Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   RAP (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=20035)

golden child 02.27.2008 03:04 AM

RAP

been banging the WU-TANG for a few months straight. it is hard to listen to any other rap because it all falls short in comparision. 36 Chambers over and over and over.

but for the sake of general rap discussion I'll kick some off (mostly Wu related of course)

the newest Ghostface CD is hot, um I havent gotten the newest Wu-Tang joint yet but I listened to it at borders and it kinda sucks. I found this sick mash up called "Wu Orleans" that is Wu and Wu affiliates mashed with Louis Armstrong and other ragtime type music. Masta Killa is really got mad flow, but the beats on his CD arent real strong, still highly listenable. Currently borrowing Liquid Swords from a friend, the first 3 songs are great but the rest leaves a little to be desired... "snort cocaine, to act the same" level plain and something about a brain... that shit just loops in my head forever.

listened to some NWA yesterday, used to be way into that but after really digging into the Wu-Tang its realy hard to listen to that lame shit. Still Ice Cube and Easy demand my respect, I have got a few of their tapes.

Any Gravediggaz recommendations? I watched some videos on youtube and I would definatly like to find some records. As far as solo Wu goes I am pretty much just way into Ghostface, but there is alot I havent heard. Raekwons work on 36 Chambers is amazing so I am eagerly wanting to check him out, esspecially since Cuban Linx has Ghost on it alot, their duet "Can It Be That It Was All So Simple" is sooooooo killer. "Kickin the fly cliches and making duets with Rae and A just happens to make my day". Cuban Linx II dropping soon .... ?

screamingskull 02.27.2008 06:33 AM

i like De La Soul and a couple of Jurassic 5 songs but as for Rap music thats about it, i do remember one Wu Tang song from a while back, it was pretty good.

I will search for it on youtube.

_slavo_ 02.27.2008 07:05 AM

geez, this is like 47th thread on hip hop all the way.

Wu Tang 36 chambers still slays big time though. This and Ready to Die by Biggie Smalls.

A Thousand Threads 02.27.2008 07:23 AM

although nobody gives a shit
i have to post it again

EXISTEREO

this dude fucking rocks.
double-time over trashy beats

http://www.myspace.com/existereo

batreleaser 02.27.2008 07:38 AM

the new ghostface is garbage in comparison with his other records\

gravediggaz-graveyard classics & the sickel and the shovel

and there are far more good hip hop alblums than just wu, listen to mf doom, big l, lil wayne, j dilla, biggie, nas, company flow, el-p, and cannibal ox for starters.

RdTv 02.27.2008 07:38 AM

The new Wu-Tang sucks. The new Ghostface is good. Talib Kweli-Eardrum is good. The ''Thes-One'' solo album is good. Asheru and Blue Black is really good. Liquid Swords is a classic throughout the whole album.I highly suggest you listen to it more. Listen to '' Operation Doomsday'' by MF Doom, it has a very Wu-esque feel to it, both lyrically and musically. J-Dilla donuts. You must listen to J-Dilla donuts. ODB - Return to the 36 chambers is also a classic. Nobody came close to ODB's style and originality on that first album. A Tribe Called Quest - Low End Theory, if you haven't listened to a lot of ATCQ, or if you heard some stuff and you didn't like it, listen to this album. And there is nothing lame about NWA, nothing.

atsonicpark 02.27.2008 07:45 AM

Rap's very very OKAY in small doses.Love the first Gravediggaz album, the first Eminem album, some Anticon shit, some Luda, some DMX, and of course 36 Chambers is the best rap album ever.That's about it. It's just boring after a while.

jimbrim 02.27.2008 08:44 AM

MF Doom, Edan, El-p, Gang Starr, and Insight are my faves.

Rob Instigator 02.27.2008 09:44 AM

Eric B & rakim
Gangstarr
PUBLIC ENEMY
Slick Rick The Ruler
A Tribe Called Quest

those are my faves

Toilet & Bowels 02.27.2008 09:45 AM

i'm a bit bored of 36 chambers, i prefer wu-tang forever.
the first gravediggaz record "6 feet deep" is the one to go for.
and to say all other hiphop falls short of wu-tang probably just means you don't like hiphop very much

Everyneurotic 02.27.2008 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _slavo_
geez, this is like 47th thread on hip hop all the way...

thanks! now i won't get shit for saying it myself.

i've been listening to mobb deep lately, check them out if you haven't and like the wu-tang. also early three 6 mafia is amazing.

also being listening to too $hort.

i'm seeing ghostface, dr octagon and dj muggs in like two weeks!!!!!!!

pbradley 02.27.2008 10:58 AM

How white is it of me to dig these guys?

jennthebenn 02.27.2008 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
i'm a bit bored of 36 chambers, i prefer wu-tang forever.

