Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   "Ding Dong" (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=111579)

The Soup Nazi 04.16.2015 04:43 PM

"Ding Dong"

This is hardly news, but for those of you who haven't read it, here's a little bit o' confrontation between the critic from The Wire who reviewed The Best Day and Mr. TM. Ding dong!

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 04.16.2015 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
This is hardly news, but for those of you who haven't read it, here's a little bit o' confrontation between the critic from The Wire who reviewed The Best Day and Mr. TM. Ding dong!

Why is Thurston (or his handlers) being such a dick? It wasn't exactly a scathing review

The Soup Nazi 04.16.2015 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Why is Thurston (or his handlers) being such a dick?

I think you mean a ding dong.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 04.16.2015 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
I think you mean a ding dong.

whorefrost 04.17.2015 03:58 AM

Too busy suckin' on a ding dong I'd wager.

whorefrost 04.17.2015 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Why is Thurston (or his handlers) being such a dick?

This definitely reads like the man himself, hadn't even occurred to me that the Thurston Moore band would outsource their PR (other than for obvious things like press releases for new albums etc). They're hardly on the level of, say, Sonic Youth.

The name Daniel Spicer rings more than a few bells so I googled him and sure enough, he's active in the English improv scene and I'm pretty I saw him playing Colour out of Space in Brighton, possibly the same year Thurston and Bill Nace were there. I wouldn't be surprised if Moore and Spicer cross paths at Cafe Oto or the like at some point which would be awkward. Or maybe they already met and there is an existent beef of some kind. Mere speculation of course, seems totally unlikely.

greenlight 04.17.2015 08:10 AM

probably he felt bit frustrated over typos and misheard co-written lyrics. looks like he is bit touchy over his last release, which is whatever, but "my new excellent record", is what makes me wonder. I am not saying it is a bad record, but is not it too much of self confidence there? ...with due respect. I am still looking forward to hear The Best Day live though.

greenlight 04.17.2015 08:17 AM

by the way does Thurston still writes for Wire? he had a column there didn't he?

whorefrost 04.17.2015 12:24 PM

I sense an epic feud of Christgau proportions brewing... I actually heard his new record is going to be called "Daniel Spicer is my Dick" which is starting to make sense now...

Toilet & Bowels 04.20.2015 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenlight
by the way does Thurston still writes for Wire? he had a column there didn't he?

Byron Coley has a coloumn The Wire. TM had a coloumn in Arthur that he wrote with Byron Coley. Their column in Arthur was recently expanded into a quarterly magazine, The Bull Tongue Review.

Genteel Death 04.20.2015 12:55 PM

I'm much more disturbed by his use of ''poet provocateur'' in 2015.

Bal 04.20.2015 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenlight
looks like he is bit touchy over his last release, which is whatever, but "my new excellent record", is what makes me wonder. I am not saying it is a bad record, but is not it too much of self confidence there?

i think (i hope) thurston was just ironic here, wasnt he?
altho lately in many interviews, he comes across as a person who takes himself way too serious...
here for example

he used to be such a cool dude

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 04.20.2015 01:32 PM

You can never tell with Thurston.. he is one of music's original Trollz.. its why he and Nirvana got along so damned well

greenlight 04.20.2015 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
Byron Coley has a coloumn The Wire. TM had a coloumn in Arthur that he wrote with Byron Coley. Their column in Arthur was recently expanded into a quarterly magazine, The Bull Tongue Review.

alright. you are right. yeah, yeah. I remember now. thanks!

Blue Human 04.24.2015 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
Their column in Arthur was recently expanded into a quarterly magazine, The Bull Tongue Review.

Does anyone know if this is being distributed in the EU? USPS shipping costs 4 times the price of the 'zine. Thanks