Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   SY drug hx (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=25119)

squirrel_bait 09.03.2008 06:45 AM

SY drug hx

I've been thinking about drugs and the influence on music in general which got me thinking about SY. Does anyone know what their drug history is and what substances, if any, may have been used during the making of their albums? I always wonder if a band's evolution has anything to do with their (altered) state of mind at the time.

atsonicpark 09.03.2008 06:48 AM

Here is their complete drug history:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_drugs

Cantankerous 09.03.2008 06:49 AM

who the fuck cares?

_slavo_ 09.03.2008 06:49 AM

thurston did acid at some point, lee used to be into smoking weed and blablablablabla
not that it matters or what.

atsonicpark 09.03.2008 06:50 AM

duH I THINK THEY SMOKED WEED ON DAYDREAM NATION CUZ PROVIDENCE SAS SO THURT0N U STONED

atsonicpark 09.03.2008 06:51 AM

"hey any of you freaks out there ever remember lenny?" I think Lenny was Lee's junk dealer... Kim definitely smoked meth. She's actually a 20 year old woman but she looks much older. I got all this information from reliable sources.

Okay, okay. Who cares.

squirrel_bait 09.03.2008 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Here is their complete drug history:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_drugs

I luld

squirrel_bait 09.03.2008 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _slavo_
thurston did acid at some point, lee used to be into smoking weed and blablablablabla
not that it matters or what.

I think it does matter when looking at how music came to be. Not that's it good music, but would the bands out of the Manchester scene in the 90s even exist if it wasn't for boatloads of acid.

_slavo_ 09.03.2008 06:58 AM

ZEROpumpkins 09.03.2008 07:00 AM

No Wai Sonic Yooth Would Neva Do Drugs Or Have Sex

Everyone Knows Kim Is A Virgin!!!1

squirrel_bait 09.03.2008 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZEROpumpkins
No Wai Sonic Yooth Would Neva Do Drugs Or Have Sex

Everyone Knows Kim Is A Virgin!!!1

Well, that confirms what I always thought - SY are a straightedge band. Everything makes sense now. Thank you.

atsonicpark 09.03.2008 07:15 AM

Sure, drugs enhance a person's creativity and drive often. But in the long run, a person's creative because they're creative, not because drugs made them creative. I dunno if that's the point you're trying to make, but tracing SY's drug history isn't going to really any secret truth behind their recordings. I'm guessing a riff or a lyric came to mind during a late night acid session, sure, but does it really matter?

It's an interesting thing to talk about but it's really not that important and I dunno how any of us would have this information, and I doubt that SY themselves could tell you what drugs they've done. I'm sure they've done everything.

Your replies to our replies have been pretty funny by the way, haha..

ZEROpumpkins 09.03.2008 07:18 AM

Yeah good to see a new poster who isn't driven away by our extreme sarchasm. That deserves a rep.

squirrel_bait 09.03.2008 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Sure, drugs enhance a person's creativity and drive often. But in the long run, a person's creative because they're creative, not because drugs made them creative. I dunno if that's the point you're trying to make, but tracing SY's drug history isn't going to really any secret truth behind their recordings. I'm guessing a riff or a lyric came to mind during a late night acid session, sure, but does it really matter?

It's an interesting thing to talk about but it's really not that important and I dunno how any of us would have this information, and I doubt that SY themselves could tell you what drugs they've done. I'm sure they've done everything.

Your replies to our replies have been pretty funny by the way, haha..

Yes, I know it's not really that important, but it's just something that popped into my mind when I was digging through my iTunes yesterday. I agree that a creative person is going to be creative no matter what is in their system at the time. It just can sometimes be interesting to look at what was happening, who was doing what, who was doing who, etc when a certain album was made. Idk. Things I post about early in the morning whilst sipping coffee at work...

andrei 09.03.2008 07:57 AM

Thuston stated in many interviews that they don't do drugs when they are recording or performing live...

mil_pl 09.03.2008 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cantankerous
who the fuck cares?

who cares about your posts :rolleyes: ?

pedestrian 09.03.2008 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squirrel_bait
Yes, I know it's not really that important, but it's just something that popped into my mind when I was digging through my iTunes yesterday. I agree that a creative person is going to be creative no matter what is in their system at the time. It just can sometimes be interesting to look at what was happening, who was doing what, who was doing who, etc when a certain album was made. Idk. Things I post about early in the morning whilst sipping coffee at work...

I have to agree. While the music is most important, it's always interesting to get the full story behind the albums I love. And drugs certainly do play a role in a LOT of the albums that I love. Pretty interesting topic, actually.

squirrel_bait 09.03.2008 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedestrian
I have to agree. While the music is most important, it's always interesting to get the full story behind the albums I love. And drugs certainly do play a role in a LOT of the albums that I love. Pretty interesting topic, actually.

Well, thank you!
Apathy is another interesting topic. =P

Cantankerous 09.03.2008 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mil_pl
who cares about your posts :rolleyes: ?

you're terrible at being a cunt.

mil_pl 09.03.2008 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cantankerous
you're terrible at being a cunt.

thanks catanky! *kiss* you can always cunt on me.