Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   what are you reading? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=3180)

_tunic_ 06.04.2022 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
so how did you like it? this book blew my mind when i first read it, i must have been 18 or so. i go back to it every so often, and while i now can see through its construction, it still manages to keep me engaged. kinda hate the new cover lol. but yeah so much fun.

I'm a very slow reader, I'm currently still at page 126. [spoiler alert but not really] They've only just moved to the other planet and discovered the botanical garden.
As I said, I had to get used to the lingo but I do like how it's written

For some reason I'm picturing the Duke as the Dude

The Soup Nazi 06.05.2022 08:28 PM

!@#$%! 06.07.2022 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _tunic_
I'm a very slow reader, I'm currently still at page 126. [spoiler alert but not really] They've only just moved to the other planet and discovered the botanical garden.
As I said, I had to get used to the lingo but I do like how it's written

For some reason I'm picturing the Duke as the Dude

haaahaaahaaahaaaa duke leto!

great visuals lmao

and slow reading is good... it's a big fat book too.

now you make me wanna read it again hahahahaaa

Severian 06.09.2022 06:20 AM

OH! I forgot to mention I finished The Brothers Karamazov! What an excellent book. Dense but not impenetrable at all. Rich in parable, allegory, insight and humor. Sometimes beautiful, sometimes tragic. I just loved it.
Well worth the effort.

Rob Instigator 06.09.2022 08:56 AM

I will need to read it. I never read it but it was my moms fave book.

she said when I was born, if I had been a girl, the plan was to name me Alexandra Ludovika Torres!

Severian 06.09.2022 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I will need to read it. I never read it but it was my moms fave book.

she said when I was born, if I had been a girl, the plan was to name me Alexandra Ludovika Torres!

I was initially recommended it by someone who named their kid Alyosha (Alexey for short)!

Rob Instigator 06.10.2022 09:29 AM

I am reading cyberpunk author Rudy Rucker's autobiography NESTED SCROLLS.

So far so awesome.

LuntiX 08.29.2022 12:53 PM

The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner.

It took me a few attempts to get started, but it's actually quite a page turner once you start getting invested in the characters. The beginning is definitely a bit of a slog though.

Severian 08.30.2022 06:12 AM

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova.

Also I read The Time Traveler’s Wife and WOW JESUS WHAT A TERRIBLE BOOK. Just a horrible story about grooming, featuring a bunch of truly loathsome people being awful. It’s not cute or charming, it’s fucking weird and bad.
Plus it is 100% about grooming, can’t convince me otherwise. But it’s like, “the grooming is OK in this instance!”

Eat shit, Time Traveler’s Wife, fuck off

!@#$%! 10.24.2022 01:47 PM

the financial times

it used to be incomprehensible to me but not no more

Rob Instigator 10.28.2022 09:55 AM

Finally finished the amazing and seminal work THE ORIGIN OF ALL RELIGIOUS WORSHIP by Charles-François Dupuis.

My thoughts on it are here: https://rxttbooks.blogspot.com/2022/...red-truth.html

Severian 10.29.2022 06:10 AM

Still reading The Historian, hah! Big long book, to be sure, but I’m only halfway through, and I knocked out Brothers Karamazov in much less time. So maybe it’s just not the right time to read The Historian.

The Soup Nazi 11.13.2022 03:39 AM

The latest Forced Exposure Mailorder Update newsletter. Pausing here and there to check out some of the titles mentioned in it on AllMusic and Bandcamp, it took me over two hours to read the whole freakin' thing...

choc e-Claire 11.14.2022 03:36 AM

Recently finished The Man in the High Castle, have gotten halfway through Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Should probably make sure I don't let all the books fall overdue though...

Toilet & Bowels 12.28.2022 04:08 AM

I'm reading The Count of Montecristo, and I'm reading it at a snails pace because i haven't had much spare time in the last couple of months

The Soup Nazi 12.28.2022 04:25 AM

choc e-Claire 12.28.2022 08:20 AM

Leafing through Eduardo Galeano's Football in Sun and Shadow, but his American translator insists on calling it soccer.

nasser 02.11.2023 11:52 AM

Rational Optimist by Matt Ridley.

choc e-Claire 02.26.2023 06:54 AM

Empire of the Sun by J.G. Ballard.

Bertrand 03.22.2023 08:16 AM

Trying to read Mariam Petrosyan's Gray House, but it's a bit discomforting.

I read Edgar Hilsenrath's Night last month, I guess I should have found something lighter between these two books.
And I've received my order of Selby' Demon...
What was I thinking about?