Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What label are SY going with again? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=17904)

Alex's Trip 11.21.2007 09:12 PM

What label are SY going with again?

I don't remember if it is already all figured out or not, but what label are SY going with?

That Radiohead shit got me thinking, will SY try to release their next album that way?

avantgarde1 11.21.2007 10:08 PM

that'd be awesome. but i want some some actual inserts a a case n shit.

atsonicpark 11.22.2007 03:22 AM

if they're smart, they'll go with skin graft and do a split with shakuhachi surprise.

Dead-Air 11.22.2007 03:57 AM

I've heard nothing since hearing their contract with Geffen was up, but I'd lay money that if the don't stay on Geffen (which they still could) they end up on Interscope. But really, it sort of seems that all this touring of Daydream Nation looks like an attempt to appease Geffen, as that is who has the rights to that album after all.

ZEROpumpkins 11.22.2007 04:32 AM

Well Dinosaur Jr. released Beyond on Fat Possum, which is an indie record, correct? And before, they were on a major label, so perhaps they too can un sell-out.

sonicl 11.22.2007 04:34 AM

They'll sign with Universal.

ZEROpumpkins 11.22.2007 04:48 AM

It'd be cool if they signed with Matador. Haven't really heard a Matador artist that I don't like.

h8kurdt 11.22.2007 04:59 AM

Why wouldn't they go on Estatic Peace?

sonicl 11.22.2007 05:06 AM

^
That's indirectly what I said - They'll go to Universal

PAULYBEE2656 11.22.2007 05:46 AM

yeah, ecstatic peace distributed by universal....... fuck all this indie bollocks. universal distribution meant i could go in to my local record shop in wexford town and pull off the shelf turbo fruits, tall firs, awesome color and boss on the day of release........

Bertrand 11.22.2007 05:54 AM

Geffen is a major.
Would going to another major (or to major-in-disguise indie label) be selling out?

PAULYBEE2656 11.22.2007 05:57 AM

sonic youth selling out????????

jeez guys its not 1985 or anything!!!!

avantgarde1 11.22.2007 06:24 AM

honestly i don't give a fuck what it comes out on...... i just wanna fucking hear it! an awesoem color sucks ass! they opened up for SY last year... i wa thouroughly unimpressed.

sonicl 11.22.2007 06:30 AM

Yeah, basically I hope it comes out on whatever label gives SY the best deal financially and artistically. If that's Starbucks, then so be it.

ZEROpumpkins 11.22.2007 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bertrand
(or to major-in-disguise indie label)

Eh I'm so sick of those.

pantophobia 11.22.2007 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicl
Yeah, basically I hope it comes out on whatever label gives SY the best deal financially and artistically. If that's Starbucks, then so be it.

all that and the ability to fully take control of their promotion, not they kinda have been for 10 years, but won't have to worry about a label that just would rather you weren't there, and tuck you in the basement

sarramkrop 11.22.2007 08:39 AM

With 100 new Starbucks outlets about to open in the UK alone, it would be a good thing for them to be bankrolled by such a company, if only because the massive exposure would be beneficial for the collective consciousness to recognise them as great and influential on the same level of your Dylans, Beatles etc.

It seems like now that they are getting older they want to be perceived as more than mere indie rock godfathers, so that could really help to make them known to more than just a wide group of people. Deservedly so.

sonicl 11.22.2007 08:47 AM

Good point. Sonic Youth are well past the stage of being an indie band, and deserve to be more than a cult concern. One day they will be no more, and everyone will be harping on about how important and influential they were. They shouldn't be having to wait until they are extinct to get the recognition they so richly deserve.

sarramkrop 11.22.2007 09:09 AM

The signs have been there for a while, as far as i am concerned.

Ever since I read that interview with Kim Gordon on the NME over a year ago where she explains that the introduction of Daydream Nation into the Library of Congress meant much more to her than anything else they had achieved, I have been thinking about the way that they operate now as a band, and how it must feel for them to be in a position where they are regarded as an influential band, but somehow still a cult band.

It would be an enormous shame if they don't get the sort of super-mainstream treatment that is a necessary malaise in order to make the man and woman on the street at least aware of who they are.

Going back to an indie label would be a shame and nonsense, at this stage in their career.

silverfreepress (sdasher) 11.22.2007 09:16 AM

back to Blast First