Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Am I the only one... (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=1813)

alyasa 05.12.2006 09:48 PM

Am I the only one...

Or is Sonic Nurse more than just a bit countryish? I mean it's just my opinion, wondering if anyone else shares it. The consensus here seems to be favourable for Nurse, so maybe it's just me; or maybe people like country music. I mean comparing Sister to Sonic Nurse, you get this mellow, droning rock vibe on Sister, wherehas Sonic Nurse has this almost 'rockabilly' feel, especially on New Hampshire and Pattern Recognition. I mean, I like Sonic Nurse; but I was wondering if anyone noticed this. Or; maybe; this was intended. :) Thank you for reading.

HaydenAsche 05.12.2006 10:08 PM

Yeah, probably.

alyasa 05.13.2006 03:22 AM

Is that good?

terminal pharmacy 05.13.2006 04:33 AM

make up your own mind about that, take what you like from the album that is what interpretation is all about....

alyasa 05.13.2006 07:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes, I realise interpretation is the formation of one's indiviual opnion regarding a subject matter. But there is always a certain thematic approach to Sonic Youth's albums, if not lyrically, then sonically, a backdrop if you will, a canvas onto which SY paint their aural textures and moods. I just wonder if anyone notices the almost cowboyish nature of Nurse, and whether this implication is a realised conception or a minor thread. I guess I'm just rambling, I don't know shit about cowboys anyway, and what little I know wouldn't stand up in a serious discussion about said subject matter. Thank you for letting me use this forum space for my Sonic Life Ramblings. :o And I may have been a little too late for any discussion of Sonic Nurse.

Alex's Trip 05.13.2006 07:23 AM

The only country feel I get from the album would be the title, Dude Ranch Nurse.

alyasa 05.13.2006 07:51 AM

Maybe it's just me... but then again; I get a slightly New York City, Big Apple, sophisticate mood from Murray Street.

Dude Ranch Nurse is so overtly country, it's ironically un-country. It's a postmodernmockhomage of country, even. Actually, the opening riff of Pattern Recognition is, to me, a bit like something someone from Memphis would play. The state, not the band.

jim delicio 05.13.2006 09:28 AM

yes

[quote=alyasa]Or is Sonic Nurse more than just a bit countryish? I mean it's just my opinion, wondering if anyone else shares it. The consensus here seems to be favourable for Nurse, so maybe it's just me; or maybe people like country music. I mean comparing Sister to Sonic Nurse, you get this mellow, droning rock vibe on Sister, wherehas Sonic Nurse has this almost 'rockabilly' feel, especially on New Hampshire and Pattern Recognition. I mean, I like Sonic Nurse; but I was wondering if anyone noticed this. Or; maybe; this was intended. :) Thank you for reading.[im riff on the 3rd tracks has something contryish i think.../quote]

alyasa 05.13.2006 09:38 AM

sorry, im riff on the 3rd tracks?

RIPfrey05 05.13.2006 03:02 PM

Ruh tardud