Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Dripping Dream Live (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=13187)

All Hail WATT 05.14.2007 09:38 AM

Dripping Dream Live

Why was it played live so few times?

A shame I have not gotten to hear that or Peace Attack (Cut from the philly setlist when i saw them on Nurse tour, grrrrr!) yet...

pantophobia 05.14.2007 09:41 AM

i think cause it was a very intricate complex song, and i guess it was too difficult to play it night after night, or maybe they just got bored with it

Toxa 05.14.2007 11:08 AM

from mustang site:

Quote:

Debuted at a secret gig in November 2003, this song's working title was "MAACO". It was rarely played after that, only 3 times on the entire Nurse tour -- apparently Thurston had complications with the vocal (possibly remembering all those words).

ALIEN ANAL 05.14.2007 11:20 AM

id love to see this live

screamingskull 05.14.2007 11:28 AM

"On top
I drop
Fake-blood
Fresh blood
They're gone
For good
Except
This one

Howl inscriptions to the mother earth
O mother africa awake your son
To all the mommas with the money eyes
This kinda love comes as no surprise"

Its a great song, maybe he could have the lyrics on a sheet in front of him.

GrungeMonkey 05.14.2007 02:15 PM

I remember an article in a magazine, I think it was a copy of filter I bought in america, where sy were listening to dripping dream without knowing, and lee asks thurston "who is this?" to which thurston replies "don't know" - someone tells them what it is, and thurston says something like "sometimes we sound like we're ripping ourselves off." Don't know what point I'm trying to make, but its interesting.

neptuneg 05.14.2007 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrungeMonkey
I remember an article in a magazine, I think it was a copy of filter I bought in america, where sy were listening to dripping dream without knowing, and lee asks thurston "who is this?" to which thurston replies "don't know" - someone tells them what it is, and thurston says something like "sometimes we sound like we're ripping ourselves off." Don't know what point I'm trying to make, but its interesting.

yeah, I read that. it made me sad.

screamingskull 05.14.2007 04:05 PM

that makes me sad too. :( :( :(

k-krack 05.14.2007 04:13 PM

That's fuckin' weird haha. I love The Dripping Dream.
Listening to Nurse last night, and this morning... I never give that album enough credit. Holy cow, what a fucking amazing album. Just all the little subtleties are mind-blowing. Way-to-go, Jim, you NOISE-MONGER! (hahahaa)

All Hail WATT 05.14.2007 04:27 PM

thanks for the info. I may have read it before, both of those bits, but i am a bit crusty now that i'm over 30, shhhhhh.

I really dig the guitar lead in it. It sounds like something I have heard before, but I can never pull what I am thinking of out of my brain.

Guess I never changed my mind, so it burned out...

Protectmeyou 05.15.2007 01:29 AM

I guess I was lucky to see it played live then. They closed with it at their show at The Forum, Melbourne 2004. Great gig.