Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   My next move? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=19621)

Thor Anders Aase 02.11.2008 11:25 AM

My next move?

I only discovered SY a month ago. They totally blew me away. Listening to other bands now seems like a waste of time. I havent baught SY ep, Bad Moon Rising, Goo, NYCGF and Rather Ripped. My favorite so far is Sister, but EVOL and Thousand Leaves are very close. Dirty is the most boring one. What should be my next move?:confused:

sonicl 02.11.2008 11:28 AM

Try some solo / side project stuff: Lee Ranaldo's "Amarillo Ramp", and The Bark Haze (half of which is Thurston).

By the way, hello, and welcome to the board.

_slavo_ 02.11.2008 11:29 AM

I reckon Daydream Nation and Bad Moon Rising.

This Is Not Here 02.11.2008 11:36 AM

I definately reccomend you crack out Bad Moon Rising next, that album blew me away, but prepare for a bleak experience. You should buy rather ripped last, its fairly standard alt rock, standard tunings, standard structures, you'll enjoy it, but only when you've bought everything else and they're completely infallible.

ChocolateJesus 02.11.2008 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _slavo_
I reckon Daydream Nation and Bad Moon Rising.

I second these suggestions.

SYRFox 02.11.2008 12:09 PM

From your list, I'd say Bad Moon Rising and NYC Ghosts & Flowers, two of my favorite Sonic Youth albums. Bad Moon Rising being the best album of all time, of course

This Is Not Here 02.11.2008 12:19 PM

Yeah, I think it's best you crack out Bad Moon Rising next, that album blew me away, but prepare for a bleak experience. Rather Ripped you should buy last, it's fairly standard Alt rock, standard tunings, standard structure - i mean, you'll love it, buit only when you own everything else as by that point the band will be infallible.

tasteinmen 02.11.2008 12:49 PM

I personally chose rather ripped as one my first albums along with goo and I really love it, bad moon rising I was confused when i first heard it, but it's only recently that i've started loving it, especially Brave Men Run and I'm Insane, it's a very strange experience, I'm still yet to get into a few songs on the album but it's great, so yeah, Bad Moon Rising.
I still have to get EP, NYC (I may save this till last), Murray Street and The Destroyed Room.

tasteinmen 02.11.2008 12:51 PM

btw, I totally agree with listening to other bands being like a waste of time, all these new rock bands are so pretentious.

greenlight 02.11.2008 12:54 PM

welcome onboard! nice to see somebody from Norway. always wanted to go there.

what about Washing Machine? do you have it? you like it? yeah, go for Bad Moon Rising and NYCGF. I like Goo very much as well - but that was my first SY encounter.

This Is Not Here 02.11.2008 01:34 PM

No tasteinmen, save Murray Street till last, NYC is cool, but in a very experimental way, Murray street is quite simply their most perfectly crafted LP, a perfect album to finish it all off with.

Magic Wheel Memory 02.11.2008 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thor Anders Aase
Listening to other bands now seems like a waste of time.

It is.

tasteinmen 02.11.2008 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by This Is Not Here
No tasteinmen, save Murray Street till last, NYC is cool, but in a very experimental way, Murray street is quite simply their most perfectly crafted LP, a perfect album to finish it all off with.

I'll bare that in mind :)

screamingskull 02.11.2008 02:20 PM

you can't go wrong with

Daydream Nation
Washing Machine
Murray Street

Thor Anders Aase 02.11.2008 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by screamingskull
you can't go wrong with

Daydream Nation
Washing Machine
Murray Street

I know, I have them all ready.. thanks anyway..

Thor Anders Aase 02.11.2008 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenlight
welcome onboard! nice to see somebody from Norway. always wanted to go there.

what about Washing Machine? do you have it? you like it? yeah, go for Bad Moon Rising and NYCGF. I like Goo very much as well - but that was my first SY encounter.

I am listening to Washing Mashine right now..love it so far.. come to Norway.. I think it`s a bit like Canada...cold as fuck...

✌➬ 02.11.2008 03:01 PM

Now I want to listen to Washing Machine again. I would say Bad Moon Rising, that is the best album from that era.

This Is Not Here 02.11.2008 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ✌➬
Now I want to listen to Washing Machine again.

I love washing machine, of course, Panty Lies is in my top 5 favourite SY tracks. But is it just me or is that the worst produced album Sonic Youth has released. Maybe its supposed to sound like that, I dunno.

king_buzzo 02.11.2008 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by This Is Not Here
I love washing machine, of course, Panty Lies is in my top 5 favourite SY tracks. But is it just me or is that the worst produced album Sonic Youth has released. Maybe its supposed to sound like that, I dunno.

lol, what a username!!!!

:D

This Is Not Here 02.11.2008 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by king_buzzo
lol, what a username!!!!

Hey man, whats the beef with my username?! ;)