Would agree if Wu-Tang Forever were trimmed to look thusly:

Reunited
For Heaven's Sake
Visionz
As High As Wu-Tang Get
It's Yourz
Triumph
Impossible
The MGM
Duck Seazon
Hellz Wind Staff

Not to say every other track is ass (well, there is "Black Shampoo") but
imagine that tracklisting on a single disc.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 02.27.2008 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golden child
been banging the WU-TANG for a few months straight. it is hard to listen to any other rap because it all falls short in comparision. 36 Chambers over and over and over.

but for the sake of general rap discussion I'll kick some off (mostly Wu related of course)

the newest Ghostface CD is hot, um I havent gotten the newest Wu-Tang joint yet but I listened to it at borders and it kinda sucks. I found this sick mash up called "Wu Orleans" that is Wu and Wu affiliates mashed with Louis Armstrong and other ragtime type music. Masta Killa is really got mad flow, but the beats on his CD arent real strong, still highly listenable. Currently borrowing Liquid Swords from a friend, the first 3 songs are great but the rest leaves a little to be desired... "snort cocaine, to act the same" level plain and something about a brain... that shit just loops in my head forever.

listened to some NWA yesterday, used to be way into that but after really digging into the Wu-Tang its realy hard to listen to that lame shit. Still Ice Cube and Easy demand my respect, I have got a few of their tapes.

Any Gravediggaz recommendations? I watched some videos on youtube and I would definatly like to find some records. As far as solo Wu goes I am pretty much just way into Ghostface, but there is alot I havent heard. Raekwons work on 36 Chambers is amazing so I am eagerly wanting to check him out, esspecially since Cuban Linx has Ghost on it alot, their duet "Can It Be That It Was All So Simple" is sooooooo killer. "Kickin the fly cliches and making duets with Rae and A just happens to make my day". Cuban Linx II dropping soon .... ?

you need to listen to some
e-40
the living legends
and especially everything featuring all of the personalities of Kool Keith aka the Black Elvis aka Dr Ocatagon aka Dr Dooom aka Mr Nagacto

uhler 02.27.2008 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennthebenn
Would agree if Wu-Tang Forever were trimmed to look thusly:

Reunited
For Heaven's Sake
Visionz
As High As Wu-Tang Get
It's Yourz
Triumph
Impossible
The MGM
Duck Seazon
Hellz Wind Staff

Not to say every other track is ass (well, there is "Black Shampoo") but
imagine that tracklisting on a single disc.

black shampoo is the worst wu-tang song. i like how rza says that he's not doing any r&b shit, but then u-god makes a shitty r&b song.

batreleaser 02.27.2008 01:46 PM

i love hip hop just as much as any other music. when i was younger (15-16) it had to be indie, punk , metal, or bust. but as i got older i started to realized that theres so much great music jazz especially, pop, hip hop, folk, i love everything. a great example i think is hisham bharoocha, or all of black dice for that matter. they all started out as a noise based cross over thrash brutal as fuck band, then by creature comforts they expanded their sound to include ambient electronics, hip hop, psychedlia, and they do it well. i love bands who start out as brutal noise but then moprhy more and more as theuir careers go on. i was lookin at hisham's myspace, and he names artists from literally every artist imaginable, and thats really inspring to me.

batreleaser 02.27.2008 01:48 PM

and by the way, wu tang is briliant pure and simple. i see rza the same way i see people like brian wilson, eno, aphex twin, or kevin shields, just brilliant soundsmith, abstsract, electic, but he just comes from a different background. look at the list of records hes responsible for; 36 chambers, return to the 36 chambers, liquid swords, ironman, cuban linx, tical, thats the best catalog of any artist in hip hop, fuck it, thats better than most musicians of any genre, period.

batreleaser 02.27.2008 02:03 PM

other good ones:

early mobb deep
three 6 mafia (everything up to most known unkown, their last good and best record)
kanye west (hes great trust me, one of the few pop stars who's records get more experimental with each release)
public enemy (obviously, hip hop noise)
dalek (the most obtuse and strange hip hop around, equally influenced by public enemy, rza, godflesh, and my bloody valentine)
a tribe called quest
madlib (especially quasimoto)
clipse (there have been three hip hop records this decade which have truly blown minds, and will go down as some of the best records of out time, ghostface-fishscale, madvillian-madvilliany, and clipse-hell hath no fury, even thurston moore himself loves this.)
the new jay z in all honesty is pretty tight (american gangster)
one be lo (seriously the most slept on mc around right now)
digitial underground (when tupac was an art student weirdo, before he became a thug street poet art student hostile)
phaoroh monch (his record that came out last year was quite dope)
roots (illadelph halflife, everything after that is, meh)
lootpack (great stoned out old school revival shit, madlib's first group)
bone thugs n harmony (the great singing rap thugs, they played last night in tucson and i forgot to go, i heard they were great too)
scarface (legendary, he did this track with ghostface a couple years back which might be my favorite hip hop song ever, seriously)
outkast (early stuff, aquemini especially, bombs over baghdad was a great track but they got overrated as fuck when stankokia came out)
goodie mob (southern fried, blunted, spritial hip hop courtest of ceelo greens first group)
ultramagnetic mc's (kool keith before he went into outerspace, but was still talented as fuck)
dizzee rascal (even though him and the grime scene got overhyped as fuck by pitchfork a few years back, dizzee is raw as fuck and has lyrics to blow your mind, he just got signed to defjux in the states and hes a full grown man now, he is going to dominate)
dead prez (its bigger than hip hop)
cam'ron (purple haze, thats about it, amazing record, in the top 5 of this decade, but after that hes just a womanizing shmoe whos homies turned theur backs on him and forgot how to flow)
beanie siegel (underrated, his track on the new ghostface is the best in the record)

thats enough, i seriously just went through my ipod to get all those down for you.

Rob Instigator 02.27.2008 02:09 PM

what's an I-pod?

;)

SYRFox 02.27.2008 02:40 PM

Dälek & Beastie Boys for the win imo