Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Sonic Youth Album Advice (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=887)

nomadicfollower 04.13.2006 04:10 PM

I agree with Murray Street being a good place to start.

TheDom 04.13.2006 04:11 PM

I'd say Sister or Dirty.

scott v 04.13.2006 04:19 PM

I'd say get Rather Ripped, eventhough i haven't heard it
you can supposedly find it on soulseek so that means it will cost you nothing though it maybe frowned upon by the band, many "fans" here seem to enjoy it and also seem to enjoy telling everyone how they do!

so be the asshole, the first on your block to hear and download the sucker...
and let us all know how much of a pro-pop rock song album it is, good, bad or indifferent.

terminal pharmacy 04.13.2006 05:10 PM

i'd go with experimental jetset, trash and no star. i think it is there most accessible album as far as song structure goes.

sellouteater 04.13.2006 05:12 PM

You should listen to the cds in the order they came out.

SonikJesus 04.13.2006 07:53 PM

Inhuman, the same thing happenned to me about 2 years ago. I'd start with Daydream Nation, Goo, Sister, or Murray Street.

the ikara cult 04.13.2006 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terminal pharmacy
i'd go with experimental jetset, trash and no star. i think it is there most accessible album as far as song structure goes.

dont listen to this person, they clearly have some kind of mental deficiency ;)

finding nobody 04.13.2006 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Highway 61
Yeah, Dylan is probably my all time favorite.

abe said where you want this killin done? god said over on highway 51!

the song and the album both pimp very hard

greenlight 04.14.2006 02:05 PM

do not forget - Washing Machine

sonicpollution 04.14.2006 03:02 PM

Washing Machine may not be the best album to start off with, but it's definitely one to get early on. Getting DDN, Washing Machine and Murray Street all at the same time would be my reccomendation, and then depending on which you enjoy most explore around that era...though all of SY's stuff is worth a listen to eventually. Can't say they've every really made a BAD record yet.

From my experience I've found that the key with listening to SY for the first time though is to have patience...to be honest there have been very few SY records that I loved instantly on hearing them for the first time. They all take time to grow on you (especially some of the less accessible stuff), but give the stuff a chance...most of it's very good

Torn Curtain 04.14.2006 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDom
I'd say Sister or Dirty.

Ditto.

terminal pharmacy 04.14.2006 05:28 PM

sorry ikara, i will cease to have any opinion at all, i hope your omnipotence is working well for you

PunkerViolence 04.15.2006 05:30 AM

I started on the very early stuff.....well after i got Daydream nation....i got Bad moon rising - loved that..Then i think EVOL...bla bla....So yer...id get their early records 2 be blown totally away.

Washing Machine 04.15.2006 07:29 AM

I would say start with 'Dirty' then move on to 'Sonic Nurse' and then of course you will be able to appreciate their signature 'Daydream Nation' album (coolest album cover ever!). Don't touch the early stuff, at least not until your are truely versed in SY's sound and style. If I had got 'Sonic Youth', 'Confusion is Sex' or 'Bad Mood Rising' as start off albums (as brilliant as they are) I would probebly not have gotten into sonic youth! Same goes for the SYR series!

Spiritual Amnesia 04.15.2006 07:58 AM

i started with Washing Machine,

but i would wait for Rather Ripped------......------

Torn Curtain 04.15.2006 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Washing Machine
Don't touch the early stuff, at least not until your are truely versed in SY's sound and style. If I had got 'Sonic Youth', 'Confusion is Sex' or 'Bad Mood Rising' as start off albums (as brilliant as they are) I would probebly not have gotten into sonic youth! Same goes for the SYR series!

I agree.

kingcoffee 04.15.2006 09:08 AM

It's best to sart with their pop works first, to ease you into their world. So I suggest either Sonic Nurse, Murray Street or A Thousand Leaves. BUT I also recommend that you listen to Daydream Nation or Sister as well. It's your call beacuase they are all great albums. Daydream and Sister are their landmark albums, the band's creative height, but are more experimantal and lesss mainstream/pop oriented.

wolliewollie 04.15.2006 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Highway 61
I was wondering if one of you could give me a good starting place for a Sonic Youth album. I caught a show about a year back, and was blown away and have been meaning to pick up a cd since then, and now I'm going to do it.

Below are some of the bands I find myselef listening to the most, so hopefully this will provide some guidance as to which album to suggest. Thanks again!

I listen to:

Widespread Panic
PJ Harvey
Beastie Boys
Wilco
Ryan Adams
Dinosaur Jr.
Grateful Dead
Miles Davis (Bitches Brew, Tribute to JJ -- era)

buy em all, most of em are lowprice now anyway...;)