Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Heavy soundtrack (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9884)

greenlight 01.15.2007 05:39 PM

Heavy soundtrack

I didn't know about its existence (about movie and soundtrack) till now. Just found it on amazon. I must have missed thread about it (I'm sure that there had to be one). What's Thurston songs on this STO like? Are they "propper" structured songs or "just" his noisy jams. Are they any good. Thanks!

pokkeherrie 01.15.2007 09:34 PM

thurston's tracks are all instrumental stuff, mostly acoustic.

Jef Mertens 01.16.2007 01:12 AM

It's a very good record, and it's a very good film. James Mangold's best, with a gorgeous Liv Tyler. Thurston's five tracks are gorgeous minimalistic music and SOO beautifull!!! The other tracks are pretty decent music as well if you like more mainstream stuff.

Also if you watched the movie Thurston's tracks are even more beautifull as you can easily connect the emotions between Callie and Victor with the songs. Definitely Heavy recommended!!!

Jef Mertens 01.16.2007 01:30 AM

From the liner notes by James Mangold:

"I had hoped that the score for Heavy would be both heartfelt - and modernist. Thurston Moore proved that these are not contradictionary notions. I remember the thrill in my gut as I stayed up all night in Sonic Youth's basement rehearsal space, working the last score pieces with Thurston, this amazingly sincere music spinning out from his guitar."

I think these songs are some of the rare moments Thurston has these improvised music/sounds overdubbed himself.

greenlight 01.16.2007 02:20 PM

thanks for info guys.
going to town tomorrow, I'll keep an eye on it. hopefully it's available in any music shop, as it seems to be pretty mainstream movie.

pokkeherrie 01.16.2007 07:09 PM

I agree that it's a good movie to watch, but the soundtrack is a bit so-so I think. I wouldn't say it's worth getting it from the shops, but if you just get it from ebay you should be able to get it for less than a dollar/euro/pound. Or I could just send you the Thurston tracks.

greenlight 01.16.2007 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokkeherrie
I agree that it's a good movie to watch, but the soundtrack is a bit so-so I think. I wouldn't say it's worth getting it from the shops, but if you just get it from ebay you should be able to get it for less than a dollar/euro/pound. Or I could just send you the Thurston tracks.

that would be great, if you wouldn't mind (even in yahoo group).

badgercorn 01.17.2007 10:50 AM

There's an extra scene on the Pixies DVD LoudQuietLoud where the Pixies are talking about this film. Frank Black claims that he was offered the lead role

Jef Mertens 01.17.2007 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badgercorn
Frank Black claims that he was offered the lead role

nono sir, that would be baaad!!

tesla69 01.17.2007 01:00 PM

As I recall, Thurston performs only 5 songs on the soundtrack, 3 of them I really liked. They are really short too.