going to do it—it might be a while," he said.

SYRFox 09.16.2008 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moshe
That Which Will Not Be Named is how we refer to it

Hahaha

Anyway -> good and bad news at the same time... it's sad to hear that it won't be rereleased anytime soon, but it's nice to hear that there's gonna be a "whole second film"

✌➬ 09.16.2008 12:37 AM

Ugh, damn Courtney Love.

repeater 09.16.2008 01:55 AM

that "whole second film", that would be "this is known as the blues scale" I guess.
Ths DVD is so loooong overdue. I think I´ve seen this movie more than Star Wars hehe

Chris Lawrence 09.16.2008 02:02 AM

i say "fuck opening bands, show 'blues scale' before every sonic youth performance until enough people film it from cell phone cams that it can be pieced together online in near perfect quality". that's what i say.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 09.16.2008 02:32 AM

not a bad idea

atsonicpark 09.16.2008 02:43 AM

Wow, Thurston.. I like vhs better myself.

GrungeMonkey 09.16.2008 03:40 AM

im sorry, i can understand why someone would prefer vinyl to cds, but DVDs are way better than VHS in every way.

Pookie 09.16.2008 04:04 AM

I'm happy with my VHS copy.

Not that I won't be buying the DVD when/if it appears.

pbradley 09.16.2008 04:13 AM

The extra content sounds very appealing.

mil_pl 09.16.2008 04:40 AM

but it will take ages, or forever. because of nirvana footage..
so i'm not waitin' for this. I'll be glad when Thurston will say,
that they will realese live DVD from 2002-2007, something
from that years. from ddn tour!

atsonicpark 09.16.2008 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrungeMonkey
im sorry, i can understand why someone would prefer vinyl to cds, but DVDs are way better than VHS in every way.

Some films -- specifically the ones I watch -- lose a lot of their atmosphere in the DVD transfer. DVD's are a static image... they have no character.

I like DVD's... but really I could live without commentaries and extra content.. and while they're technically better, I feel more of a relationship with VHS tapes. Either way though, as long as I watch the movie, that's fine.

By the way, I own 630 VHS tapes and 180 DVD's.

Dead-Air 09.16.2008 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrungeMonkey

It's weird, betamax is pretty much the 8 track tape of video (higher quality but clunky format and thus premature death), while vhs are definitely the equivalent of cassettes and dvds are cds, but there never was vinyl for video.

There are non-consumerist things you can do with vhs that you can't with dvds, such as record over random sections on the fly. And the audio is analog, which you cannot get from a dvd, so there is that whole argument too. In the long run any argument for vhs over dvd is going to be pretty fetishist, but then that's not a surprising place to find Thurston.

atsonicpark 09.16.2008 05:35 AM

Right. I mean, DVD is better, obviously. I just prefer to watch a movie on VHS if I can.

There's just something romantic about VHS.

pbradley 09.16.2008 05:46 AM

I try not to have personal relationships with inanimate objects.

It helps when I need to sell shit in order to move.

GrungeMonkey 09.16.2008 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbradley
I try not to have personal relationships with inanimate objects.

thats not what i heard

Moshe 09.16.2008 06:08 AM

Not to worry though, said Moore. In true punk fashion, he added, "I'm trying to figure out ways of bootlegging it."!!!

repeater 09.16.2008 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moshe
Not to worry though, said Moore. In true punk fashion, he added, "I'm trying to figure out ways of bootlegging it."!!!

Woohoo

noisereductions 09.16.2008 07:10 AM

Damn. I was hoping a thread started by Moshe about 1991 would be like "official release date: next week."

Cantankerous 09.16.2008 07:19 AM

"that which will not be named"

i laughed. we all know who that is.

atsonicpark 09.16.2008 07:24 AM

I hope it's actually Kathleen Hannah or something!

Courtney Love gets kicked around enough. Sure she's a bitch but there's a lot of bitches out there.

pbradley 09.16.2008 07:27 AM

Michael Jackson bought the rights.

MellySingsDoom 09.16.2008 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbradley
Michael Jackson bought the rights.

And he'll sub-license those rights to Jerry Bruckenheimer. Mister Schlockenheiner will then remake this doc as a big Hollywood production, with the following people as the Yoof:

Viggo Mortenson: Thurston Moore
Scarlet Johanssen: Kim Gordon
Nicholas "I'm In Everything" Cage: Lee Ranaldo
Benicio del Toro: Steve Shelley

atsonicpark 09.16.2008 07:40 AM

Robert DeNiro (circa Taxi Driver) should be Lee Renaldo.

Cantankerous 09.16.2008 07:44 AM

al pacino should be lee.

atsonicpark 09.16.2008 07:46 AM

Actually, maybe robert deniro should be steve.. look at this hair!:

Cantankerous 09.16.2008 07:47 AM

that does look like lee! you were right, deniro should be lee.

atsonicpark 09.16.2008 07:51 AM

How about deniro plays thurston and lee and steve. And Kim.

radarmaker 09.16.2008 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dead-Air
It's weird, betamax is pretty much the 8 track tape of video (higher quality but clunky format and thus premature death), while vhs are definitely the equivalent of cassettes and dvds are cds, but there never was vinyl for video.

Laserdisc? Right size at least ;)

GrungeMonkey 09.16.2008 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
How about deniro plays thurston and lee and steve. And Kim.

that would be some badass method acting preparing for that role...

This Is Not Here 09.16.2008 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
There's just something romantic about VHS.

HA HA HA!

What exactly?!!

SonikJesus 09.16.2008 08:57 PM

Fuck DVD. When's it coming out on Blu-ray?

atsonicpark 09.17.2008 02:25 AM

Blu... ray...?

I'm just kidding.

skipvacuum 09.17.2008 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radarmaker
Laserdisc? Right size at least ;)

yeah i actually just bought it on laserdisc...it's funny you mention it's the right size,cuz someone took a pic of me where it was in the background..someone they showed it to,asked how i got a copy on vinyl

RdTv 09.17.2008 07:52 PM

The combination of Thurston's comment on VHS and the movie "Be Kind Rewind'' will spark a massive and intense anti-DVD movement. Don't scoff, you'll see......soon VHS will be the hipster's next ''messenger bag''.

jon boy 09.17.2008 11:27 PM

basically i will not be able to see this film until i am thurstons age now.

i too have a 15 year old vhs copy, actually two of them.

acdc518 09.17.2008 11:41 PM

well you know, Courtney Love could OD on crack any second

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 09.18.2008 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MellySingsDoom
And he'll sub-license those rights to Jerry Bruckenheimer. Mister Schlockenheiner will then remake this doc as a big Hollywood production, with the following people as the Yoof:

Viggo Mortenson: Thurston Moore
Scarlet Johanssen: Kim Gordon
Nicholas "I'm In Everything" Cage: Lee Ranaldo
Benicio del Toro: Steve Shelley

You realize Viggo Mortensen is really really short?

adjectives-ex 09.19.2008 12:40 PM

when will Francis Bean takeover all that stuff? do you think that she is less of a jerk then her mom?

I have see 1991 more than i care to admit (but not here- probably close to 50 times), but i could stand to watch it a bunch more until this comes out. good thing for them and Markey- made a good product the first time.

s.

al shabbray 09.19.2008 02:52 PM

they should let it just leak, like a sex tape or something.
I wanna see this bonus stuff gaddamnit