Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Album Thread: Coming Apart by Body/Head (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=109887)

dasx 09.08.2014 01:51 AM

Album Thread: Coming Apart by Body/Head

Last week I finally bought Body/Head's Coming Apart double vinyl, mainly because I found it 40 % discount price in local record store's closure sale. On Saturday I had chance to listen to it without being interrupted and I have to admit I was surprised how good it sounded! I didn't have very high expectations, maybe 'cause Kim Gordon's gig with Ikue Mori about 2-3 years ago was totally boring.

The only thing I miss is that there should be little more beat, drums or drum machine etc. Yes there's some percussion for example in "Last Mistress" but more would be better. Nevertheless I take back my bad words and join in group of SY fans who also like Coming Apart.

I don't think I can listen to this album very often, 'cause my wife don't like Kim Gordon's voice and kids want more rhythmic music, but it has a place in my record collection.

(I tried to find a thread of this album but couldn't find it, so I apologize if there already was a thread about Coming Apart).)

ann ashtray 09.08.2014 02:44 AM

It was a lot better than I assumed it would be and I assumed it wouldn't be too great at all. Still, it's nothing especailly awesome. My favorite part about it, oddly enough, is the sleeve. I love the black with the red interior. Reminded me of an old super sleek n sexy muscle car.

Mortte Jousimo 09.08.2014 03:20 AM

I really loved Kim & Ikue`s gig two years ago, but in the same time didnīt like at all the pieces from Body/Head I have watched from YouTube (they were also in same autumn in Helsinki, I didnīt go there). So naturally I had big doubts about coming apart when heard it was coming. But because it came through Matador, I thought it might have more arrangements than the live-clips I have watched. I listened Actress from Matador sites & immediately decided to order the album. IMO itīs one of the best works outside SY! And I donīt need any more beat to the album, I really have started to love also other music that hasnīt got so much rhythm-elements. Of course I still love music that has strange complex rhythms (for example Tom Waits, Beefheart and also prog-rock).

Rob Instigator 09.08.2014 08:49 AM

I bought Body/Head, the latest T Moore, and the latest Lee Ranaldo all within a week of each other. The Moore one was so boring. The Lee one I found generic. The Body/Head one is the best one I think, although it is the only one that tries to be an Art piece. The Lee one I may get into when I am an old man.

The sleeve design is fucking amazing though on the BodyHead BEAUTIFUL

jetengine 09.08.2014 12:45 PM

The self-titled EP is the catchiest thing I've heard yet from Body/Head....