Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Helen Lundberg/Eyeliner 7" (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2627)

Isoflurane 06.05.2006 09:19 AM

Helen Lundberg/Eyeliner 7"

Does anyone out there not like this 7"?
Helen Lundberg is ok, but the Lyrics on Eyeliner suck eggs.
Everyone have it?
- JJJOOOHHHNNN

gmku 06.05.2006 11:40 AM

I have it and I want to like it. But... Yeah, I agree about Eyeliner. It's like bad high school poetry. I'm disappointed in Thurston. Helen is a little better, but in general, the single feels like a throwaway.

toxic johnny 06.05.2006 11:55 AM

You people are foolish... this single is great, I love the rawer production... Helen Lundeburg is easily up there with their best material.
I like the lyrics to Eyeliner, Thurston is consistently inventive with his stream of consciousness lyrics/poetry IMO.

Neongod 06.05.2006 12:16 PM

I don't really like either. If I had to pick the lesser of the to evils, I'd go with Eyeliner. But to answer your question, no you are not alone.

Toilet & Bowels 06.05.2006 05:42 PM

well thurston's lyrics seem to know no depths of awfulness these days but the single is about 1000 times better than the new album.

umjammer atomsk 06.05.2006 07:46 PM

Haven't heard them yet so I don't know.

DoubleNickels 06.05.2006 08:57 PM

Eyeliner reminds me of EJSTNS era, so if you just take it as a punk or rock song, it's fine. Not the best they've ever produced. Helen Lundeberg is pretty cool. Does anyone think Thurston sounds like he's 17 in it?

scott v 06.06.2006 12:23 PM

I think the single musically speaking nearly blows away the too squeeky clean and unabrasive sound projected on Rather Ripped.

Neongod 06.06.2006 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott v
I think the single musically speaking nearly blows away the too squeeky clean and unabrasive sound projected on Rather Ripped.

We're all entitled to our own opinion. Even though yours is messed up. ;)

vacuum noise 06.06.2006 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toxic johnny
You people are foolish... this single is great, I love the rawer production... Helen Lundeburg is easily up there with their best material.
I like the lyrics to Eyeliner, Thurston is consistently inventive with his stream of consciousness lyrics/poetry IMO.

I agree, Eyeliner is nuts, one of the weirdest tracks in recent times...Its great, i wish theyd make another weird album like ATL, although I think its interesting to watch how they change and where they go.

Hip Priest 06.07.2006 07:02 AM

Assuming that the two versions are the same as the versions at the end of 'Rather Ripped', I'd say it's pretty good (I'd agree the Hele Lundeberg is the better of the two). But I think SY have a long history off keeping the best tracks away from single releases. The best SY tracks are nearly all lp tracks.

toxic johnny 06.07.2006 07:10 AM

Have you forgotten about Flower + Halloween II ? :)

Hip Priest 06.07.2006 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toxic johnny
Have you forgotten about Flower + Halloween II ? :)

Well, I think 'Starpower' is a fantastic track, one of my favourite SY songs...

I'm not saying SY singles are no good. I'm just saying that their top 50 (or my SY top 50) would not include too many of the singles - I find that they write very consistently good LP's, and it's the tracks therein that I love the most.

toxic johnny 06.07.2006 07:26 AM

Yeah I understand what you mean... my favourite tracks tend to be album tracks as well... I mentioned Flower etc. 'cause it's such an exception to the rule.
There is also Touch Me I'm Sick and Master Dik as well of course!

No Star 06.07.2006 05:39 PM

Im really going to have to disagree with the quote about eyeliner lyrics being poor. its obviously not as spaced and sprawly as usual but its certainly a breath of youthfull air! he sounds like a punk again and thats great!

PAULYBEE2656 06.08.2006 05:37 AM

its punk rock sex with none of the hang ups..
2 real good tracks, not amazingly good but real good. probably better than r ripped itself

No Star 06.08.2006 10:18 AM

its punk rock sex with none of the hang ups..what a line!!!