Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Recordings we need to find... (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=46132)

Chris Lawrence 01.28.2011 11:19 PM

Recordings we need to find...

...or maybe we have? You tell me!

Outside of SY's own archive, the recordings I'm most curious in hearing are listed below...some are oddball cassette comps I found on discogs.com - I'm not really familiar w/ that site beyond borrowing their imagery but I guess it states who actually owns the item (or presumably does if they contributed it?) and a method to contact them...? Has anyone done this or heard these items via other means?

59 to 1 Cassette Nr.1

This has an untitled SY track (all tracks on the compilation are untitled). It could quite literally be anything, and I'd like to know what it is. 59 to 1 is a club in Munich, so it's possible SY played there in October '83 (indeed their first show of the tour was in Munich, and it's the only venue I don't have listed).

Taking this Place Apart

A tape zine with an SY interview released in 1987. Anyone heard this?

59 to 1 - King Lear

These guys again, and this time the SY track is the only song not identified? Was this deliberate, since the rest of the track list is there?

Purr (B-Side mixes)

I think we'd all like to hear this. ;)

NO II

Does anyone know if this is taken from TV Shit or if it's an unreleased performance of the song?

Mike D Interview

A half hour interview circa 'Washing Machine'. Who's got it, let's hear it.

Also, here's some vinyl bootlegs that should be transferred if anyone has em...

Bad Mood

Brother James

Live in Germany

Madonna????!!! HEre?!?!? WherE?!?!?

Onsuku Seinen

Personality Crisis (I never noticed until just now but this 7" claims to contain "Beat on the Brat" from the 10/25/87 show, which has no set list listed in the Concert Chronology...)

Sonic Mania of Brother - discussed recently...

A couple of old vinyl compilations w/ live tracks that I'd be curious to hear...

Communicate Live

Emma Presenteert

Hits $ Corruption - we probably have "World Looks Red" covered between Walls Have Ears and some other comps but how about that interview tape?

Wow, that turned into a long list. Well, if you can help in any way, that would be appreciated! The recent "Life Would Be Grim Without Humour" thread inspired me. I had the "Sonik Death" mystery solved here, so I have confidence this will turn out well...(maybe)

MyFriendGoo 01.29.2011 02:50 AM

59 to 1 no 1

59 to 1 no 17

I have the "Communicate" cd somewhere. I'll try to find it. Also I have the SY/Cell split, unfortunately I have no means to rip vinyl at the moment.

Chris Lawrence 01.29.2011 03:35 AM

Well that was quick!!! (and sadly anti-climatic, BUT happily conclusive!)

If you have access to the 7", what does the label on it say? The scan on my site isn't clear enough...

Thanks for those links, that's amazing! Just went up late last year too. I won't spoil it for those who want to see for themselves, but I also wouldn't get your hopes up...

stu666 01.29.2011 05:15 AM

i've got a flac rip of the Brother James 10" i'll upload it for you, also i can rip the SY/Cell 7" and the Personality Crisis bootleg. i'll scan the covers and labels too...

EDIT: Brother James 10" Bootleg is available here: http://sonicyouth.utkonos.org/lossle.../SY-BJ-10inch/

stu666 01.29.2011 07:08 AM

hipster_bebop_junkie 01.29.2011 11:46 AM

I like this thread.

stu666 01.29.2011 02:15 PM

i will try to rip the vinyl tomorrow...

hirsute_biped 01.30.2011 12:25 AM

I have the "Bad Mood" 2x 7in, but no way to rip from vinyl right now.

easyrazors had some of those boots like Sonic Mania of Brother and What? Madonna? Where? up for sale a while ago.

greedrex 01.30.2011 04:22 AM

this thread is way cool.

stu666 01.31.2011 06:56 PM

No II is the third track on the TV Shit cd.

Cell/Sonic Youth split 7"
flac mp3

Personality Crisis 7"
flac mp3

Chris Lawrence 02.01.2011 01:53 AM

Wow, I should start more threads! Great stuff, Stu! Thanks so much!

toxic johnny 02.01.2011 02:10 AM

Thanks Stu !

rappard 02.01.2011 06:12 AM

Stu = awesome.

nicfit 02.01.2011 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rappard
Stu = awesome.

QFT

greedrex 02.01.2011 06:49 AM

Ghostchase 02.01.2011 11:17 PM

Mike D interview! Loved to here that one.

hipster_bebop_junkie 02.02.2011 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stu666
No II is the third track on the TV Shit cd.

Cell/Sonic Youth split 7"
flac mp3

Personality Crisis 7"
flac mp3

Beautiful!

Thank you so very much!

skipvacuum 02.02.2011 05:25 PM

thanks Stu !!! and yes Chris you need to start more threads like this..there was one this listed here i never heard about and most of my free time has been spent trying to track it down...hopefully i'll post it here

hirsute_biped 02.04.2011 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hirsute_biped
I have the "Bad Mood" 2x 7in, but no way to rip from vinyl right now.

easyrazors had some of those boots like Sonic Mania of Brother and What? Madonna? Where? up for sale a while ago.

I just made some scans of the Bad Mood 2x 7in., saved in jpg, but they're too large to upload, and I'm kind of ignorant as to how to resize them or upload them some other way. They're not that exciting, just images stolen from the Geffen CD reissue inner booklets with minimal text added on top, no date or venue listed beyond "Sweden 1983" , plain blue vinyl labels. This was a cheapo bootleg I got in the 90's. Still no vinyl ripping capabilities, unless someone wants to help me out with $ to fix my laptop's broken audio-in jack...

rappard 02.05.2011 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hirsute_biped
I just made some scans of the Bad Mood 2x 7in., saved in jpg, but they're too large to upload, and I'm kind of ignorant as to how to resize them or upload them some other way. They're not that exciting, just images stolen from the Geffen CD reissue inner booklets with minimal text added on top, no date or venue listed beyond "Sweden 1983" , plain blue vinyl labels. This was a cheapo bootleg I got in the 90's. Still no vinyl ripping capabilities, unless someone wants to help me out with $ to fix my laptop's broken audio-in jack...

The best and cheapest option is probably to buy a USB soundcard - those (probably) all have audio in. I have this one:
http://us.store.creative.com/Sound-B...B0044DEDC0.htm