Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   The Flying Luttenbachers break up!!!!!!!!!!! (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=18482)

Everyneurotic 12.22.2007 01:16 PM

The Flying Luttenbachers break up!!!!!!!!!!!

from skin graft's website:

...after 16 years of uncompromising excellence, our old pal Weasel Walter has decided to lower the curtain on The FLYING LUTTENBACHERS. As you may know, Weasel had been releasing the latest Luttenbachers work on his UG EXPLODE imprint of late, and he offered this statement as to why he’s decided to draw the Luttenbachers to a close at this time:

"over the last two or three years it was starting to seem like i was keeping this mess going just to "prove something" - to myself, to my friends, to my enemies, etc. i guess what i was trying to prove is that nothing could stop the band. that's not a very good reason to have a band, honestly. the serious lack of support and recognition for the flying luttenbachers had drained me almost completely by late 2006. i was a nervous wreck and momentum was at an absolute zero. around november of this year, i realized there really was nothing to "prove" by keeping it going, i felt free and decided to end it on an artistic high note, the new album "incarceration by abstraction". this is the best decision for me. i don't regret anything the band has done, but it's simply time to move on. i'm not done making music yet - not by a long shot. how and why i make music has to be looked at in a different light. there's got to be a way to do this without killing myself for it. i continue to play in xbxrx, recently joined burmese and will focus on my improvised music options next year, including writing more material for large ensembles. if people think they're going to "miss" the flying luttenbachers, my suggestion is that they listen a little closer to the music the band has already made. i assure you that there's plenty left to chew on inside of those recordings. perhaps if i feel like a wider audience is ready for it, we'll reappear, but until then we've done all we can do. any more would be quixotic and futile."

Earlier this year, SKiN GRAFT released THE FLYING LUTTENBACHERS “Destroy All Music Revisited” CD, which documents the formative punk-jazz era of the band. Just today, this review landed in the Skin Graft in-box from ALLABOUTJAZZ.COM, so we suggest you give that a look. And wily old Weasel is not through here at Camp Skin Graft, even as the Jazzy One types, Weasel is hard at work mixing AIDS WOLF’s next magnum opus, scheduled for release next year!

----

this sucks big time.

gualbert 12.22.2007 01:49 PM

How sad...
Well , not really.
I like Lake of Dracula a lot , but the grind-free-jazz of FL pisses me off.

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 12.22.2007 01:57 PM

Wow, that sucks.

Everyneurotic 12.22.2007 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gualbert
How sad...
Well , not really.
I like Lake of Dracula a lot , but the grind-free-jazz of FL pisses me off.

ohh no you didn't...

dazedcola 12.22.2007 02:34 PM

this sucks, especially since I Just bought destroy all music. I doubt this will be the last we hear from weasel walter musically though.

Dead-Air 12.22.2007 02:45 PM

I believe he's done this at least once before though. He's been known to do solo shows as the FL when he'd either fired the band or they quit.

Everyneurotic 12.22.2007 04:06 PM

weasel is in xbxrx, burmese and does the weasel walter quartet, among many other collaborations and stuff.

Inhuman 12.22.2007 08:45 PM

Wow, they've really been around for some time. I only have "Revenge of the FL", but thoughly enjoy it; and was one of my favorite skin graft releases.

atsonicpark 12.22.2007 08:46 PM

Well, obviously I like them, but honestly, they have kinda ran their course, so it's probably more for the best.

Everyneurotic 12.22.2007 08:55 PM

i don't know, i love cataclysm.

atsonicpark 12.22.2007 09:01 PM

Yeah, I dug it too.

I'm just saying, they have a shit ton of material, I think they've kinda ran their course by this point, so it's understandable.

Everyneurotic 12.22.2007 09:04 PM

i get your point.

it probably got to weasel's head and now he just wants to focus on drumming instead of writing, masterminding, producing, make concepts, etc.

HaydenAsche 12.22.2007 09:41 PM

Bummer, man.

HaydenAsche 12.22.2007 09:43 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQ-JAG8vSDs

khchris(original) 12.27.2007 12:48 AM

i talked to ww @ the xbxrx/aids wolf/HEALTH(keep an eye on these guys!) show at the smell a while ago (oct-nov) and told me, "this is the last FL record...I am over it already." Sounds like he was frustrated by the lack of support which carries into lack of committment from players. I thought "the void" was an incredible approach in a different direction but i do not think people are as up-to-speed with what ww does...he has always been one of the few who has not catered to trends or worried what other people were doing so much. like many great bands of the past, they never got the credit and respect they deserved. it reminds me of how great trumans water were in the early_mid 90s, but nobody really were into them except for a few of us at the time. atleast they are stilldoing it!

btw, the last FL album is AAAAAAMMMMMMAAAAAAZZZZZZZIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNGGGGGGG ! ww plays almost everything (like on systems emerge)

i personally think it blows away the last XBXRX record by a mile: Burmese has someone that also played on THE VOID (mike green i think?). the last track sounds totally like sleepytime gorilla museum!

PAULYBEE2656 12.27.2007 07:13 AM

shame cuz ive only started really getting their back catalog. cataclysm is awesome.... shame but yknow... shit happens!