Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Chris Lawrence, look out behind you... (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=16932)

Moshe 10.09.2007 08:04 AM

Chris Lawrence, look out behind you...

edit- after realizing the link I provided was offering illegal SY downloads I deleted the link to the site.

nicfit 10.09.2007 08:17 AM

uhh all those official releases download links....huh.

atari 2600 10.09.2007 08:20 AM

Yeah, that's pretty fucked.

nicfit 10.09.2007 08:23 AM

yeah, also in the links section there's a blog with many official releases' download links... well, all in all we are kinda pro-sharing on this board, but sy official stuff is still taboo (and with good reason, methinks).

atari 2600 10.09.2007 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rapaz maldito
he couldnt even resist to put some ads. huh...

so this person must be a male?

but yeah, the person is yet another covert show seller.

...weird how they would do all that work and then spoil it by linking to official releases...the place isn't built to last.

what they should do is offer truncated versions of the officially released tracks...samples...or failing that, they should offer them at a very low bitrate.

atari 2600 10.09.2007 08:28 AM

absolutely it is, and the officially released stuff is just plain illegal.

but hey, according to swa(y), it's all hunky dory.

A Thousand Threads 10.09.2007 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moshe

Never heard of this band but that Teenage Riot song is catchy. I like it.

nicfit 10.09.2007 08:43 AM

dunno, maybe the ads are "forced" by the hosting since the site seems to be one of those free things... well, at least here in italy many "free" hosting services put "forced" ads here and there, and you don't gain anything with those, but the providers do, and that way they can give you your free hosting space..dunno if what I said here is clear, sorry.

Danny Himself 10.09.2007 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rapaz maldito
yeah. but i'm afraid we cant do much. against it

Call Geffen? Eh..

atari 2600 10.09.2007 09:09 AM

yeah, it's probably the publishers of the free site that's making the money...you're right, nicfit. i had a knee-jerk reaction.

atsonicpark 10.09.2007 09:59 AM

fuck yea, gettin the withey album as we speak!

nicfit 10.09.2007 10:05 AM

ha, adam you chose a cheap one.

greenlight 10.09.2007 10:25 AM

huh?

Everyneurotic 10.09.2007 10:56 AM

yeah, like it's the first time someone shares an in print, widely available album on the internet.

call lars ulrich.

atari 2600 10.09.2007 11:02 AM

I checked, and the only ones I don't already have are
KEKELAND (2001) & THE HARRY SMITH PROJECT (2006) which are categorized under "rarities."

Many here have most of these that are any good already (Lisbon '93, Dusseldorf '96, etc.) One good one that many may not have though is "Europe '92" from Rome.

nicfit 10.09.2007 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
yeah, like it's the first time someone shares an in print, widely available album on the internet.

call lars ulrich.

The thing I don't like much is the fact that the site is somewhat "dedicated" to sy , and that all the boots and stuff are a nice thing for people who don't have them, but the official releases are a bit of a "bad taste" addition. Sure, you can easily find them around the web, even with no links on that site, but putting the links so "publicly" ruins a bit what could be a really interesting and overall nice site. Just my 2 cents, no need to raise much fuss or to ask for that guy/girl's crucifixion (of sean penn).

Everyneurotic 10.09.2007 11:12 AM

buzzo posted a blog that had the whole official discographies of mudhoney, dinosaur jr, pearl jam, soundgarden, etc.

i've come across plenty blogs that post whole discographies in one go.

of course, as sy fans, it seems bad but, at the same time, a lot of us go around looking for other sites to find other bands' discographies.

i agree nobody should post this on here since it's the sonic youth board, but, like a few months ago when someone asked for blogs with sun city girls' albums, don't you think there's other people and other blogs that are looking to check out sonic youth?

it was bound to happen and it's not sad or anything.

nicfit 10.09.2007 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
i've come across plenty blogs that post whole discographies in one go.

of course, as sy fans, it seems bad but, at the same time, a lot of us go around looking for other sites to find other bands' discographies.

Yes, as I said official releases are easy to find around the web, I agree with you on everything you said, but my point is that I think the guy must be a SY fan too, and as you said "as sy fans, it seems bad", that's why I think the official releases links are a bit "bad tasted", that's all. I mean, I think that that site would be better without them, all in all, from a sonic-youth-fan-site-creator-pov if you understand what I mean :D.

The Usher 10.09.2007 04:28 PM

Is it possible that "one of us" has uploaded this blog...

neptuneg 10.09.2007 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Usher
Is it possible that "one of us" has uploaded this blog...

not it! *touches nose*