Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Which Sonic Youth Album should I get next? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=13442)

Crimson Mercury 05.26.2007 06:02 PM

Which Sonic Youth Album should I get next?

Um, Hello. This is my first post here but I just recently started listening to Sonic Youth. I pretty much like all types of music and I just bought some of their albums yesterday, The ones I got were:

Sister
Daydream Nation
Goo
Dirty
Murray Street
Rather Ripped

I have enjoyed everythig I have heard by them so far and I was wondering if someone could reccomend another good one. My favorite 2 of the 6 I have so far are "Sister" and "Murray Street".

Danny Himself 05.26.2007 06:08 PM

EVOL and Experimental Jet Set, Trash and No Star.

HECKLER SPRAY 05.26.2007 06:11 PM

To complete Danny's post, I 'd say Bad Moon Rising.

Scars4Eyes 05.26.2007 06:11 PM

Washing Machine

HECKLER SPRAY 05.26.2007 06:25 PM

Anyway, you've got most of the masterpieces of the band. And Sister is my favourite, too. Good choice, my friend.

Bicorn Halfelven 05.26.2007 06:27 PM

Seconded, thirded: Sister is wonderful.

Runners up:

EVOL
Confusion is Sex
Sonic Nurse
Washing Machine

wowee zowee2000 05.26.2007 06:28 PM

a thousand leaves

neptuneg 05.26.2007 06:49 PM

a logical next step would probably be Washing Machine. then again, there is no logic to Sonic Youth.:D

Everyneurotic 05.26.2007 07:20 PM

confusion is sex and/or syr4

HECKLER SPRAY 05.26.2007 08:02 PM

I think confusion is Sex is maybe too difficult for a beginner, except for a No wave or Harcore fan. It's rough. It's not for the kids.:rolleyes:

Everyneurotic 05.26.2007 08:04 PM

but it's also one of their very best, so don't skim on the good stuff.

besides, if you can't get into cis or syr4, they you can't really like sonic youth.

HECKLER SPRAY 05.26.2007 08:12 PM

I don't mean it's a bad one, I really love it, but if the guy wants to go progressivly, maybe he should try to listen to other stuffs before, like Bad Moon Rising.
Yeah, Confusion is a masterpiece, songs like Bad Mood, World looks red... are fucking great. It made a profond impression on me the first time I 've listened to it.

auto-aim 05.26.2007 09:34 PM

I'd go with confusion is sex or EVOL - i say it ups the concentration levels but not too much..... I didnt understand confusion is sex for a long while but it really is the bees knees - and EVOL is fucking classic

Green Magnesium 05.26.2007 10:04 PM

Get the self-titled debut EP!

Evol, Washing Machine and Sonic Nurse are all great ideas as well.

youthoftomorrow 05.26.2007 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
if you can't get into cis or syr4, they you can't really like sonic youth.

i don't like SYR4 at all.

as for what to get next, avoid EJST&NS. i'd go with Sonic Nurse or EVOL.

dionysusundone 05.26.2007 11:21 PM

EVOL, but I have to mention the first SY album I loved was CIS, I thought the others were too quiet for the longest time.

SYRFox 05.27.2007 01:12 AM

Bad Moon Rising is my favorite, but I'd recommend you to buy EVOL if you loved Sister

Dead-Air 05.27.2007 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crimson Mercury
Um, Hello. This is my first post here but I just recently started listening to Sonic Youth. I pretty much like all types of music and I just bought some of their albums yesterday, The ones I got were:

Sister
Daydream Nation
Goo
Dirty
Murray Street
Rather Ripped

I have enjoyed everythig I have heard by them so far and I was wondering if someone could reccomend another good one. My favorite 2 of the 6 I have so far are "Sister" and "Murray Street".

Bad Moon Rising is my all time favorite. However, given the two you mention being your favorites, you should probably grab Washing Machine, which is definitely along the same lines in terms of more melodic and pop frameworks for the noise. EVOL was also the first record to set that direction and Sister was reputedly titled as a "sister album" to it (they came out in a 1 year period.)

Dead-Air 05.27.2007 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
but it's also one of their very best, so don't skim on the good stuff.

besides, if you can't get into cis or syr4, they you can't really like sonic youth.

I don't think that's true at all. Mind, those are two of my very favorite albums, and I LOVE that aspect of the band. However, if somebody just gets into the melodic pop side of the group, that's still Sonic Youth they are liking. I'm sure the band would feel that way.

greenlight 05.27.2007 02:16 AM

first evol and washing machine

and then

confusion in sex and bad moon rising