Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Whats your most memorable Sonic moment? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=21819)

hooligan37 05.13.2008 08:42 AM

Whats your most memorable Sonic moment?

Just want to know what you guys thought. Or what got you into them?

pbradley 05.13.2008 08:50 AM

The first time I listened to EVOL as the fog of the San Francisco Bay was rolling in on the dark summer night like a mystery novel with the fog horns foreshadowing the moans of Marilyn Moore.

Rob Instigator 05.13.2008 09:06 AM

Steve signed my shirt after rocking me out hardcore at a sonic youth show

screamingskull 05.13.2008 10:14 AM

the first time i listened to Murray Street.

when they played teenage riot, when i saw them in 2004.

uhler 05.13.2008 12:07 PM

the first time i heard the feedback breakdown in silver rocket.

july 4th will be my first chance seeing them live ever. i'm excited.

Sonic Youth 37 05.13.2008 01:27 PM

Pretty much the entire time in Nashville where Thurston was about 2 feet away at all times.

Within it, the time he passed his guitar over the crowd during Mote or when he was walking across the monitors and the one in front of me tilted forward, Thurston stumbled and I pushed it back, thereby, possibly saving Mr. Moore from falling into the crowd.

✌➬ 05.13.2008 01:41 PM

The first time I listened to Daydream Nation. God, I was noisily fucked.

raging_nelly 05.13.2008 02:51 PM

The first time I heard the noise jam on the end of pattern recognition. I thought my school band at the time were pushing the barriers in terms of feedback squalls... this just made me wanna give up.

Either that or that youtube video of kool thing a hultsfreed 02 when thurston does that feedback thing with his pedals... i stayed up for ages after that setting up my 1 mulituse pedal so i cud do the exact same thing the next day at a school gig in front of loads of 12 year olds all covering their ears.

SYRFox 05.13.2008 03:01 PM

When I discovered them with Nevermind (what was it anyway) on a Virgin Megastore, that video blew me away... It was incredible, I couldn't even guess what that "Indie" logo on the corner of the TV meant at the time.

Also not so long ago, it was like 1am and I was listening to my iPod, and I played NYC ghosts & Flowers (my favorite song ever done by anybody), and I could feel the shivers growing on me as the crescendo went, and when the great wall of sound came at the end I felt like I was floating, I could litteraly feel waves going through my whole body. It was an incredible experience, I'll never forget it...

Rob Instigator 05.13.2008 03:21 PM

i love those sonic experiences.

the end of mote, the last 4 minutes, when I first heard goo, on headphones in my dark bedroom at my mom's

man, that shit screwed me up for life! I love it! no regrets!

cagedbird 05.13.2008 03:33 PM

Bicycles NYC

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

the end of mote, the last 4 minutes, when I first heard goo, on headphones in my dark bedroom at my mom's

One day, the 9111 thing was really getting to me. I was always into hardcore, since 1992. Way after Thurston and Kim and Steve. So, 3 weeks ago, seeing Thurston take his jacket off and walk past McDonald's across from Bicycles, I was relieved of my 9111 anxiety. It is another nice evening. Now China is in the dark. China is in the dark. China is in the dark. China is in the dark. China is in the dark. Go Led Zeppelin! China is in the dark. Go Go Go Go

charles eugene 05.13.2008 09:19 PM

^^^^are u talking about september 11th? if so, thats a pretty heart-warming story

Everyone of their albums was a new memorable sonic moment upon hearing it and they still are for me.

i love thinking back on all the days i spent(and still do) just laying down, listening to the sounds, just spacing out or analyzing the shit out of them.

barnaclelapse 05.13.2008 10:06 PM

Probably, the first time I listened to Daydream Nation, which was my first SY album.

This was around 2000 or so, and I was roughly as floored as human being could hope to be by a music album.

And that's only happened to me a few times.

✌➬ 05.13.2008 10:53 PM

I also remember what made me love SY, it was listening to Confusion is Sex. That album completely changed the way I feel about music. I was in my room listening to she's in a bad mood. God I love that song.

uhler 05.13.2008 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

that's how i listened to daydream nation, but it wasn't night. i was at my mom's ex husband's place and i just got my order from columbia house and the first thing i listened to on my brand new cd walkman was daydream nation. teenage riot was great, but when i heard silver rocket i was blown away and the album just kept on getting better and better.

Everyneurotic 05.13.2008 11:12 PM

besides almost causing a riot by opening for them...

when i saw them do the noise part in "sugar kane" on later with jools holland. i truly think something inside me went off, like it opened a part of my brain i didn't have access to.

same when i first listened to goodbye 20th century, something changed inside me and i wasn't even aware of it.

evolontko 05.13.2008 11:23 PM

First time with MARILYN MOORE on evol was like everything is simple and any way its worth to live on this fucked up world :)

cagedbird 05.13.2008 11:44 PM

Ay! mi! Thurston

Quote:

Originally Posted by charles eugene
^^^^are u talking about september 11th? if so, thats a pretty heart-warming story

Everyone of their albums was a new memorable sonic moment upon hearing it and they still are for me.

i love thinking back on all the days i spent(and still do) just laying down, listening to the sounds, just spacing out or analyzing the shit out of them.

yes. 911. the deceased french philosopher Jacques Derrida called it a ritual invocation, the word le 11 sept. or september 11th. i can't find the book. it's a very bright critique of the whole collision of history and philosophy, 'philosophy in a time of terror' by giovanna borradori is the reference. i like to write one with a single stroke so it could be "l" or "/". Conversely, "/" for "l". I don't know.

i was wearing my college overcoat. i was watching the people. thurston appeared wearing a denim jacket and a few seconds later he hangs it over his shoulder, turns the "corner on 14" and disappears into the city. go thurston!

Death & the Maiden 05.14.2008 12:55 AM

When I first heard Daydream Nation, I didn't really "get it." Then, on a late afternoon, I listened to Candle. The intro amazed me, I listened to the intro over and over. Then I "got it."

Antagon 05.14.2008 01:06 PM

The first time I heard "Inhuman" damn that fucking blew my mind!