Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Electric Factory poster (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=32576)

Moshe 07.01.2009 05:22 AM

Electric Factory poster

Bal 07.01.2009 05:23 AM

wooooot
this looks superb!

Moshe 07.01.2009 05:33 AM

it does!

arepeatingloop 07.01.2009 08:08 AM

heads of state always do great posters.

notyourfiend 07.01.2009 11:24 AM

oh, that's neat. i'm going to be at that show...anybody else? i've never been to the electric factory (or to a show in philli for that matter...) and I was wondering if anybody could tell me what the venue is like.

deflinus 07.01.2009 12:26 PM

seeing shows in philly is fun. i'm going to this show. i've never been to the venue i don't think. it seems like a small intimate place, which i like a lot. i'm not looking forward to driving there.. ugh

anyone else going?

notyourfiend 07.01.2009 02:03 PM

yes, i will be there with my partner. exciting! i will also be driving (which i'm not looking foward to either). yeah, i chose to go to the show in philli rather than new york city (where im currently residing) because it seemed like a more intimate venue. i've enjoyed their shows better when their have been less people in the audience (although river to river last year was a dream come true). plus the tickets were almost $20 cheeper...

does anybody know anything about the parking situation?

see you there? i'll be a short curly haired girl with a video camera up front.

deflinus 07.01.2009 02:27 PM

yeah the tickets were way cheaper. i'm going to the new york show too. two sonic youth shows back to back. so i'm pretty psyched. they have parking garages around the area, if you don't mind paying the extra cash. they have them all over the area

ill be the spanish guy with the black hair hanging in the back, ha

canvasseamonkey 07.01.2009 02:44 PM

Electric Factory Info.

I've been to the venue a few times, its pretty small (large rectangular with a high ceiling). you can definitely work your way to the front before the take the stage though. Crowds seem to float in last minute.

There is an upstairs L-shaped bar above the main room that gives a good view.

Parking. I have parked in the lot at the building (if you get there at like 3pm the gates will be open but you wont have to pay. haha) There are other lots around the block that the guards direct you to when the lot gets full

forgot to mention, south street is like a 20 minute walk away so you can get a few beers and a cheesesteak

deflinus 07.01.2009 02:50 PM

thanks for the info, man!

canvasseamonkey 07.01.2009 03:03 PM

np guys. any more questions i will try to field them
see you there ladies and germs

SuperCreep 07.01.2009 03:04 PM

I'm going to be there as well. Anyone know what time SY should go on with Kurt Vile and Entrance Band opening? I'm relying on shitty public transit since I'm not going to have a car tomorrow. I hope I don't have to play "beat the clock" going back.

Moshe 07.01.2009 03:32 PM

kurt vile 8:30
entrance band 9:30
sonic youth 10:20

SuperCreep 07.01.2009 03:37 PM

sheeot. going to have to figure out something else then.

thanks, Moshe!

notyourfiend 07.01.2009 03:38 PM

Awesome. I'll be sure to get there on time just to ensure that I can sneak my way to the very front and hopefully get to have Thurston crowd surf against me during a noise interlude as he did during my first Sonic show.

I really, really, really wanted to get tickets for the New York show but I'm dirt poor living off of meager AmeriCorps wages (hooray for food stamps?!) These tickets are technically my college graduation gift from the 'rents (although neither of them are really sure why I wanted to see a band I've seen so many times before instead of, say, having a nice dinner.) I entered a couple of raffles to get free Friday tickets though so hopefully I too will be there both nights.

See ya!

drrrtyboots 07.01.2009 09:17 PM

I'll be going, very excited. I'm really psyched that Kurt Vile got added, he's pretty fantastic.

Deniedwings 07.02.2009 08:33 AM

I really hope it doesnt sell out..I dont have a ticket yet but I'm hoping I can get one at the door

barnaclelapse 07.02.2009 09:51 AM

Ooooo...pretty.

Wish I could go.

writergeek313 07.02.2009 01:22 PM

I'm coming down from central PA for the show tonight. How early are people planning to line up?

I'll be the tall woman with glasses in a black Ecstatic Peace t-shirt, probably on Lee's side.

joe11121 07.02.2009 03:04 PM

It looks like it'd be a great show, have a great time tonight those of you who are attending.

EVOLghost 07.02.2009 04:32 PM

my favorite poster....one of 'em at least....so effin' awesome.

malefactor 07.03.2009 02:35 PM

so, how was the philly show? setlist anyone?

luckynumber9 07.03.2009 02:44 PM

I can't remember the exact order of the songs, but they started with Catholic Block, then did all the songs from the Eternal except for Thunderclap, then Death Valley '69 (!). First encore was The Sprawl and 'Cross the Breeze, and second encore was Thunderclap and Silver Rocket.

Insignificant 07.03.2009 03:03 PM

First Sonic Youth show, for me and the people I was with. Effing spectacular experience.

The audience reaction to the freakout at the middle of "Silver Rocket" was perfect, and in a roundabout way extremely funny. "Massage the History" was also a somewhat bizarre experience, in that I felt like I was being tossed headlong into a '60s spy flick...

