Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Movie suggestions for alternative soundtrack mixes (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9935)

porkmarras 01.18.2007 07:22 AM

Movie suggestions for alternative soundtrack mixes

Give us some suggestions of movies the 'Post Your Mix' folks should make an alternative soundtrack for.

nicfit 01.18.2007 07:25 AM

Do you realise that this "thing" could result in massive 90+ minutes mixes? Or we should just choose single scenes from movies?

porkmarras 01.18.2007 07:27 AM

Of course!We're not doing it proffesionally here!

porkmarras 01.18.2007 07:32 AM

Blue Velvet
Remains Of The Day
Christiane F
Titanic
Nosferatu
Elephant Man
Brokeback Mountain
Any Herzog will do

Tokolosh 01.18.2007 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porkmarras
We're not doing it proffesionally here!

Speak for yourself. :cool: ... :D

nicfit 01.18.2007 07:37 AM

Quote:

Of course!We're not doing it proffesionally here!

Sometimes I dream being a pro... :)

nicfit 01.18.2007 07:40 AM

"Any Herzog Will Do" would be a great band name, but my guess is that Porky meant any movie done by werner herzog will be fine..... I vote for nosferatu (the only one i have on DVD, easier to work with... maybe i could rip it and do a proper video-sound mixing and post it... it could take quite a lot of time, but I'm intrigued...)

Tokolosh 01.18.2007 07:42 AM

Personally, I wouldn't do it with masterpieces. It would be considered rape.
I'd go for something that doesn't have a soundtrack.
Andy Warhol's silent works could be an option.

sonicl 01.18.2007 07:43 AM

I know this is going to sound like one of my more stupid comments, but how about a Disney film? They all feature a good range of emotions, and also are reasonably short.

[EDIT - I'm talking old Disney films here, not Pixar or anything like that]

porkmarras 01.18.2007 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tokolosh
Speak for yourself. :cool: ... :D

You'd be surprised what amateurs can come up with.Nosferatu or some of Herzog's movies would be difficult but stimulating choices.What about some of John Waters' movies like 'Polyester' or 'Female Trouble'?Mike Leigh's 'Secrets And Lies'?Dario Argento?

Tokolosh 01.18.2007 07:51 AM

Quote:

You'd be surprised what amateurs can come up with.Nosferatu or some of Herzog's movies would be difficult but stimulating choices.

Sure it would be interesting to try, but don't you think that Nosferatu's musical score, is impossible to beat?

RdTv 01.18.2007 07:51 AM

arrrghh!

There are so many movies that I've watched and thought 'Damn the music or lack there of in this film is awful' but the time comes now and I can't think of anything really, perhaps coffee will straighten the matter out....

nicfit 01.18.2007 07:52 AM

Well, I decided to work on Murnau's "Nosferatu". Yeah.

compulsive diarrhea, jico 01.18.2007 07:55 AM

i'll do one with tarantino's pulp fiction or jackie brown, i love them both.

edit: haaa, oops, we're supposed to make an alternative soundtrack or mix the movie soundtrack?

Tokolosh 01.18.2007 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicfit
Well, I decided to work on Murnau's "Nosferatu". Yeah.

So, I guess a democratic vote on this, is out of the question. :D

RdTv 01.18.2007 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by compulsive diarrhea, jico

Its hard to beat the soundtrack for either of those movies especially Jackie Brown. I mean, the songs chosen fit perfectly for the scenes and overall theme of the movie(s).

porkmarras 01.18.2007 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tokolosh
Sure it would be interesting to try, but don't you think that Nosferatu's musical score, is impossible to beat?

It is hardly my point.Take Argento's movies:very hard for me to disassociate them from the music of Goblin but then on,say,'Demons' he used fragments of The Smiths's 'Panic'(the scene where the party goes on and the first demon pops out of the tv) or the Cult to good effect.

compulsive diarrhea, jico 01.18.2007 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RdTv
Its hard to beat the soundtrack for either of those movies especially Jackie Brown. I mean, the songs chosen fit perfectly for the scenes and overall theme of the movie(s).

yeah.

Quote:

edit: haaa, oops, we're supposed to make an alternative soundtrack or mix the movie soundtrack?

porkmarras 01.18.2007 08:02 AM

Quote:

We're supposed to make an alternative soundtrack(you can also use some of your music if you like) for an existing movie.

porkmarras 01.18.2007 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicl
I know this is going to sound like one of my more stupid comments, but how about a Disney film? They all feature a good range of emotions, and also are reasonably short.

[EDIT - I'm talking old Disney films here, not Pixar or anything like that]

This made me think of Zorn's brilliant music for cartoons.