Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   worst SY song EVER (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=121439)

NYCgaf16 12.28.2019 11:17 AM

worst SY song EVER

every band has one. sonic youth also has one... or maybe more than one.

what is yours? why? wait there was already a thread like that? well i didn't know that. screw that

ok back to the topic. in my opinion the worst song is *drum roll*

almost every song from 2000s era

Antagon 12.28.2019 12:18 PM

Technically a "Ciccone Youth"-song, but I'm gonna go with Tuff Titty Rap. I know it's tongue in cheek and Thurston even acknowledges his less than impressive rap-skills, but ... just no!

Never been too fond of "Sleeping Around" either.

d.sound 12.28.2019 12:18 PM

what a terrible question to ask on a fan forum.

having said that, they lost me at rather ripped. Jams Run Free is one of my favorite Kim songs, Reena is ok. Everything is else is no. I honestly can't sit through a single song on The Eternal. I have tried a few times. The production quality in and of itself is baffling. Thurston's post SY rock stuff was likewise baffling. Psychic Hearts is ace, but like what the hell Trees Outside.

Kim really brought that band together. I had no idea what a difference she made until comparing their post SY solo stuff.

stoppiing my run on tangent here

NYCgaf16 12.28.2019 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antagon
Technically a "Ciccone Youth"-song, but I'm gonna go with Tuff Titty Rap. I know it's tongue in cheek and Thurston even acknowledges his less than impressive rap-skills, but ... just no!

Never been too fond of "Sleeping Around" either.

kinda off topic but i have a family in Austria!

Antagon 12.28.2019 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYCgaf16

Also, that's a pity. The 2000s gave us classics like I Love You Golden Blue, Pink Steam, NYCGAF's title track and many other great ones. I thought The Eternal was a bit on the weaker side (not bad, just weaker), but the others were at the very least well-made (I especially love NYCGAF and Sonic Nurse). I even have some fondness for Rather Ripped, despite it featuring one of my least favorite songs.

Of course, considering my love for gloomy Post-Punk, I hold some of their early albums like Bad Moon Rising and EVOL in the highest regard, but I feel like you're dismissing a good amount of great gems here and also great albums for that matter.

!@#$%! 12.28.2019 12:42 PM

Quote:

that’s totally and absolutely wrong, old nostalgia man

nycgf, murray st and sonic nurse are great albums. you just have to listen with your ears rather than your choice of trendy tshirt.

as for the rest, please look at danielle’s reply, which says anything i could add, only much better. and yeah, that especially includes “what a terrible question to ask on a fan forum” lol.

NYCgaf16 12.28.2019 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
that’s totally and absolutely wrong, old nostalgia man

nycgf, murray st and sonic nurse are great albums. you just have to listen with your ears rather than your choice of trendy tshirt.

as for the rest, please look at danielle’s reply, which says anything i could add, only much better. and yeah, that especially includes “what a terrible question to ask on a fan forum” lol.

I mean nycgaf was the best album in that era murray street was also cool sonic nurse was a great album too. I didnt said that i hate every record from that era just most of the albums are really weak for sy standards.

NYCgaf16 12.28.2019 04:05 PM

For the best tracks from that era i would pick:
Plastic Sun
Disconnection Notice
NYCGAF
Free City Rgymes
Empty Page
Nevermind
Pattern Recognition
Stones
I Love You Golden Blue
Incinerate
Sleepin' Around
Jams Runs Free
What A Waste
Lights Out
Do You Believe In Rapture?
All of the Eternal except Message the History, Malibu Gas Station, Poison Arrow

!@#$%! 12.28.2019 04:44 PM

Quote:

I mean nycgaf was the best album in that era murray street was also cool sonic nurse was a great album too. I didnt said that i hate every record from that era just most of the albums are really weak for sy standards.

i wouldn’t say “weak” but it got more complex and nuanced which is a natural evolution in musicians as they mature and hone their craft

listen to the guitars in rain on tin with a decent pair of headphones, and aside from the evident “noise” you can hear the instruments talking to each other in ways that should give you chills on the spine a little bit

i get being 15 and hormones and all that, but not everything has to be “hard” all the time

anywyay, if not today, maybe 15 years from now you might appreciate.

in the meantime, there’s napalm death :D

Toxa 12.28.2019 08:15 PM

Thunderclap or What a Waste

greenlight 12.29.2019 07:17 AM

I used to skip Little Trouble Girl all the time for some reason.

_tunic_ 12.29.2019 12:29 PM

Any time Kim massacres the trumpet I switch off my ears (e.g. Lightnin')

Rob Instigator 12.30.2019 09:05 AM

worst sonic youth song is Contre Le sexisme. Always has been. Always will be.

!@#$%! 12.30.2019 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

oh alice! alice, come back. he’s just a kitten.
he’s just a kitten!

i like that tune. at times the guitars sound like bells almost.

Rob Instigator 12.30.2019 03:11 PM

sound like bells dipped in shit maybe. worst SY song ever. Worse than Satan is Boring.

h8kurdt 12.30.2019 03:40 PM

Justice is Might gets my vote any day. Although I will say I don't think they ever did a perfect album. They came close a lot of times but there's always one weak ass track on all of their albums.

!@#$%! 12.30.2019 06:52 PM

Quote:

sound like bells dipped in shit maybe. worst SY song ever. Worse than Satan is Boring.

lmfao

NO

The Soup Nazi 12.30.2019 10:18 PM

I like 'em all.

_tunic_ 01.01.2020 08:40 AM

Quote:

My first good deed in the new year:

I neg repped Rob! :D :fuckyou:

Toilet & Bowels 01.01.2020 02:06 PM

I LOVE Contre Le Sexisme and it's probably in my top 3 tracks on that album. And it's Kim's best weirdo creeper song since Halloween or Secret Girl

Satan is boring is pretty bad but it's not appalling and soul destroying in the way Rather Ripped was. There's some corny shit on The Eternal too, and also Mariah Carey & ADHC. All that stuff was heralded by the whack as fuck My Friend Goo.

I just realised what the worst SY song is.... Kool Thing.