I really liked the Entrance Band; Kurt Vile, however, did not impress me.

luckynumber9 07.03.2009 03:33 PM

Catholic Block
Sacred Trickster
What We Know
Calming the Snake
No Way
Antenna
Leaky Lifeboat
Malibu Gas Station
Poison Arrow
Anti-Orgasm
Walkin Blue
Massage the History
Death Valley '69

The Sprawl
'Cross the Breeze

Thunderclap
Silver Rocket

deflinus 07.03.2009 03:37 PM

show was pretty awesome. kurt vile was kind of a letdown. though i liked the last song he did. the entrance band were really tight. i liked them. i loved the way the bassist chick danced and moved, it was pretty seductive and mysterious

sonik tooth rocked. my favorite part was definitely when they played Leaky Lifeboat. i KNEW that song was going to be insane EXTREMELY LOUD. and it fucking rocked. though i was disappointed they didn't end Cross The Breeze the way it originally ended in the album (with the feedback)

overall, good show. number 4 for me. took a friend who has never heard the band, and he was impressed

notyourfiend 07.03.2009 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luckynumber9
Catholic Block
Sacred Trickster
What We Know
Calming the Snake
No Way
Antenna
Leaky Lifeboat
Malibu Gas Station
Poison Arrow
Anti-Orgasm
Walkin Blue
Massage the History
Death Valley '69

The Sprawl
'Cross the Breeze

Thunderclap
Silver Rocket

yup, that looks about right. thank you for posting that!

SuperCreep 07.03.2009 03:49 PM

yeah, it was a really great show, but I never expect anything less from SY. I was upset that there was no Tom Violence or PCH, but Catholic Block and DV69 are just as great. The Eternal songs all bettered the studio versions, imo, especially No Way and Thunderclap, which I don't like on the album all too much. I'm glad they've been playing the entire album (for the most part anyway) on this tour so far.

Kurt Vile was pretty eh. The Entrance Band impressed me on a few songs. I loved the last one they did. Something like "I know the grim reaper, he's a good friend of mine." It sounded like something The Gun Club would do.

DJ Spankrock 07.03.2009 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notyourfiend

Quote:

Originally Posted by luckynumber9
Catholic Block
Sacred Trickster
What We Know
Calming the Snake
No Way
Antenna
Leaky Lifeboat
Malibu Gas Station
Poison Arrow
Anti-Orgasm
Walkin Blue
Massage the History
Death Valley '69

The Sprawl
'Cross the Breeze

Thunderclap
Silver Rocket

yup, that looks about right. thank you for posting that!

Yes, thanks for posting. I've been searching all day for the set list.

Great show. I hope we don't have to wait another year before they come back to Philly.

Before this tour when was the last time they did DV69???

notyourfiend 07.04.2009 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ Spankrock
Yes, thanks for posting. I've been searching all day for the set list.

Great show. I hope we don't have to wait another year before they come back to Philly.

Before this tour when was the last time they did DV69???

I think the night before?

gregmcg1983 07.04.2009 07:31 PM

trying one more time to post a link to my photos of the show. maybe i can't post URLs? or maybe i'm just TOO REAL.

nah

flickr DOT com SLASH photos SLASH gregmcgarvey

guitarpro 07.04.2009 11:30 PM

Cool set but as far as old stuff nothing there I haven't seen before lol.

DV 69 would of been cool to see again though but they really need to dust off some more old shit they haven't done in a while.

Not really diggin the new stuff so I blew off the show and went to see the Germs in Asbury Park the next night.

Got pretty hammered and hung out with Pat after the show what a great night lol.

jamboree 07.05.2009 09:43 PM

OK, I'm gonna be the one to complain like a bitch, I do apologize...

I was at this show and while I expected to hear new material, I didn't expect them to play the entire LP, straight through (albeit in a different order). Honestly, it was tiring and boring, especially since I listened to the new album straight through on the car ride there. I would have liked to hear a few more classics to keep things interesting and fun.

Overall it was the worst SY concert I've been to. I don't know what it is about the Electric Factory, but from my experience concerts there always bring out the worst crowds and shit setlists. I do agree that DV69 and the encore was good, but still could have been better (Thunderclap is the one song I hate off the Eternal).

Oh and for the record, I did enjoy Kurt Vile, but loathed the Entrance Band. That guy should never attempt to sing lead vocals on anything.

notyourfiend 07.05.2009 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamboree
OK, I'm gonna be the one to complain like a bitch, I do apologize...

I was at this show and while I expected to hear new material, I didn't expect them to play the entire LP, straight through (albeit in a different order). Honestly, it was tiring and boring, especially since I listened to the new album straight through on the car ride there. I would have liked to hear a few more classics to keep things interesting and fun.

Overall it was the worst SY concert I've been to. I don't know what it is about the Electric Factory, but from my experience concerts there always bring out the worst crowds and shit setlists. I do agree that DV69 and the encore was good, but still could have been better (Thunderclap is the one song I hate off the Eternal).

Oh and for the record, I did enjoy Kurt Vile, but loathed the Entrance Band. That guy should never attempt to sing lead vocals on anything.

Yeah, to be honest I thought that it wasn't their best show either (in fact, yeah, it was also the worst one I've been to) There were a lot of mistakes in the set and it was slightly annoying to hear the entire album with no breaks at once. When I met Thurston briefly after the show he joked about how they were still trying to master their new stuff. Oh well. It was still worth it. I must admit that I'm a completely sucker for Cross the Breeze so hearing that live again totally made my night.

deflinus 07.06.2009 12:03 AM

i thought they pulled off Leaky Lifeboat pretty well..

luckynumber9 07.09.2009 02:00 AM

Review and lots of pictures from the show here:

http://www.phrequency.com/blog/Sonic...lly_Young.html